News   Apr 18, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The two 141 trips don't get their own run either. They are just special 32's that start downtown. The 143 in the meantime need to head back downtown once it's done its first trip. I could imagine the operating cost for the 143's are much higher than 141. 144 is even worst by running on the DVP.
If you look at the ridership data for 2014 route 141 had 160 riders per day, and they drive 170 kilometres a day. So just less than 1 rider per kilometre. All the 140-series routes are 1 or less riders per kilometre - except 143 which has 420 riders per day for 340 kilometres of service. So I'd imagine that the 143 operating cost is less than any of the other routes.

The 144 has the most riders though (690) but also the most kilometres driven (770).

Compare though to the 501 Queen, which is where the 143 passengers probably should be ... 52,200 riders for 9,100 kilometres of service. Or an efficient bus route like 22 Coxwell, which has 6,300 riders for only 930 kilometres of service.

Even the much criticized as empty 65 Parliament has 4,600 riders for only 570 kilometres of service - being one of the cheapest per passenger-kilometre.

If you look at the ridership data for 2014 route 141 had 160 riders per day, and they drive 170 kilometres a day. So just less than 1 rider per kilometre. All the 140-series routes are 1 or less riders per kilometre - except 143 which has 420 riders per day for 340 kilometres of service. So I'd imagine that the 143 operating cost is less than any of the other routes.

The 144 has the most riders though (690) but also the most kilometres driven (770).

Compare though to the 501 Queen, which is where the 143 passengers probably should be ... 52,200 riders for 9,100 kilometres of service. Or an efficient bus route like 22 Coxwell, which has 6,300 riders for only 930 kilometres of service.

Even the much criticized as empty 65 Parliament has 4,600 riders for only 570 kilometres of service - being one of the cheapest per passenger-kilometre.

Perhaps the extra fare has something to do with that?

The TTC's Downtown Express lines might be the most pathetic thing the TTC operates, and that is saying something! First, their "express" moniker is dubious at best. Most routes still stop every 400-500m, which is arguably what most bus lines should be targeting. Even then, the bus is as fast as a regular route which manages to skip a stop cause no one gets on or off, big whoop! The routes operate in mixed traffic with signals, eating up much of the potential time savings. I'll overlook the lack of frequency, but they are standard buses yet still charge an extra fare. Considering all this, it is a miracle that anyone takes them at all!

The TTC should consider removing the extra fare and operating them more frequently. Such a setup could provide some minor relief for the subway.

The TTC's Downtown Express lines might be the most pathetic thing the TTC operates, and that is saying something! First, their "express" moniker is dubious at best. Most routes still stop every 400-500m, which is arguably what most bus lines should be targeting. Even then, the bus is as fast as a regular route which manages to skip a stop cause no one gets on or off, big whoop! The routes operate in mixed traffic with signals, eating up much of the potential time savings. I'll overlook the lack of frequency, but they are standard buses yet still charge an extra fare. Considering all this, it is a miracle that anyone takes them at all!

The TTC should consider removing the extra fare and operating them more frequently. Such a setup could provide some minor relief for the subway.

Council mandated that TTC operates these premium express routes. The TTC can't decide to stop operating them independently.

That's part of what the board is considering when the June express routes report isn't it? It was one of the staff recommendation in the August 2014 service report.

Council mandated that TTC operates these premium express routes. The TTC can't decide to stop operating them independently.
Since when? The most recent one they added was at the direction of the TTC board - I don't recall it ever going to council. As far as I know, the TTC board can end these routes without council permission.

Since when? The most recent one they added was at the direction of the TTC board - I don't recall it ever going to council. As far as I know, the TTC board can end these routes without council permission.

Oh, maybe this was the TTC Board.. But the TTC Board is made up of City Councillors. The TTC can't dissolve these routes without permission from politicians, whether they be on the TTC Board or at Council, is what I was alluding to.

Was on QQ this week and watch a fool almost get run over by a streetcar as he walked westbound in the centre of the westbound track. Driver lay on the horn and bell on was on this fool ass before he heard the horn. He looked at the diver and then got off the ROW. I could hear him over a 100 feet away with no problem and the fool was most likely ear plug.

Few minutes later at Spadina, watch an amour truck drive up on to the ROW and headed east. Nothing was coming west at this point.

Oh, maybe this was the TTC Board.. But the TTC Board is made up of City Councillors. The TTC can't dissolve these routes without permission from politicians, whether they be on the TTC Board or at Council, is what I was alluding to.
Half the board is also filled with clueless councilors asking questions like why are these routes picked, so it's like the Dufferin express bus where some buses skip stops, can we run an express bus from Kipling to Union, why can't we copy Vancouver's zone system for subways and make it cheaper on local routes, why do we have to go to Davisville to get a presto card, it's so difficult and other stupid questions.

None of these people actually know anything about how transit operates in Toronto.

What you're describing is BRT, not an express bus route. The 14x's routes are express buses. The TTC doesn't distinguish between limited stop and express buses either.

BRT - express stops with further distance between them, signal priority, dedicated lanes and possibility grade separation. Usually with all door boarding (VIVA rapidways) or not (Mississauga Transitway, TTC 196)
BRT-lite - same as BRT but operates in mix traffic (VIVA without rapidway)
Express - most stops at both ends of the route with a large express portion (TTC 14x's, 191, 192, GO Buses)
Limited-stop buses - stops at major intersections, does not take the highway/no express portions along the route (most TTC express/rocket routes like 41E,53E,60F,95E,195,198,199, etc.)

TTC also have some weird combinations like the 45E which is an express-local route. There's an express portion skipping 15 local stops, a limited stop portion and a large local portion. 54E is really not an express route. The 139E should really be drop the E, it stops at every local stop on Finch unlike the 199. TTC's express/rocket routes are really confusing.

It seems odd there is no protocol in place to have the police assist with getting shuttle buses back in service at terminal points. I saw a comical number of empty buses stuck on University waiting to turn left at Front. The backlog occupied two lanes and extended all the way north to King. It appeared only one bus could manage the turn every light cycle, yet another four would arrive in the queue in that time.

It seems odd there is no protocol in place to have the police assist with getting shuttle buses back in service at terminal points. I saw a comical number of empty buses stuck on University waiting to turn left at Front. The backlog occupied two lanes and extended all the way north to King. It appeared only one bus could manage the turn every light cycle, yet another four would arrive in the queue in that time.

I think the police have their hands full this morning. They are assisting. Can't be in every place at one time.

I think the police have their hands full this morning. They are assisting. Can't be in every place at one time.

What's their plan for Line 1 outage - if you can't prevent it from going down, at least have emergency plans that would basically turn Yonge into a busway. But no, we can't have that. Why? The susceptibility of the system to single point failures and the utter disinterest in planning for it is a distressing illustration of how out to lunch the authorities are.

AoD

Back