News   Apr 24, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 424     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 772     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Drum118 posts on "Trams that never stop at traffic lights" in Melbourne. In Edmonton apparently they have a different way of doing things!

EDMONTON — Testing results of the Metro LRT Line found there could be “significant” traffic delays on key routes during peak rush hours and that some delays could be permanent.

At some crossings, a report estimates drivers might wait only two minutes while LRT trains operate on a 15-minute frequency.
However, for two specific intersections being impacted by the LRT line, the wait could be as long as 16 minutes.

The report said, “Princess Elizabeth Avenue/106 Street and 111 Avenue/Kingsway Avenue will be particularly busy and traffic will queue in all directions. The addition of regular LRT service will create situations where queues will persist and lengthen until a train cycle has cleared and vehicle traffic cycles through for the intervening 15 minutes.

See:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2199883/d...Article&utm_medium=Outbrain&utm_campaign=2015

At some crossings, a report estimates drivers might wait only two minutes while LRT trains operate on a 15-minute frequency.
However, for two specific intersections being impacted by the LRT line, the wait could be as long as 16 minutes.

The report said, “Princess Elizabeth Avenue/106 Street and 111 Avenue/Kingsway Avenue will be particularly busy and traffic will queue in all directions. The addition of regular LRT service will create situations where queues will persist and lengthen until a train cycle has cleared and vehicle traffic cycles through for the intervening 15 minutes.

See:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2199883/d...Article&utm_medium=Outbrain&utm_campaign=2015
I watched the news video and they didn't really explain how a 16 minutes 'queue' could form. I did check one of those intersections on Google maps; the roads don't cross at a right angle, and the course of the track ends up blocking both roads about one hundred feet south and also east of the intersection; but I still don't understand what circumstances would arise to cause a delay that enormous. Even in the worst case scenario where as soon as a train passes in one direction, a train triggers the crossing arms to stay down as it arrives in the opposite direction, how would such a massive backlog of traffic form up that isn't there already from regular traffic signals?

Last edited:
Drum118 posts on "Trams that never stop at traffic lights" in Melbourne. In Edmonton apparently they have a different way of doing things!

EDMONTON — Testing results of the Metro LRT Line found there could be “significant” traffic delays on key routes during peak rush hours and that some delays could be permanent.

See:

About two weeks ago I read someone combining about the long waits to cross the LRT tracks in Calgary.

With the talk of fare increase and cut in service takes me back to a conversation I heard a month ago.

All 65+ supervisors hired before the Pan AM games are gone in 2016 along with 2% of TTC work force. The 2% was to happen this year, but push back to 2016 because of the games.

With the increase of service level announced in the last few months, cut in TTC staff in 2016, how is TTC going to do what Tory wants without reversing this position on Transit??

Is Tory trying to paint council into a corner to keep current staff level as well service level by forcing the city to kick in more money than in the past to do it??

If Tory goes back on his word in not supporting increase in TTC funding to keep increase of service, he going to have egg on this face and be a one term mayor.

Cash fare should go up $.25 since it cost more to move around. Tokens and Tickets will be gone by 2017/18 depending on Presto roll out. Other than cash fare increase, no fare increase at all and time for the city to kick in more to cover the extra cost.

Time for distance, zone or mode based fares. It's absurd to ask someone to pay $3.00 for a single off-peak 5-15 minute trip on a bus or streetcar.

Reading through the TTC budget information. Lots of arguing about fares. But I'm surprised no one's mentioned some of the other stuff:
  • Sunday morning subway service to start at 8 AM
  • Three-minute service on Line 1 before 10 PM
  • for new express bus routes, running all-day and weekends
  • Streetcar service to start on Cherry street

Reactions: PL1
Reading through the TTC budget information. Lots of arguing about fares. But I'm surprised no one's mentioned some of the other stuff:
  • Sunday morning subway service to start at 8 AM
  • Three-minute service on Line 1 before 10 PM
  • for new express bus routes, running all-day and weekends
  • Streetcar service to start on Cherry street
Cherry St been known over a year already.

Not sure if 10 pm a typo for am or having 3 minute service up to 10 PM. Not a game changer since you are still using the same # of crews with less layover.

Opening up on Sunday a hour early will help some what, but will mean more weekend or earlier closure. Been talked about for a decade or 2 already on opening up sooner.

As for express service and off peak, that Tory sword to fall on if it kill or cut back since he call for it, regardless its been in TTC playbook for years.

Time for the city to step up on funding TTC period.

Fare by distance will kill transit in the city. Even time travel, as all it needs to happen is to have service go down on one leg of travel route to cost the rider more money. Is TTC prepared to cover these extra cost when some of it outside their control in the first place let along their control???

Cherry St been known over a year already.
I didn't know that it had been budgeted. We also now roughly when now, given that they are only budgeting about 40% of the annual $2 million cost. September board would be my guess.

Not sure if 10 pm a typo for am or having 3 minute service up to 10 PM. Not a game changer since you are still using the same # of crews with less layover.
If same number of crews, why is it going to add $12.7 million a year in operating cost? It's by far the biggest operating cost increase. Though I don't know how you go from about every 5 minutes on weekends to every 3 minutes without extra crews.

Time for the city to step up on funding TTC period.
Seems that there's been a huge step up by city funding to TTC in the last 12 months.

Behind the scenes at TTC's maintenance shops to benefit United Way

September 16, 2015

The TTC is holding its annual open house to benefit the United Way at its Hillcrest facility. There will be a variety of activities for guests of all ages to enjoy, ranging from a golf challenge to a hockey shootout and paintball. Visitors can take a guided tour of the Harvey and Duncan Shops, see the vintage Peter Witt streetcar and the new low-floor streetcar, or simply enjoy the BBQ and corn roast.

Date: Sat., Sept. 19, 2015
Time: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

A historic PCC streetcar will operate as a shuttle between Bathurst Station and the Hillcrest complex for those taking transit to the event.

Established in 1923, Harvey Shop is the major maintenance facility for the streetcar fleet, and component manufacturer for subway cars and buses. Duncan Shop is a major maintenance component overhaul facility for the TTC bus fleet.

Admission is $5 for adults and $2 for children with all proceeds supporting the United Way.

That was a great visit last year with kids! They had both PCC's doing the shuttle to Bathurst station

(and I realized coming back, and changing to 510 at Spadina, that I'd never paid a fare ... though perhaps my transfer from getting there was still valid, as I never left the TTC :) )

Based on the documents, it looks like as far as Cherry St is concerned, it will indeed operate as a sub-route overlapping with the existing 504 (Dundas W-Broadview) route; on the east end it'll run from Cherry Loop heading north to and west along King, on the west it runs "to Downtown". Note the difference vs. the existing route heading west "to Downtown and Dundas West Stn". Of course, nobody really thought they'd run it as far as Dundas West, but this is, as far as I know, the most information we've gotten in terms of an official plan for Cherry.

What remains to be seen is:
  • what "to Downtown" means; at a minimum it would follow the 503's Church-Wellington-York, could use Bathurst or Shaw in some fashion, or maybe go as far as Roncesvalles, but my money is definitely on Dufferin--it certainly seems to make the most sense, serving both the new development on Cherry and increasing service for Liberty Village adjacent to Dufferin Loop
  • whether they still call this portion the 504 King, or assign a new route number and just have "504 Broadview/Dundas W" and "504 Cherry/Dufferin"
  • similarly to the route number, I don't think they've said for sure whether or not this will be a 24-hour route/part of the 304 King blue-night service
  • how much service is scheduled for Cherry-Dufferin (or wherever it runs to) vs Broadview-Dundas W
Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 753

Back