News   Apr 22, 2024
 803     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 681     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I take it that the new ROW streetcar tracks around River and King are there to accommodate that Pan Am Games location. Maybe they'll also temporarily make use of the new streetcars to run on it for show too.

But that would be too cheap and simple. We need an EA for each location. We need a year long study period. Then we need the Rolls Royce version because of the city's inferiority complex.

From what I've seen, when it comes to the TTC and the city in general they usually go for the cheapest option. I only wish they gave us Rolls Royce.

From what I've seen, when it comes to the TTC and the city in general they usually go for the cheapest option. I only wish they gave us Rolls Royce.

Exactly everything is always about the cheapest in this city. What's this crap about Rolls Royce version? Look at how the city looks. Everything is done on the cheap.

Staff has be requested to produce a report how about going about installing bike storage places for busy transit stops and stations throughout the city. Also how to encourage riders to ride to X spot and leave their bike there and used transit.

Its is really time to jump to the 21st regarding bikes and transit. Those who been to Europe have seen the storage parking structures for bikes alone as well other types of storage there and needs to happen here.

That's good, that was something Tory promised.

As I've said before, Eglinton & Davisville stations are pretty ideal for bike parking at subway stations. They are surrounded by high density housing (apartment neighbourhoods) anywhere between 5-25 min walk away from the station, with a high percentage of transit users commuting to downtown. Although some of these are near Eglinton with very good bus service, many are further north or south of the bus lines. That walk could easily be a 2-10 min bike ride for those people.

I take it that the new ROW streetcar tracks around River and King are there to accommodate that Pan Am Games location. Maybe they'll also temporarily make use of the new streetcars to run on it for show too.
I was hopping streetcars would be running there late last year to show the new residents looking at this area to move into after the games are over that you don't need a car to live there.

Staff has stated since there is no one living there now, no need for the line until 2016. Operation cost for this line is in 2016 budget.

Staff fails to understand that there are people already living there now as well visitors going to the Distillery District daily. It would help when 504 was on detour.

I first noticed it a couple of days ago when riding there. Is it a new route altogether or a spur of an existing route....
Its a new line that stub at this time until the Mouth of The Don is built as well a new Cherry St west of the current one. This stub will go south once the New Cherry Street is built as well the new bridge for it.

The line will tie into the new Queens Quay E and Commissioner Lines. A loop will be built at the shipping channel. Don't expect to see these line until 2025-30 at the earliest.

Think Toronto or the TTC are the only places that are slow with repair and upgrades? Check out this story on repairs to New York City's subway lines due to Hurricane Sandy. That's 2012's Hurricane Sandy. From this link:

The slow pace of MTA spending as Cranberry Tube Sandy work looms
8149552042_cf8275d7bb_z.jpg

As major events go, for many New Yorkers, Superstorm Sandy is beginning to feel like ancient history. The storm swept through the region in late October of 2012, and while we shouldn’t overlook those communities still rebuilding and recovering, large parts of the city were untouched by the storm’s destructiveness. Thus, there is no small bit of cognitive dissonance that arises when something major happens in the name of Sandy repairs.

One of the ways in which Sandy has affected many New Yorkers who never saw the flood waters take out their homes and neighborhoods is, of course, via the subways. We’ve seen the images of flooded tunnels, and Brooklynites in particular have lived through R and G train shutdowns for repairs. Lately, though, other than work piggy-backed onto the 7 line weekend shutdowns for CBTC installation, it seems as though Sandy repairs in the tunnels have come to a standstill. (Other Fix & Fortify work not visible to riders has continued apace.) In April of 2014, we learned that the A and C trains’ Cranberry Tube would be the next to undergo repair work, and as late as November, the MTA had planned to do the work on 40 weekends throughout 2015. Well, here we are in late June with nary a sign of work on the 8th Avenue line.

That’s about to change as the Daily News reports that Fix & Fortify work will begin on the Cranberry Tubes on July 11 and run for 40 non-consecutive weekends over the next 16 months. That means work on the A/C lines won’t end until the fourth anniversary of Sandy, and the MTA will still need to address damage to the F train’s Rutgers Tubes, the IRT’s Clark St. and Joralemon St. tunnels and, of course, the L train work, which might begin before the decade is out.

And that's just for the damage caused by the hurricane.

I wonder what happened with the Queen streetcar this morning. I was trying to catch it west at Spadina this morning around 7:30. NextBus said 24, 25, 26, and 28 minutes for the next streetcars. I ended up walking, and after 20 minutes walking, it still said 23 minutes for the next streetcar. Lots of very peeved looking people at the stops.

I wonder what happened with the Queen streetcar this morning. I was trying to catch it west at Spadina this morning around 7:30. NextBus said 24, 25, 26, and 28 minutes for the next streetcars. I ended up walking, and after 20 minutes walking, it still said 23 minutes for the next streetcar. Lots of very peeved looking people at the stops.

There was a building collapse at Queen and Parliament and the 501 was diverted for several hours.

That happened:

Brilliant driving there. It looks like the front of the Flexity passed through without derailing, so I can only assume the CLRV turned into it as it was passing. Maybe the operator let off the breaks and it drifted forwards?

Back