News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 338     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 904     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

@smallspy might be able to offer some thoughts.

Its something I've asked about (at a high level). The curves around Sherbourne are an issue, I gather.

In other spots it may 'just' be a matter of dollars.
The curves aren't the issue at Sherbourne, the issue is that the tunnels are bored to the west. Because of the distance to the surface there, I'm not sure that excavating a cavern is viable - it may require an open-cut in order to do it.

Perhaps east of the station, but they've never modified tunnels that heavily before (adding a two-track cavern where one didn't exist previously. I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure what that would entail, or even if it would be possible.

Also, earlier you noted that Chester was out of service. That is correct - the early closures for the past week, and this weekend's closure, are to replace the trackwork through there.

Dan

How many crossovers will the O/L have?

At least it will have Platform Edge Doors.....
There's a crossover east and west of Exhibition Station, another east of Queen station, one west of the Don portal, one north of Pape station, one north of Science Centre station. So a total of 6.

I've marked the rough areas of where they will be located in red. It's easier to see the dearth of them this way:

Ontario Line (crossover locations).jpg

There's a crossover east and west of Exhibition Station, another east of Queen station, one west of the Don portal, one north of Pape station, one north of Science Centre station. So a total of 6.

I've marked the rough areas of where they will be located in red. It's easier to see the dearth of them this way:

View attachment 559514
As I recall, Science Centre Station was configured the same as Exhibition, with double-crossovers on either end of the platform.

As well, there will be crossovers at the MSF.

Dan

As I recall, Science Centre Station was configured the same as Exhibition, with double-crossovers on either end of the platform.

As well, there will be crossovers at the MSF.

Dan
I purposely omitted the MSF crossover as I cant imagine how useful that would be for an in-service disruption, but you're certainly correct.

That's interesting regarding crossover at Science Centre, I thought I saw that it was intended to be on the south end of the station but later it was confirmed to be north of it.

I purposely omitted the MSF crossover as I cant imagine how useful that would be for an in-service disruption, but you're certainly correct.

That's interesting regarding crossover at Science Centre, I thought I saw that it was intended to be on the south end of the station but later it was confirmed to be north of it.
The crossovers at the MSF site on the mainline are able to facilitate diversionary movements in case of disruption.

It only took me 1:5 hours to get from Jane to Kipling yesterday considering I was at the being of the mess. It took me an extra 2 hours to get home. Did hear a person talking to someone on the phone that they had no idea when they would be home, and the system wouldn't be running until Friday. I don't know where she got the info for not running until Friday from, but she was right.

With Bloor St now a single lane and shows how long since I been on it, it was stop and go to almost Islington where it became 2 lanes and wide open.

What got me, why our bus did the old route to Kipling and not use Bloor or Dundas to Ackland which was faster. Saw a number of buses using Bloor and Dundas both ways while waiting for my bus. Every type of bus was being used other than the BYD buses. A lot of the airport buses were on the 2-shuttle service.

TTC updates customers on Line 2 service disruption, cancels planned closure on Line 1

Apr. 26, 2024

The TTC is advising customers on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth that subway service between Kipling and Jane Stations remains suspended following yesterday’s track-level fire near Islington Station which caused extensive damage to critical electrical systems necessary to operate trains safely.

The transit agency anticipates that subway service between Kipling and Jane stations will remain closed through the weekend and could remain closed into early next week. Dozens of shuttle buses are in operation to provide alternate transportation options, and extra TTC station staff have been deployed within the closure zone to assist customers.

In addition to shuttle buses, customers have the option to ride GO Transit at the TTC fare on the GO Lakeshore West Line, providing additional transit options between the west-end and downtown.

While the cause of yesterday’s fire is under investigation, the TTC is assuring customers that all available resources have been mobilized to expedite repairs on the complex systems affected by the incident.

The TTC apologizes for the inconvenience and disruption that this service disruption has caused to customers and is committed to restoring safe and reliable service as quickly as possible. Dedicated crews are working around-the-clock to address the damage and make necessary repairs to ensure the resumption of normal subway operations along the affected portion of Line 2.

The TTC is cancelling the planned Saturday subway closure between Davisville and York Mills stations

To prioritize resources for Line 2 service restoration, the TTC has cancelled tomorrow's planned subway closure on Line 1 Yonge-University, which was scheduled between Davisville and York Mills stations. This move ensures that all available resources are focused on supplementing and restoring service on Line 2 as quickly as possible.

All planned track and tunnel work at Eglinton Station, as well as work requiring the closure of Lawrence Station, will be rescheduled to a later date.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service, as well as alternate route options. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on X or sign up for eAlerts.

The crossovers at the MSF site on the mainline are able to facilitate diversionary movements in case of disruption.
Is it confirmed that the crossovers will be in-line? I know there's a couple by the side of the MSF and some turnout tracks in-line, but last time I took a look it was tough to tell if there was any crossovers by the mainline track around the MSF.

I'm not sure that crossovers every 3 or 4 stations is a death. It sounds very good compared to some other lines.
Not sure I would describe it as very good, if they built it with another 2 then I would agree.

Back