189     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 543     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

No more...
bike_stuck_inturnstile.jpeg.size.custom.crop.866x650.jpg

Are these really "no more" though? I had been using the Ossington Station secondary entrance (Delaware Avenue) and they switched from these to Presto gates in the beginning of the year. I felt like most of any given week the new gates are broken and people kept (and will) pushing the flimsy translucent doors to go through without paying fares. You can also climb over them... I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually went back to these study turnstiles that go all the way up to the ceiling in unsupervised exits. They really should have just retrofitted these instead of going through an unnecessary cycle of trial and error with the silly new gates.

Are these really "no more" though? I had been using the Ossington Station secondary entrance (Delaware Avenue) and they switched from these to Presto gates in the beginning of the year. I felt like most of any given week the new gates are broken and people kept (and will) pushing the flimsy translucent doors to go through without paying fares. You can also climb over them... I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually went back to these study turnstiles that go all the way up to the ceiling in unsupervised exits. They really should have just retrofitted these instead of going through an unnecessary cycle of trial and error with the silly new gates.

The entire system is being converted to POP. They could theoretically eliminate all fare gates because if you’re on a TTC vehicle, you can be approached by a fare inspector and demanded to produce proof of payment. There are already plenty of holes in the system where you can access without going through a gate (ie streetcars) so there’s little point in trying to seal the system shut. A fare evader will find a way in. The way to stop them is the fear of random inspections.

The entire system is being converted to POP. They could theoretically eliminate all fare gates for the purpose of access because if you’re on a TTC vehicle, you can be approached by a fare inspector and demanded to produce proof of payment.

How prevalent will the fare inspectors be? On every subway train? I still see a lot of people taking their chances to push the gates (or walk through doors that are already broken) to get on the subway.

I was at Broadview yesterday and they've started the installation of new fare gates there as well. It seems to me that someone started pushing for faster installation. Over the last few weeks I've noticed Spadina, Bloor/Yonge and Broadview.

The gates at Bay were a mess today: one had both paddles stuck askew at different angles (it looked like a herd of office workers barged right through it!) and another get was stuck open. Maybe people are pushing the paddles or something. I like Presto so I hope things continue to improve over the remainder of the rollout.

Fare gates are currently or soon to be under construction at: Bloor-Yonge, Museum, Kipling, Dundas West, Dundas, Islington, King, Spadina, Broadview, Scarborough Centre, Don Mills, Bathurst, York Mills, St. George, and Queen.

Dundas looks so much better and more efficient with the new fare gates. It's like night and day compared to the old ones.

Back