News   Apr 23, 2024
 261     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 819     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 468     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

So tokens and physical metropasses are supposed to be phased out (i.e. no more being sold) by the end of the year, but the existing stations won't get a full Presto presto setup until at least "early 2018". It sounds like one of those two dates need to be updated.
The plan is not to phase out until it's everywhere. It's just a poor edit, surely.

The plan is not to phase out until it's everywhere. It's just a poor edit, surely.

Exactly. Some of the new gates at most entrances are outfitted with pass swipe readers, and collector booths at main entrances still take tokens and passes. Once everywhere has gates, it's a fairly quick and easy change to swap out the modular metropass readers for presto readers on that small percentage of gates.

They also said that last year was supposed to be the last full year of Metropasses and even put out special commemorative passes, looks like they jumped the gun.

They also said that last year was supposed to be the last full year of Metropasses and even put out special commemorative passes, looks like they jumped the gun.
Precisely. They've said end of 2016. Then end of 2017. But they've also said when Presto is installed everywhere. The only constant is that it's installed everywhere. I suppose if one location gets very delayed for an unpredictable reason, they might go ahead anyway ... but not if 10 downtown stations still need to be done.

I was rushing through Sherbourne and saw that they applied vinyl adhesive to the transparent gates. There's a DO NOT PUSH sticker on the top and a wide yellow band below. I guess this is them admitting that the transparent gates were a bad idea although I really liked how open it made the station feel.

I was rushing through Sherbourne and saw that they applied vinyl adhesive to the transparent gates. There's a DO NOT PUSH sticker on the top and a wide yellow band below. I guess this is them admitting that the transparent gates were a bad idea although I really liked how open it made the station feel.

Well technically this is an off the shelf product that's been in use for decades without much problems worldwide. Imo it's more of an admission to either our naivety towards current tech or just the brash nature of commuters in the TTC.
There's none of the pushing or shoving through closed gates here in Japan

Well technically this is an off the shelf product that's been in use for decades without much problems worldwide. Imo it's more of an admission to either our naivety towards current tech or just the brash nature of commuters in the TTC.
There's none of the pushing or shoving through closed gates here in Japan
I think it just comes down to it's new and people are used to the old style turnstiles from who know when. I'm sure some of the ones on the yonge like are still original from opening day.

Last edited:
So much for the problems with the gates being well on their way toward being fixed!

1-3 @PRESTOcard gates are down every day at donlands. Have been since they were installed. What gives. Cc @bradTTC @femwriter

DBHpCgdXsAEAhwa.jpg
https://twitter.com/PlanGinerd/status/869732442554474496

Back