News   Apr 24, 2024
 84     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 586     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

For simple machine code, even DOS works, albeit lacks flexibility in reconfiguring on the fly.

Environmental models are being built on FORTRAN. Every OS and programming language have their place and time. It's just sad that Presto's development team didn't fully think through what to use. Windows is a hog for memory compared to other OS. Has its pros (user interface, etc) but for this application none of the benefits of Windows are needed. It's almost as if they didn't do the analysis to determine which OS to use. Database management is not a strong suite in Windows.

Has there been any info on when the downtown stations will get the new faregates? Is any station being installed right now or have they stopped?

Total speculation but it would make sense to hold off the busiest stations until they figure out the problems with the gates. It's bad enough on less busy stations to be slowed down by slow and often closed gates but it would be a disaster at places like Union, Yonge-Bloor, King or other very busy stations.

Environmental models are being built on FORTRAN.
Yes, I do this! But Fortran please ... and no line numbers or STOP statements! Not since 90.

It's just sad that Presto's development team didn't fully think through what to use.
It does seem an odd, and perhaps lazy choice. I'd have assumed it would have been some low-level OS. Perhaps people don't have the ability to do that these days. Ultimately though, I'd think it would be less buggy. Not really my field though.

Environmental models are being built on FORTRAN. Every OS and programming language have their place and time. It's just sad that Presto's development team didn't fully think through what to use. Windows is a hog for memory compared to other OS. Has its pros (user interface, etc) but for this application none of the benefits of Windows are needed. It's almost as if they didn't do the analysis to determine which OS to use. Database management is not a strong suite in Windows.
Windows is pretty standard for major companies to use because both it and PC's are cheaper to get the Apple and other companies out there. It's more likely just cost saving then anything.

Windows is a terrible and wasteful operating system. Most professional organizations with good call her developers use Linux/Unix variant. The code should have been performance tested to resolve problems like this. I find it odd that the gates are so slow to open. It's more than one second. It should hen<500ms for the gate to react and open. Hopefully they will fix this eventually.

The third exit from Victoria Park the one off of the westbound platform is now open again with three fare gates two preto and one metropass gate which is also an accessible gate.

Finally - from the TTC:

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com.../Reports/10_PRESTO_Civil_Works_Fare_Gates.pdf

Early 2018 (no exact timeframe) for conversion of the remaining stations to faregates.

AoD
Gosh, already. May is just flying by.

Hmm:
The new fare gates are also wider than TTC’s current turnstiles and this will improve the customer experience across the entire subway network and increase accessibility for all customers requiring more space (e.g. customers with small children, walking aids, strollers, bikes etc.).

All very true - but it's not the small children that will be useful. My 4-year old takes great glee with simply walking underneath the current turnstiles without even ducking, while we all have to stop. It's the bigger children that are more difficult to carry! Getting through the old full-height ones at the Glen entrance to Sherbourne with a tall 8-year old was interesting!

On the other hand, with the paddle-style, the one recent issue we had with the 4-year old, is they got through, but had sped up a bit, and the adult didn't, leaving them stuck on the wrong side of the fare line after tapping out. As it was London, there was a station attendant right there, who quickly let her through anyway after a quick explanation and pointing at the concerned child. A good lesson on why using the wider gates with small children is a good idea all the time, as they don't close as fast, for this very reason.

I'm a bit concerned on how TTC thinks they are going to save money without the ticket sellers at the stations, given you still really need someone on the bigger farelines. Though I'm sure we've all rescued someone at some time or another who has been stuck somehow, when there's no-one around even now ...

Finally - from the TTC:

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com.../Reports/10_PRESTO_Civil_Works_Fare_Gates.pdf

Early 2018 (no exact timeframe) for conversion of the remaining stations to faregates.

AoD

Not exactly. That was their "target" but the wording seems to indicate that they will miss it. Right now, they can't establish when the work will be done as they're still getting plans together:

The target was to have this contract in place to ensure that fare gates would be operational at these 26 stations by early 2018. The actual timing for this work cannot be determined until the contract is in place and a schedule has been determined with PRESTO and the contractor for the civil works.

Not exactly. That was their "target" but the wording seems to indicate that they will miss it. Right now, they can't establish when the work will be done as they're still getting plans together:

I have to go by what they said without presuming they will miss target, as wise as that maybe.

AoD

So tokens and physical metropasses are supposed to be phased out (i.e. no more being sold) by the end of the year, but the existing stations won't get a full Presto presto setup until at least "early 2018". It sounds like one of those two dates need to be updated.

Back