News   Apr 19, 2024
 440     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 587     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 986     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Which basically means nothing. TTC isn't going to fare by distance on bus routes. It's beyond absurd, and very difficult to implement.

Nobody proposed fare-by-distance on bus routes; it's been proposed for TTC trains. Since several bus routes connect to multiple subway stations, they'd need to tap-on to the subway system during a transfer.

So as I said, while TTC hasn't said anything officially about fare-gates in a bus/subway transfer points, Metrolinx staff have considered it.

It may not be planned or likely (except Spadina extension which will definitely have barriers between bus/subway north of Steeles) but it's certainly possible in the not-so-distant future.

Last edited:
I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to transform a station like Kipling to tap-transfer instead of fare paid zone - unless you are willing to force lineups and crowded waiting areas.

Tapping 'just to get data' is where I get off the metaphorical bus with this whole project. Tap on at start, tap off at destination is all one needs to manage fare integration, even if 'on' is in Oakville and 'off' is in Vaughan. Tapping on at transfers makes sense, but tapping on to enter a station and then tapping again to board a vehicle at the station is unnecessarily complicated and just annoying.

I seem to recall places on the Paris Metro where one had to re-scan one's ticket en route to transfer between lines, but I don't know enough to know where or why.

- Paul

This is Sherbourne station's Glen Road entrance, as of last night. The collector booth is "bricked up", and the gates do not go to the ceiling. It also has the gap-filling barriers as were shown on the previous page at the St. Clair north entrance, but the question—asked a couple of pages back—is how many people will jump the gates and risk being caught on the cameras? Once TTC collectors become roaming station personnel, we shall see how that goes!

IMG_0700.jpg

Oh, and by the way…
IMG_0701.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 581
I say they should install spikes on the top of the railings...that will deter most jumpers....

On another note how sensitive are the readers? Can they detect the card if its inside a wallet?
Ive found that the Gen 1.5 readers (ones with colour screens) tend to not pick up the card unless u tap it directly on the reader itself.....

Am I just really naive for thinking that really not that many people will just jump the gates because they're shorter now?

Am I just really naive for thinking that really not that many people will just jump the gates because they're shorter now?

no not really.....I dont think people jump gates much to begin with save for the odd delinquent.... As I said earlier....the razor sharp spikes will deal with them ;)

no not really.....I dont think people jump gates much to begin with save for the odd delinquent.... As I said earlier....the razor sharp spikes will deal with them ;)
The way I see it, the people who want to evade the fares will always find a way to do so. I believe most of us are fair and willing to pay what we owe.

I say they should install spikes on the top of the railings...that will deter most jumpers....

The gates are just deterrents. They don't prevent fare evaders. They just discourage them. Proof of Payment enforcement with random checks is what will ultimately catch those who don't pay their fare. It's a small number of people in the grand scheme of things. Inevitably, they'll get caught.

Nobody proposed fare-by-distance on bus routes; it's been proposed for TTC trains. Since several bus routes connect to multiple subway stations, they'd need to tap-on to the subway system during a transfer.

What generally happens in systems with flat bus and zoned higher-order fares is that while there's no requirement to "tap off", you do have to "tap out" of the heavy rail, subways and possibly LRT systems. A subway fare includes bus use, and a bus fare includes some subway use, but when you tap out the system would calculate if it needs to charge an extra fare.

how many people will jump the gates and risk being caught on the cameras?

How many people currently walk into bus bays and risk that? You don't even need to jump those... they're wheelchair accessible!

The gates are just deterrents. They don't prevent fare evaders. They just discourage them. Proof of Payment enforcement with random checks is what will ultimately catch those who don't pay their fare. It's a small number of people in the grand scheme of things. Inevitably, they'll get caught.
True and don't forget that in future you will have to tap OUT of subways so it means gate jumping twice.

On another note how sensitive are the readers? Can they detect the card if its inside a wallet?
Ive found that the Gen 1.5 readers (ones with colour screens) tend to not pick up the card unless u tap it directly on the reader itself.....

They can, however, if you have other RFID cards, such as a credit and debit card, they may interfere. I have a typical tri-fold wallet, and keep my presto card inside the outermost fold. To tap, I just take my wallet out, use my finger to wedge open the fold out an inch and tap it.

What generally happens in systems with flat bus and zoned higher-order fares is that while there's no requirement to "tap off", you do have to "tap out" of the heavy rail, subways and possibly LRT systems. A subway fare includes bus use, and a bus fare includes some subway use, but when you tap out the system would calculate if it needs to charge an extra fare.

Going with the fare evasion/jumping the gate theme, tap-out would be an extra deterrent for those who jump gates or tail someone through. The fare-dodgers would have to worry about getting out of the system as much as getting in. Fare inspectors could also have an easier job when they pinpoint someone suddenly turning around when trying to get out of the system.

I saw exactly this in London when someone turned around at the gate to exit where they saw uniformed inspectors on the other side, just to be asked for his oyster card by a plainclothes officer waiting behind. I didn't stick around too long, but the person had a fairly obvious "Shit, I got caught..." look on his face.

I see people walk into bus bays all the time. Most of the time they are confused tourists or new to the city.. but it does happen fairly often.

Back