Toronto Leslie Barns | ?m | ?s | TTC | SAI

Surprised it doesn't happen more often. Given how much track that's been laid in Toronto in the last 10-15 years, I'm surprised we haven't heard of this happening before.

Still, I have to wonder ... you wouldn't even install a curb or sidewalk by just doing the two ends. Not sure why one would think you'd do track that way ... unless you only ever do sewers. Not sure we've had all the detail. A much simpler monument error sounds more likely ...

The TTC has been replacing existing track on top of the existing track bed over the past 10 years in continuous lengths. This is completely new from scratch section by section (working around the sewer system upgrade.

The TTC has been replacing existing track on top of the existing track bed over the past 10 years in continuous lengths. This is completely new from scratch section by section (working around the sewer system upgrade.
Most of the work I've seen has involved excavating the existing track bed completely, often down to native soil.

It's easy enough to screw up by a few centimetres doing construction layout. I am surprised it doesn't happen more often. Sometimes it's as simple as misreading an off-set on the stake. I've seen that land a sewer on the wrong angle before ... oops. Though that was a greenfield site, with more similarities to Leslie than the typical rebuild.

I guess the TTC/City of Toronto have never learned to be, the Boss,
..where is the inspection when these things are happening:confused:
Hilarious. Please explain to me how an inspector is expected to inspect thousands of points to ensure that the layout is 100% correct at every single location on every single job. At that point, the inspector might as well do all of the layout themselves, and then they wouldn't be inspecting anything else, and we would have to hire another inspector to do the inspections.

Hilarious. Please explain to me how an inspector is expected to inspect thousands of points to ensure that the layout is 100% correct at every single location on every single job. At that point, the inspector might as well do all of the layout themselves, and then they wouldn't be inspecting anything else, and we would have to hire another inspector to do the inspections.
True.

On the other hand, I was suprised at how much concrete was sticking out of the ground when I was standing at Queen/Leslie a couple of weeks ago. And looking at the photos currently Steve Munro's site ... it does look high -
img_5715w.jpg

Though hindsight is 20/20 ... and perhaps that's about when they did start noticing something seemed amiss.

Attachments

• img_5715w.jpg
    img_5715w.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 956
True.

On the other hand, I was suprised at how much concrete was sticking out of the ground when I was standing at Queen/Leslie a couple of weeks ago. And looking at the photos currently Steve Munro's site ... it does look high.
The key word here is concrete. You noticed the error after the concrete was placed. When it's too late.

It's not as easy to notice an error in formwork placement as it is to eyeball concrete after forms are stripped.

And before anyone accuses me of making excuses for the contractor. Let me be clear. I'm not. They made an error, admitted it, and I'm sure they will face the penalty for that. Should they miss any deadlines, then the TTC should hold them to account as outlined in the contract.

But beyond that, unless the contractor is undeniably incompetent, there is really nothing to see here, as this sort of thing happens on all sorts of projects. And it isn't necessarily an indictment of the competence of either the TTC or the contractor. I can't think of one project in the last few decades, whether it be municipal, provincial, federal, private business, hospital, residential developer, residential homeowner or whatever, union and non-union, that I've worked on and not seen someone make a mistake. It happens.

Sounds like another oops surveyor mess like St Clair here. What got built wrong? Was it the trunk line or the U track frame?

I have miss things doing inspection on site to the point it either pointed out to me, miss all together or I see it at some future visit.

May 24 shots before this error
17581405204_8aa3be6791_b.jpg

18016312690_5239e060cf_b.jpg

18205227181_3e3e48b2ae_b.jpg

18016320550_29c43e5509_b.jpg

Leslie Street will be closed an extra month after the contractor laid a stretch of streetcar tracks nearly nine centimetres too high, the latest problem associated with the much-delayed storage facility known as the Leslie Barns.
[...]
She said that 60 metres of rails had to be removed and the track-bed rebuilt slightly lower before they could be re-installed.
[...]
“The contractor made an error [and] the tracks were too high by about 3 1/2inches,” she said. “It is being fixed and it will cost about four to five weeks.”

Just curious, wouldn't it be easier to put down more sand/gravel and raise the level of the road, than to tear up the tracks and re-lay them? In the photos it looks as though the road hasn't been surfaced yet. If the measurements were made at the end and the track is level with the road at the ends, then raising the centre sections as needed should interface correctly with the connecting road sections.

Just curious, wouldn't it be easier to put down more sand/gravel and raise the level of the road, than to tear up the tracks and re-lay them? In the photos it looks as though the road hasn't been surfaced yet. If the measurements were made at the end and the track is level with the road at the ends, then raising the centre sections as needed should interface correctly with the connecting road sections.
That would make the road higher than the surrounding land, screwing up drainage, and also the ramp to the nearby condo.

That was essentially Option 3 listed in http://stevemunro.ca/2015/05/28/another-delay-for-leslie-street/

May 24 and more up on site now.

You can see the green roof, but hard to get a good shot of it. Haven't try the east end yet.

The last remaining section of the tracks from Leslie to the yard could be done this week. This will allow the building of the north traffic lane as well the new sidewalk. Once done, the the southbound lane and sidewalk can be finish off.

18243190861_c270dc1744_b.jpg

17621610973_bfa92c9519_b.jpg

18241957415_1546333d96_b.jpg

18238225262_2b4c8c511e_b.jpg

17621375213_56f0a36f27_b.jpg

18242010345_980ca3cd11_b.jpg

17619400144_c0dc846e53_b.jpg

17621372933_f40de8f28a_b.jpg

My neighbour is a TTC electrician who works near the Barns, and he told me the other day that this building has been sinking. Has this been noticed as a problem? Or is he just embellishing?

Could be either. All buildings settle. Many are designed to take this into account (known as superelevating a structure). Sometimes they settle too much.

Back