News   Apr 23, 2024
 371     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 606     0 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

We need to consider a wider network. Old Toronto's west end lacks a north-south mass transit line. Jane would be ideal for one. There should also be another one in Etobicoke.

Maybe they can build the northern parts of the Jane LRT, terminating in the south at Eglinton & Jane or Mt. Dennis Station. After they build the western extension of the Crosstown LRT, of course. The southern part could be "served" by SmartTrack to get to downtown, if they terminate at Mt. Dennis.

Maybe the western leg of the Relief Line should actually follow The Queensway past Roncesvalles, go up South Kingsway, and follow Jane up to Eglinton. North of Eglinton, they could do LRT.

I agree with all of you they need to do Jane in phases.
Ph # 1 ECLRT - North up Black Creek dr from Mt Dennis to a the 1st stn @ Lawrence. NWCorner then over base of the 400 & land on Jane in the center to Falstaff then Wilson all the way on top to Steeles or 407 preferred end of run.

They could do this for under a billion
If you wait for the second ph of ECLRT from Mt Dennis to the Airport, that might take a while & who knows when there gonna extend that Crosstown line west to Jane st.
We all know how you would have to climb a steep hill up to Weston then over a bridge ( rail way UP etc. ) which isn't wide enough then a narrow road way all the way up to the 401 past Church st. That would cost many millions to widen or tunnel up that route.
But hey if Metrolinx or John Tory can keep going with this ECLRT West ,
Have a connection @ Jane & Eglinton for the Jane Lrt north !
I'm all for it
Then Tunnel south to Bloor subway
Ph # 2
Then connect to the DRL ph 3
But I Think John Tory will have his Smart Track go to Mt Dennis.
Good luck with getting that route electrified & the trains won't fit in Union stn.
Many issues with this Dumb Track plan!
This will take many years and a lot of money to implement!
At least he has realized going west on Eglinton with full sized train was a pipe dream. Wonder what was in that pipe!
And You will Notice When DRL route is finalized. It will stay away from the ST plan & so be it also in the west.

I agree with all of you they need to do Jane in phases.
Ph # 1 ECLRT - North up Black Creek dr from Mt Dennis to a the 1st stn @ Lawrence. NWCorner then over base of the 400 & land on Jane in the center to Falstaff then Wilson all the way on top to Steeles or 407 preferred end of run.

They could do this for under a billion
If you wait for the second ph of ECLRT from Mt Dennis to the Airport, that might take a while & who knows when there gonna extend that Crosstown line west to Jane st.
We all know how you would have to climb a steep hill up to Weston then over a bridge ( rail way UP etc. ) which isn't wide enough then a narrow road way all the way up to the 401 past Church st. That would cost many millions to widen or tunnel up that route.
But hey if Metrolinx or John Tory can keep going with this ECLRT West ,
Have a connection @ Jane & Eglinton for the Jane Lrt north !
I'm all for it
Then Tunnel south to Bloor subway
Ph # 2
Then connect to the DRL ph 3
But I Think John Tory will have his Smart Track go to Mt Dennis.
Good luck with getting that route electrified & the trains won't fit in Union stn.
Many issues with this Dumb Track plan!
This will take many years and a lot of money to implement!
At least he has realized going west on Eglinton with full sized train was a pipe dream. Wonder what was in that pipe!
And You will Notice When DRL route is finalized. It will stay away from the ST plan & so be it also in the west.

well since it looks like DRL may be along Queen St then it will really make sense to have SmartTrack to hit union and go west to hit Bloor (Dundas west) and then Weston (Eglinton). Actually, we have the UPX already. It can become the Western route of SmartTrack so all that is needed is the eastern/north route. This way the line will serve the growing employment south of King its perfect There already is a city report on possibility of having the UPX be part of SmartTrack although of course Metrolinx has said its premature as the line was up and running in June 2015 and needs time to build the numbers. But once Crosstown hits the airport there really is no reason for the UPX not to become part of SmartTrack

well since it looks like DRL may be along Queen St then it will really make sense to have SmartTrack to hit union and go west to hit Bloor (Dundas west) and then Weston (Eglinton). Actually, we have the UPX already. It can become the Western route of SmartTrack so all that is needed is the eastern/north route. This way the line will serve the growing employment south of King its perfect There already is a city report on possibility of having the UPX be part of SmartTrack although of course Metrolinx has said its premature as the line was up and running in June 2015 and needs time to build the numbers. But once Crosstown hits the airport there really is no reason for the UPX not to become part of SmartTrack

Can you please take this to the UPX or SmartTrack thread? We do not need to open this can of worms here and muck everything up.

Is it lost on most Jane LRT backers that this would have to be built as a subway south of Wilson? I think after the TYSSE, Finch LRT and Crosstown open you'll see that the ridership of the 35/195 Jane will drop significantly, so much so as not to warrant anything beyond express bus service. LRT for Jane is overkill.

Is it lost on most Jane LRT backers that this would have to be built as a subway south of Wilson? I think after the TYSSE, Finch LRT and Crosstown open you'll see that the ridership of the 35/195 Jane will drop significantly, so much so as not to warrant anything beyond express bus service. LRT for Jane is overkill.

An underground LRT is probably an overkill.

But a surface option may be still viable. Either using Black Creek Drive south of Wilson as proposed above, or using some sort of semi-exclusive R.O.W. (cars normally not allowed in the transit lane, but can use it to bypass a stalled vehicle etc).

You have to look @ the big transit plan here , TTC & Metrolinx is finally moving ahead with getting some new modes of travel in a very congested city that uses Dated Diesel spewing Buses.
It's time we started to use cleaner,faster & spacious modes of transport.
Also as I said before, having access to the New Finch lrt & YUS will help eleviate some of the congestion @ the north end of Jane.
But they also will need to Connect FWLRT & Maintenance Yard to another line or it would stand alone.
Having a Jane LRT gives Metrolinx, TTC options & a connection of all three lines to Mt Dennis (ECLRT).
That would give them a lot of flexibility for future growth of the lines & increased density for a growing city

Jane may be ugly but it is also heavily used, so rail transit makes sense.
The unknowns (to me, anyways) are how many current riders would change their route once Crosstown and TYSSE are in place.
Clearly a lot of riders do already transfer to east-west bus routes on the major streets, particularly Lawrence, Wilson, Sheppard, Finch. The volume is heavy - but how many ride far enough down Jane to beneft from LRT? Would travel time actually be saved, or is LRT simply a matter of capacity?
LRT might actually not serve these riders well, because many board at mid-way stops..... the ones that LRT won't stop at. I can see this route ending up with more stops than purist LRT thinking would want.

- Paul

Back