News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 730     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

Any coexistence between downtown and uptown cars would have to take into account:
  1. Uptown cars are wider (2.65m vs 2.54m) so depending on context the platforms might have to be staggered
  2. Uptown cars are configured for 750V DC, downtown for 600V DC so one set of cars would have to get mods to handle the other voltage
  3. The track geometry would have to be to uptown standard since those cars don't have the turning radius of the downtown ones.
Personally, I'd like to see the Finch and Eglinton tracks connected along Jane to allow both Finch-Jane-Eglinton revenue services and inter-route car transfers such as where any issue arises with one or other MSFs. South of Eglinton... boy I dunno. You could probably do a lot of other things for the cash dropped on interoperability.

Any coexistence between downtown and uptown cars would have to take into account:
  1. Uptown cars are wider (2.65m vs 2.54m) so depending on context the platforms might have to be staggered
  2. Uptown cars are configured for 750V DC, downtown for 600V DC so one set of cars would have to get mods to handle the other voltage
  3. The track geometry would have to be to uptown standard since those cars don't have the turning radius of the downtown ones.
Personally, I'd like to see the Finch and Eglinton tracks connected along Jane to allow both Finch-Jane-Eglinton revenue services and inter-route car transfers such as where any issue arises with one or other MSFs. South of Eglinton... boy I dunno. You could probably do a lot of other things for the cash dropped on interoperability.

I think at that point it would be easier to just bore a huge tunnel that could hold both streetcar and LRT's on different levels

SingleBoreTunnel.jpg

I'm sticking with my proposal to build it north of Weston, and send it down a temporary spur to Mount Dennis. I think we need a phased approach to this.

Phase 2 can tackle both the west extension of the Crosstown and south extension of Jane LRT. That means a strategy for Jane @ Eglinton can be coordinated, I am not in favour of a diamond there.

Hi everyone , everything comes down to cost, why not take a short cut from Mt Dennison stn. & go up Black Creek dr.
Lots of rm. for n/s lrt on either side of road way have an optional stn. @ Trethway (all ready con. To keele stn. ) then Lawrence & maybe Church st.
Go into portals thru underground , next stn. Falstaff & make Wilson ave & u/g hub ( area needs it!) come out on top past Exbury on top near Oakdale golf club & continue all the way up to Pioneer Village.
Have regular Bus service from Bloor up to Wilson & releive a lot of traffic with elimination of many buses. Phase 2 can come up with better plan for south end boring all the way south not justified!
And we know Jane st is to narrow down there to be above ground.
We need to eleviate the immense pressue off northern jane st. Busses are crammed , nobody likes to take the jane bus south & we also know it's the fourth busiest in TO.
Going up A narrow Weston rd to Jane st is a great route but , then you have to build a bridge or go under ground because jane's to narrow all the way up to Black Creek dr. So why not just take the cheaper route & connect Jane st to Mt Dennison after the Crosstown has been. Phase 1 Makes a lot of sense!

I just hope somebody out there doesn't forget about Jane st. !
It will be the busiest Surface route in TO , excluding Eglinton & Finch lines.
Which will be Lrt's in 2021
Also king st. But that's a Street Car
Which therefore will be #1 top of the list but for some reason it has been forgoten or given the old cold shoulder nobody will notice don't worry about
Jane she's all grown up now & won't need any attention.
The whole point to Transit having a good plan & proceeding through with it!
So far not Bad were on the right track not Smart Track but LRT track which I personally was not sold on until a lot of research was done. And yes Subways are to expensive & not justified in most suburban applications.
Hope some body looks @ Black Creek as a viable plan to run up from Crosstown station to Jane st.
Then north on top all the way up to Pioneer Village & Steeles!
Would be easy to install , Cheap & well used!
But needs to be implemented into the Master Plan while Mt Dennison stn.
Is in the early design stages
I hope a really good planner reads this & has the foresight to impliment it!
Wow just think what a beautiful ride down along the west side of Black Creek could be.
The view would be spectacular!
Easy to install along side maybe even elevated a little bit all the way down to Mt Dennison station. Oh I must be dreaming oh well it was just a thought.
Maybe in my next life.

Which therefore will be #1 top of the list but for some reason it has been forgoten or given the old cold shoulder nobody will notice don't worry about
So far not Bad were on the right track not Smart Track but LRT track which I personally was not sold on until a lot of research was done. And yes Subways are to expensive & not justified in most suburban applications.
Hope some body looks @ Black Creek as a viable plan to run up from Crosstown station to Jane st.
Wow just think what a beautiful ride down along the west side of Black Creek could be.
Easy to install along side maybe even elevated a little bit all the way down to Mt Dennison station. Oh I must be dreaming oh well it was just a thought.
Maybe in my next life.

I never understood why the Jane LRT wasn't #1 on the Transit City list.

With Steeles West (Spadina), FW LRT, ECLRT, (and Wilson BRT) all hitting Jane, I would not be surprised if the Jane bus usage drops significantly.

Maybe in my next life.

Black Creek and Jane St do not meet do they? I have taken Black Creek from Lawrence south to Eglinton a few times. Where does it meet Jane St? It meets Tretheway (an ugly street if there ever was an ugly street). Ok, just checked google and saw it does hit Jane once Black Creek turns into the 400. But then for people who want to continue to go south on Jane to Bloor what happens there?

And I guess cars would only have 1 lane. Boy I can see the uproar or should I say hear it

Last edited:
It would be elvated & grade seperated making it a dedicated line down the west side of Black Creek with no lanes removed !
Then elevate over or under the base of 400 hwy to Jane st landing in the center in front of KFC just before Falstaff stop!

This would be phase #1
Getting down from Jane & Eglinton is going to be mostly under ground.
This would be very expensive !
Have to wait & see on that maybe in the year 2050
There going to be saturation on both lines. Lines 1 & 2 need to have alternatives in case one line is down so going to line 5 gives you some breathing rm. & don't forget the future DRL which will be announced soon by our beautiful city Planner!
Jane south would connect to this

Back