News   Mar 28, 2024
 982     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 553     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

^that is for the LRT LRVs, not the Streetcar program.
I fully realize that, but it had direct implications for the TTC fleet, in a number of ways, not the least the sound of the whip cracking. I'm astounded how BBD can cry "breach of contract if they do it" so readily when they've brought it on themselves. You can bet the TTC brass are glued to the screen for more details on this. The two orders are really one, but done as a transferred option from the TTC order.

^that is for the LRT LRVs, not the Streetcar program.

it does partially relate to their 60 car addon....if BBr continues to disappoint other vendors are ready to take their place for future orders. I wonder if theres a section in the procurement process that evaluates the potential ability of the vendor to comply with the contract....

From CBC News:

Bombardier is refusing to respond to new questions raised by TTC CEO Andy Byford about its ability to deliver streetcars to the TTC on schedule.

On Wednesday, Byford told a meeting of TTC commissioners that he has 22 of the new streetcars on the road now, and that Bombardier has promised to deliver eight more by the end of the year.

Bombardier will only deliver 16 new streetcars to TTC this year

TTC boss pushing Bombardier to boost number of streetcars delivered

TTC to sue Bombardier over delayed streetcars

However, given their track record so far, "I'm beginning to wonder if we will indeed get 30 by the end of the year," he said.

"I've had more schedules than streetcars, so I have a healthy skepticism," Byford said.

On Thursday, CBC News asked Bombardier to comment on Byford's concern that the company may not be able to deliver another eight streetcars by the end of this year, and his comment that their scheduling was "unrealistic."

"No comments"

"Thank you for your questions, but Bombardier has no comments on these statements," the company responded.

In addition to 30 cars by the end of 2016, Byford said the current schedule calls for another 40 by the end of next year, an additional 76 in 2018, and the full order — 204 new streetcars — by the end of 2019.

"They've delayed, delayed, delayed, but the end date doesn't shift," he told the commissioners Wednesday. "They're going to have to up their game."

TTC CEO Andy Byford called Bombardier's delivery schedule "unrealistic" at Wednesday's Budget Committee meeting. (CBC)

He said Bombardier has said it's setting up a second production line at its Thunder Bay plant to fill the TTC order, but that line won't be up and running until early next year.

Late last year, the TTC voted to sue Bombardier over the delays.

In the past, Bombardier has blamed the delays on faulty parts from its supplier in Mexico, labour trouble, the intricate nature of the new streetcars and staff changes.

nice so now they are resorting to the silent treatment....way to go children....

where the media is concerned yes. My guess would be that since there are possible litigations between Bombardier and the TTC they are keeping silent on it so there's isn't anything that can be used as evidence against them other than what they present to the TTC

Reactions: rbt
where the media is concerned yes. My guess would be that since there are possible litigations between Bombardier and the TTC they are keeping silent on it so there's isn't anything that can be used as evidence against them other than what they present to the TTC

you do bring a logical point there..

One of the arguments for the TTC order being late were the peculiarities of it (track gauge, very tight turning radius, pole instead of pantograph, etc). Now the Metrolinx order is showing the same lateness, we know that the TTC specifics aren't the reason. The European factories (where this design originated) are not showing the same problem.

One has to wonder why? (I can think of a few reasons, outsourcing to Mexico, unfamiliarity with the design and techniques, etc) But are they legitimate? Could it just be that what they bought when buying the European operations included production know-how that is alien to their North Am operations?

TTC 4425 is sitting at the gate of the Bombardier plant in Thunder Bay as of Saturday afternoon, October 1st, 2016. It will likely be picked up by the 2330 switch crew and be repositioned downtown to "E" yard where it will be sent to Toronto on CP Train 420. Thanks to my Thunder Bay CRO contact for the information.
cr TTC4425-1.jpg
cr TTC4425-2.jpg

Attachments

• cr TTC4425-1.jpg
    cr TTC4425-1.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 1,631
  • cr TTC4425-2.jpg
    cr TTC4425-2.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 669

Back