News   Apr 16, 2024
 308     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 374     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 731     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

^From the Leslie Barns thread (yesterday)
25007498525_1a2aab3e7c_b.jpg

What all needs to be changed? Wouldn't it be easier in theory to just send in a few parts (replace the missing piece of the bumper, paint a white "4401" on the front and remove some internal coverings), rather than send it ALL the way back to Thunder Bay?

What all needs to be changed? Wouldn't it be easier in theory to just send in a few parts (replace the missing piece of the bumper, paint a white "4401" on the front and remove some internal coverings), rather than send it ALL the way back to Thunder Bay?

I think it's something to do with the ramp plus there are probably other things that are eiser that it goe back to Bombarder to have done to it

There more than the ramp section that has to be replace that requires 4401 to go back to TB like 4400 & 4402. Taking a long time to rebuilt 4402 and long over due for return.

This fleet maybe the last fleet that needs an overhead system base on the current movement to use battery power. Given where things are today and not needing a new fleet until 2040-45-50, how to power cars along the route will have advance to the point overhead is no longer needed.

The overhead will start to disappear line by line until the last current car is retire. Having no overhead as well centre poles will make Emergency folks happy as they will not have to deal with the overhead at fire sites and able to use ROW. It will save TTC money since they don't have to replace the overhead if it has to be cut & replace due to a fire. Then there the standard maintenance that needs to happen overtime as well not needing personal to do the work along with equipment..

We are seeing systems world wide ordering duel power with longer distance being used by battery. Batteries still have their downside today, but will improve over time, long before TTC needs a new fleet.

^ and also the power lost over resistance in the delivery of electricity. They could move towards battery powered subway cars too. No more track fire or danger of people stepping on the third rail.

^ and also the power lost over resistance in the delivery of electricity. They could move towards battery powered subway cars too. No more track fire or danger of people stepping on the third rail.
If TTC put batteries in streetcars they would probably buy from the same guys that made the Dreamliner batteries...

On a serious note, there are a couple of systems that use batteries in a "top up" mode for moving between stations with no catenary. Bombardier even offers such a system for buses.

If you are going to go that far, you may as well go for full PRIMOVE integration, which uses contactless inductive power transfer to supply electricity to the trains in certain sections, which top up the onboard batteries.

Oops, I must have it confused with another, pre-production car that has already been shipped back? Or I just so wanted it to be a new sighting that I imagined it all, maybe. :)
4402 was shipped back, but there's no indication it's come back yet. 4417 did arrive the other day. And 4401 does leave Leslie Barns occasionally - your certainly might have seen it running to Hillcrest for some reason.

I wonder if shes made a trip down Cherry street yet or maybe that will be the last thing she does before heading back to Thunder Bay
Given the parked cars and barricades on the Cherry tracks, I don't think anything has run down there yet.

4402 was shipped back, but there's no indication it's come back yet. 4417 did arrive the other day. And 4401 does leave Leslie Barns occasionally - your certainly might have seen it running to Hillcrest for some reason.

Given the parked cars and barricades on the Cherry tracks, I don't think anything has run down there yet.
Unless its a battery power car, no overhead to power it yet.

If you are going to go that far, you may as well go for full PRIMOVE integration, which uses contactless inductive power transfer to supply electricity to the trains in certain sections, which top up the onboard batteries.
That means vendor lock-in though, and given relations with Bombardier I doubt there is much appetite to tie up with them even more closely.

Unless its a battery power car, no overhead to power it yet.
Overhead all looks complete at the top end, and all the way down to Eastern at least. I haven't walked around the south end for a while, but it was well underway, even at the loop, back in November.

Back