News   Apr 19, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

They have failed to ramp up, but I think it's a stretch to conclude that they can't. They've been churning out over 6 subway cars a month for years. They should be able to ramp up the streetcar production to higher than 1 - especially after the subway car production ends next year.

I wouldn't count on that. But I wish them the best of luck. I want our damn streetcars.

The guys from the subway car line hopefully won't forget how to do it years from now when they are building the BD replacement cars :)

In other news, Bombardier were in the winning consortium for the Edmonton light rail project (low floor line)

Just thought I would play with Python on lunch to visualize the streetcar delivery timeline. Here's a plot:
k4FkMIQ.jpg

The delivery occur on average every 42 ± 18 days. I didn't bother trying to fit a trend line as the data is so non-monotonic. Just using the mean, we would expect the next car to arrive January 5. By the way, sorry for the huge plot size...not sure how to change that.

One does wonder what the closed-door conversations have been at Edmonton City Hall about Toronto's plight.
it leads me to wonder if the comments that BBD are making that TTC is (at least partially) responsible for the delays and these other cities that keep ordering LRT vehicles from BBD are being given this kind of assurance "as long as you don't act like the TTC, we will make your schedule".....now what it is the TTC could be doing to cause/contribute to the delays I do not know....but BBD seem pretty confident in their statements and munis keep ordering from them.

now what it is the TTC could be doing to cause/contribute to the delays I do not know....but BBD seem pretty confident in their statements and munis keep ordering from them.
Keep? This is only the 2nd order in North America isn't it of the 100% low-floor Flexity? Even the Metrolinx order is an option on the TTC order .. and the Waterloo order is on option on Metrolinx option.

How many cars for Edmonton? Presumably smaller than the 400-car TTC/Metrolinx order.

Also, this is part of a bidder big to build the line. The actual vehicle was probably a minor part of the final decision making. If it met specs, I doubt they even started to worry about the delivery details. Bombardier has given every indication that they'll get the TTC order back on track during 2016. If they do so, this would fit in nicely with the delivery of the Waterloo vehicles and the Eglinton/Finch West ones.

Last edited:
Keep? This is only the 2nd order in North America isn't it of the Flexity Outlook? Even the Metrolinx order is an option on the TTC order .. and the Waterloo order is on option on Metrolinx option.

How many cars for Edmonton? Presumably smaller than the 400-car TTC/Metrolinx order.

Also, this is part of a bidder big to build the line. The actual vehicle was probably a minor part of the final decision making. If it met specs, I doubt they even started to worry about the delivery details. Bombardier has given every indication that they'll get the TTC order back on track during 2016. If they do so, this would fit in nicely with the delivery of the Waterloo vehicles and the Eglinton/Finch West ones.
wasn't limiting it to north america....they have had several orders for vehicles while this whole TTC thing has been going on.

wasn't limiting it to north america....they have had several orders for vehicles while this whole TTC thing has been going on.
I doubt anyone in Europe cares two hoots about Bombardier's supply/quality issues in Mexico.

There'd probably be more interested that TTC's comments are always gushing with how high quality the delivered vehicles are.

Bombardier's vehicles were offered as part of a consortium. One of the other consortiums involved SNC Lavalin who are having fun in Vancouver right now it seems.

I have some magic beans I would like to sell you.
I'm not convinced they'll hit their target of about 60 cars in 2016 ... but at the same time, I expect that they will ultimately ramp up. I doubt they'll be 5 years late in delivering the Edmonton cars.

Keep? This is only the 2nd order in North America isn't it of the Flexity Outlook?one

No, Toronto would still be the first and only. Waterloo, Crosstown, and now Edmonton would all be FLEXITY Freedom. Although I've never seen details on the Edmonton order - they have longer vehicles with swivelling bogies under the car halves, so moving to FLEXITY would be a significant change for them. Not saying it won't run on the track, but just that mechanically it's a totally different vehicle from what they have.

Back