News   Apr 25, 2024
 253     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 582     0 

TTC: Customer Service

I just hate when adults push to get on the shuttle buses. Is there a way for TTC workers or even the Toronto Police to be present and have people form lines or establish some order?

Were any UTers in the midst of the subway delays this morning?

I normally change at St George to head downtown. I should have known it would be a mess, and it was - I couldn't get up the stairs from the E-W platform, so I got back on heading east to try my luck with the Bay bus.

The line for the #6 Bay bus went right round the corner onto Cumberland, so I decided to walk. When I got to Charles, the bus came along but didn't stop. I kept going as far as Dundas (entering the Eaton Centre through CT), at which point I discovered that service had resumed.

Wow what a bitch, however I think the passenger could have handled it better. Instead of trying to take a picture of the driver, why not simply get the 4 digit bus number which is nicely posted at the front of the bus? Instead of calling the police, why not complain to TTC customer service and have them identify the driver using the bus number and time of day? Much ado for nothing if you ask me.

Because the entire TTC complaint process is set up to facilitate TTC foot-dragging and recalcitrance. Aside from the footage being gone after a certain time (which reduces the evidence to 'he said, she said'), the TTC has a vested interest in having the process end with 'we will not be investigating this further' or 'we will be talking to the employee about this (and not telling you anything further).

There are some odd types working as TTC operators - people who, even though some passengers are jerks, have no concept of customer service. I especially remember one white-glove-wearing streetcar driver who was inordinately quick to accuse riders of trying to steal transfers.

Their complaints process is completely opaque. They won't tell you what the result is, or even if they are going to do anything at all, even if you report dangerous driving by one of their employees with vehicle number, time and location.

I've made a complaint here and there, and I don't get that impression at all.

The last complaint I bothered to submit was, I admit, well before the Byford era, so it may be different now.

It was about a collector (inadvertently) short-changing me because he was occupied by his game of Sudoku, I had to submit a complaint by fax (!) and there was no real response other than a vague 'We're dealing with it'.

Their complaints process is completely opaque. They won't tell you what the result is, or even if they are going to do anything at all, even if you report dangerous driving by one of their employees with vehicle number, time and location.
I've heard the result of almost every complaint I've submitted.

I don't tend to complain about individual employees though ... obviously they aren't going to tell you how they spanked someone, unless you handed over a video or something of someone blowing through a red light. On the rare occasion I do complain about an individual employee, I don't ask for follow-up ... what's the point? More often or not, it's a systemic employee issue, so no point even identifying the individual.

I've submitted a couple of reports of dangerous driving and I absolutely agree with this.

That they looked into it, that something is being done about it, that they are sorry that I was almost run over by one of their buses as it ran a red light and I was crossing on a walk signal.

Or that they looked into it, that something is being done about it, that they are sorry that a crowded bus had people being jerked this and way thanks to a terrible driver who constantly slammed on the brakes and took corners like an Indy driver.

That they looked into it, that something is being done about it, that they are sorry that I was almost run over by one of their buses as it ran a red light and I was crossing on a walk signal.

Or that they looked into it, that something is being done about it, that they are sorry that a crowded bus had people being jerked this and way thanks to a terrible driver who constantly slammed on the brakes and took corners like an Indy driver.
I've had a response like the former - when I was almost run over by a streetcar when I was on a green crossing signal.

Were any UTers in the midst of the subway delays this morning?
I caught the tail end of the delay. I usually get on the 8:30 train northbound at Bloor-Yonge and couldn't even get onto the northbound platform when I got there today. I waited around for 10 minutes for the platform to clear because I wanted a seat and by 8:40 I was on a pretty empty train.

It's odd that people do not listen to the repeating announcements. Both on the trains and in the stations. It also was on the news in the morning. Don't people know alternate routes to get to a downtown destination? Sure the Yonge leg (between Union and Bloor) was down. But, I would head on over to the University leg. Or take the streetcar from the east or west, or the 6 Bay bus as a last resort. I would never take any shuttle.

It's odd that people do not listen to the repeating announcements. Both on the trains and in the stations. It also was on the news in the morning. Don't people know alternate routes to get to a downtown destination? Sure the Yonge leg (between Union and Bloor) was down. But, I would head on over to the University leg. Or take the streetcar from the east or west, or the 6 Bay bus as a last resort. I would never take any shuttle.
Before the Bay bus, I'd simply walk. It's only about 20 minutes or so to Queen from Bloor .. and downhill too. Perhaps faster with today's cold!

Surely faster than shuttle buses ... which can then be left for those who can't walk.

Back