News   Apr 23, 2024
 4     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

I remember in the 1960's and 1970's, the curves on Line 1 (Yonge-University Subway at the time) between King and St. Andrew Stations, as well as between Museum and St. George Stations, was much, much, much, much worse of a squeal. Passengers had to plug their ears.

Today they are very tolerable, though on occasion, a small squeal may happen. Originally, they used water, which didn't help much in winter. They now use most of the solutions mentioned above, or a combination.

Eventually, they'll find out the best solution for Cherry Street. Hopefully, the sooner than later.

Why not just install water sprayers like they have at the Neville Park loop?
because a lot of them have problems when the concrete around the rails breaks down plus it can get into the cracks in the concrete and fezze it and cause the concrete to break apart much sooner then it should. They have a system in place at Main street station loop but it right now just has water mostly on the ground around that section of tracks and the concret is in bad condition.

When I was a kid, I lived under the east-west glide path of what was then Toronto International Airport. There was an older couple next door who used to complain about the noise every day. My Dad used to tell them - the airport was there before you were.

I biked over on Saturday and took a listen. The noise is not anything that anyone else living on a streetcar line has not heard. Ask anyone who lives at Queen/Shaw or Queen/Spadina how six months of permanent diversions sound.

Two - new for me where I live now is the GO train. After a while, it becomes like the cuckoo clock. You hear it, but you don't. Not everyone is wired to ignore ambient noise like this. I am. If not, time to move on. In my last home, I lived near a park. A lovely (young and resilient looking) couple moved in next door. Winter came and they figured out that teenagers fired pucks at the boards at the rink in the park. They complained all winter. Then they sold their home. The hockey was going to continue regardless of how many cops or councilors got called.

I feel the same about this. It's 2016. This article was published in 2012. The line was approved before that.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...eing-laid-along-cherry-street/article4204584/

Things change. And sometimes we don't or can't adapt. That is life. I wish everyone living in the Cherry neighbourhood well. But progress in the city can not stop because of squeaky wheels. If it does, then there will be not one new bus route, or streetcar line or subway.

Last edited:
So I guess they aren't running the 514 along the King-Sumach curve at all after 11:30pm because of the squeal?

514 Cherry - Streetcar restriction
Route diverting between Parliament Street and Cherry Street

Update to December 22, 2016
After 11:30 p.m. streetcars will be restricted from operating on Sumach Street and Cherry Street, between King Street East and the Distillery Loop.
  • 514 Cherry eastbound streetcars will divert east on King Street, east on Queen Street, north on Broadview Avenue west on Dundas Street, south on Parliament Street and west on King Street.
  • 514 Shuttle bus (Wheel-Trans) will provide service on King Street East and Cherry Street, between Parliament Street and Distillery Loop.
    Monday to Friday: from 11:30 p.m. to end of service and from the beginning of service to 7 a.m.
    Saturday to Sunday: 11:30 p.m. to end of service and from the start of service until 10 a.m.
After December 22 the Wheel-Trans shuttle bus will resume service after 10 p.m.

514_Cherry_update_16.gif

Looks like I am going to be a few short as to when 514 gets extended to the south.

Starting this summer, work will get underway for infilling part of Keating Channel and the harbour for the new Polson North Park that will allow the new Cherry St to connect to it. Its supposed to be done in 2019.

The building of the new Cherry St & bridge will take place next once money in place and a fix start date. The rebuilding of the mouth of the Don is to be completed by 2025 with a new Commissioner Bridge.

Once this road is ready for use, buses will be use until there is enough development to look at putting the LRT in.

Developers are currently looking at about 1.5 meter of earth being place on the existing lands before development can take place. The final recommendation will be known at a June Public meeting for the area.

Then there is the issue as what will happen to the existing underpass. Do we leave it as is and run transit in mix traffic as well cycles for option 1? Do the same thing for option 2, but punch holes on either for cycles and Pedestrians? Option 3 would see a new wide underpass built to allow transit to remain on the east side to match the existing and new expansion as well cycling. This will cost about $50m and will disrupt GO service for at least 2-3 years and who is going to pay this bill??

Another option would be like 2, but transit using the current northbound lanes and duel direction in the southbound.

I remember in the 1960's and 1970's, the curves on Line 1 (Yonge-University Subway at the time) between King and St. Andrew Stations, as well as between Museum and St. George Stations, was much, much, much, much worse of a squeal. Passengers had to plug their ears.

Today they are very tolerable, though on occasion, a small squeal may happen. Originally, they used water, which didn't help much in winter. They now use most of the solutions mentioned above, or a combination.

Eventually, they'll find out the best solution for Cherry Street. Hopefully, the sooner than later.

Hopefully this gets past the prototype stage...

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...d-isolation-device-that-sticks-on-your-window

This is such nonsense. At that rate, by the time Cherry line gets a go ahead to be extended RER will be in full swing and punching through the embankment is gonna be more drama. Then the budget hawks will say "hey guys you know those buses aren't so bad".

Option 3 would see a new wide underpass built to allow transit to remain on the east side to match the existing and new expansion as well cycling. This will cost about $50m and will disrupt GO service for at least 2-3 years and who is going to pay this bill?

They also need to disrupt GO service for a few years to extend Church St south at some point as part of the Lower Yonge Precinct plan.

oTQolCw.png

The Church Street extension (while potentially a solution to the "Union Loop problem") doesn't seem to have a lot of momentum behind it (and presumably TPA won't like their garage being punched through!)

The Church Street extension (while potentially a solution to the "Union Loop problem") doesn't seem to have a lot of momentum behind it (and presumably TPA won't like their garage being punched through!)
The City is continuing to protect the Church Street extension (and link to Cooper Street) and the current plans for 75 The Esplanade already allow for it. The TPA garage is (one day) up for redevelopment.

What does this mean? Take tracks out of service as you build, or something like cancel LSE, Stouffville, and Richmond Hill for 36 months straight?

They didn't need to when building the new underpass at Simcoe 10 years ago, so I'm not sure why someone would think that it would need to be done that way today.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back