News   Apr 15, 2024
 900     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 644     0 

TTC: Bloor Danforth Line 2 West Extension(s)

^ I think the 21,000 "passengers" includes both directions. Usually with ridership numbers they count every ride, not the person. But I could be wrong. I don't think this Kipling station should proceed. They should really push to get East Mall made into a subway station. I feel that a terminal further west at East Mall (lol that sounds funny) would be ideal. And definitely with a street-level presence on Dundas (not that there's much there lol).

It might be too ambitious, but at least they're talking about it, because it kinda changes the whole ball game. We could keep Kipling as is, and just extend the subway to East Mall and build a whole new regional terminal there. Islington would still have to be downsized, but parking could be gained at East Mall to replace the parking lost at Islington (and not have to put a commuter lot at Westwood, which I think is too far away).

I just checked Islington station's ridership figures - 47,274 per day - which confirms that I'm wrong and the 21,000 MT riders figure is already 'doubled' so the 'less than 2%' figure is right. In that case, all this fuss over relocated bus terminals and subways to Mississauga, etc., are over 10,000 souls that can't afford to drive or consciously choose not to.

Mississauga is still considering using the gas tax money to fund the Kipling terminal but there are other priorities first.

Altogether, the city will have spent over $130 million in the years 2005-2009 on new buses and to expand the main transit facility, and the gas tax money is not enough to fund even this. But after all this is taken care of, I think the city will fund the new terminal.

Mississaugans don't just use Islington though, they use Kipling as well. When I take the 26, I get off at Kipling instead of taking it all the way to Islington, so I can go and sit on a waiting train until it leaves. Much less hassle that way. I know others do the same. Plus there's all the commuters who use the parking lot at Kipling. So there's the riders from both Kipling and Islington to consider.

I wonder how much an extension to East Mall would cost? It's only one station for frak's sake!

If there's 21,000 people taking MT to get to the TTC, isn't there also 21,000 people taking the TTC to get to MT (on their way back)?

In that case, all this fuss over relocated bus terminals and subways to Mississauga, etc., are over 10,000 souls that can't afford to drive or consciously choose not to.

There's still a strong need for a rapid transit link, though I think relocating the bus terminals is more about getting MT out of Etobicoke.

ahrvojic:

There's still a strong need for a rapid transit link, though I think relocating the bus terminals is more about getting MT out of Etobicoke.

If that was the case, they wouldn't be bothering to make provision for MT at the Kipling terminal.

Let's face it, the City of Toronto has identified Islington and Kipling to be development nodes in the so called "Centres", and as these transit accessible points are prime candidates for intensification. The fact that SNC-Lavalin expressed an interest in the site is one reason the bus terminals, already located in an area of changing land uses, should go.

AoD

Fine...12,847 souls.
There's also a large number of Mississauga riders along Lakeshore that connect through Long Branch and take either the 123/110 to Kipling/Islington as they don't stop as often compared to the MT routes to Islington. They typically are the same length in travel time compared to the MT routes (sometimes shorter depending) but the 110/123 generally don't see the same over-crowding that MT routes to Islington do so it makes the ride more comfortable (except when your in one w/o A/C in the summer).

Okay. First things first. This discussion gives us the rare and exciting opportunity to use the word "node" without sounding completely ridiculous, like we are narrating an episode of NOVA or something.

Because of this, I encourage everyone from here on in to use the word "node" as much as possible to take advantage of these rare circumstances.

As for the subway, it is needed in this area and will be needed even moreso as density continues to increase. The problem with our must-have-a-full-consensus approach to building public transit is that it lacks vision for the future. This general area of Etobicoke is growing and transforming quickly into a much more urban area (as opposed to suburban) and will soon become a major population node (yes!!!) that will spark even more development in surrounding areas. This is what the city and the province want, but it needs a subway.

I think there's a lot of sense behind this proposal, but I tend to suspect that a subway station at the East Mall would be named "Etobicoke Centre" instead.

No, there's a Secondary Plan which defines the Etobicoke City Centre as roughly along Dundas and Bloor between Islington and Kipling.

Downsview station isn't in the historical centre of Downsview either though.

True, but there isn't any station that is located in the centre of Downsview. It would be strange to name a station Etobicoke Centre when it isn't while there are two other stations which are actually located in Etobicoke Centre.

I think Honeydale, Cloverdale, or Shorncliffe could work just fine.

Hmm... or Clover Honey Dale? Conjuring images of buzzing bees pollinating rolling fields of cover, only to be replaced with the reality of the fields of concrete and ashphalt that is south Etobicoke.

Or we can take a page from Mike's book and name it "Western Suburbs Transit Gateway" station.

Back