News   Apr 24, 2024
 95     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 264     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 587     0 

TTC: Bloor Danforth Line 2 West Extension(s)

Finch station is next to a hydro corridor but it's used over 90,000 times a day.

Most people are taking the bus to that station, not walking. You probably knew this already, so I am not sure why you even bothered.

Most people will be taking the bus to any station west of Kipling (edit - or along Eglinton)...what's the difference?

My opinion (costly):

Carcruden, I tend to agree with you.

Doady. Hydro corridor vs Dundas's strip malls. You really think that having subway stops along dundas (ignoring hwy 10/dundas, assuming the hwy 10 LRT gets built) covers the marginal cost of (1) building the stations, and (2), submerging the line underground? What do you think the incremental ridership will amount to? Sq1, fine, people can either drive and park there, + its a hub for MT, plus Greyhound, and when the LRT gets built, will provide seamless rapid transit connecting GO stations. Extending the Bloor line that way anyways will make the line more commutter anways. I predict the extension will have a similar effect to that of the last spadina line extension to downsview. Sq1 will have a decent amount of boardings, but the stations inbetween will be very light.

Unless all those stops along Dundas have good bus connections, their ridership figures will be so low Doady will want to close them, anyway.

If I were mississauga, I would not pay a dime towards extending the subway into mississauga. I would instead, use that money to build the LRT network within Missy, connecting sq1 to the GO stations. You can then divert the buses that have been replaced to increasing feeder bus services. How much utility would a subway extension be for Mississauga? There would be a greater benefit with a backbone LRT network that could focus on local inner Missy transport, vs. providing better connectivity to etobicoke (and competing with GO).

toh2006_047.jpg

toh2006_044.jpg

This is why I'd prefer regional rail into Vaughan than the Sorbara subway serving nowhere north of York U. Regional rail can be upgraded relatively easily to meet demand or planning objectives. With a subway, it's all or nothing. I'd much rather see GO Transit get the money, with enough strings attached to forced the cabbageheads to build a real, affordable regional transit system, and not blow the money on a BRT following the 407 and more mega parking lots and engineering overbuilds

Ding! Ding! Ding!

On top of that, the CP rail line that could be used threads its way through "downtown" Woodbridge and Bolton, which are effectively built for higher-order transit. The Sorbara line ends at a collection of big box malls.

The CP line doesn't go near downtown Bolton.

...but that's just a former Caledon resident nitpicking.

Officedweller: those are quite up-to-date photos, taken within the past 2 - 3 weeks, judging by the state of construction of the third Essex tower, visible in the top photo.

Even from the air, Honeydale Mall certainly looks pretty forlorn. Why not tear it down, extend the Bloor line less than 1 km. from Kipling to this property, and build a real terminal station, as opposed to blowing how many dollars on the massive rebuild of Kipling which we keep hearing about? There must be a straightforward way to build this, along with the proposed apartment towers, creating a real mixed-use, high-density node at the transit station. (Maybe not with much parking, but that could still remain available at Kipling and Islington.)

Hydro corridor vs Dundas's strip malls.

Strip malls can be redeveloped with higher population densities resulting. Hydro corridors won't see that happen. Build the subway - or any transit line for that matter - where it will serve people. Then it will be used. There is no point in putting transit lines where it is cheap for the sake of being cheap.

Dundas could definitely be redeveloped. The falling apart 70s era strip malls could definitely be razed and replaced with new mixed use higher density developments.

In regards to ONLY square one being busy on a Bloor extension along Dundas, I think the stations would see better use than some of the Spadina line, like Glencairn

Yes, they strip malls could be redeveloped. Anything could happen. But, its not likely going to happen, (if its going to happen), in a reasonable time line. Plus, if all that you needed was density to justify a subway line, you could definately build the DRL line right away.

The longterm plan for a major road in mississauga like Dundas is LRT. So, if you build the subway line to hwy10/dundas, and then turn right ('L') up to square 1, what are you going to do with dundas west? Unles you build for the far future, and build an expensive little transport hub in the strip mall at that intersection, to allow for future connections to the hwy 10 LRT and a future dundas west rapid transit line, it doesnt make any sense either way.

The higher the density that the strip mall is zoned for (along the subway line), the more likely it will be redeveloped.

Back