News   Apr 18, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

TSO cancels performance of Valentina Lisitsa

All I see is a Ukrainian complaining about politics and people back in her home country of Ukraine. As long as she hasn't been charged by TPS/OPP for hate speed I don't care. She's being paid to perform for us, as long as she does her job and gives the people in the seats what they want her views on any topic are not important, with the exception above. Her political views are as relevant to her role as her views on physics.... as in not at all.

All I see is a Ukrainian complaining about politics and people back in her home country of Ukraine. As long as she hasn't been charged by TPS/OPP for hate speed I don't care. She's being paid to perform for us, as long as she does her job and gives the people in the seats what they want her views on any topic are not important, with the exception above. Her political views are as relevant to her role as her views on physics.... as in not at all.

It's an as complicated as hell issue but what if whatever someone said was said outside the jurisdiction of the OPP/TPS or was just at a level of hate/provocation that didn't quite make a charge likely to "stick"?

It's an as complicated as hell issue but what if whatever someone said was said outside the jurisdiction of the OPP/TPS or was just at a level of hate/provocation that didn't quite make a charge likely to "stick"?

If she hasn't broken the law, then whatever she says about her home country is not my business. She's a paid for performer, as long as she produces what we pay for, who cares what she says?

If she hasn't broken the law, then whatever she says about her home country is not my business. She's a paid for performer, as long as she produces what we pay for, who cares what she says?

I don't think this is what you are saying but it is not far from that to "commit hate speech anywhere in the world...but if you can play piano well we will pay to see you".

So OJ Simpson could still have a thriving acting career here, in good ol' Toronto?
OJ was convicted of armed robbery. He was acquitted of murder. He'd still have trouble crossing into Canada and obtaining a temporary work visa due to his record. However Americans with worse convictions have been permitted entry to temporarily work or perform in Canada, including Mike Tyson.

To answer your question; I don't know if he'd have a thriving acting career. Did he have one before? The market would decide if he was worth seeing.

I think you're missing my point of living in a wider world, you know, like globally. But maybe the market can buy you some tickets to see it.
You haven't made a point. Until we can read minds, the reader not the author gets to determine the point of what's written. Do not dispair though, as I did enjoy the valley girl "like" tossed in there.

That's realpolitik, buddy. TSO, at the end of the day, has to look at their bottom line just as much as anyone else.

AoD

And that's the crux of it. I wish the TSO would simply say they've had complaints from big donors and they need the money, so they've accepted their demands to bar this pianist. That's the honest approach.

Back