366     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 512     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

N

nstuch

i'm sitting here looking out my window at a big crane currently being erected at the AGO site, looks to be about 150-200 feet tall. what is the height expected to be of the tower portion of the AGO addition? i wasn't expecting them to need such a massive crane but i guess it is a big site

If memory serves the tower is 10 stories--and big stories, with high ceiling for the gallery areas.

Actually, they are only adding three more storeys above the two, but they are tall ones. 8 or 9 metres each?

Essentially it will be the same height as the OCAD tabletop.

AGO to close for 8 months

From the Globe:

Revamp could close AGO for 8 months

VAL ROSS

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

The Art Gallery of Ontario will shut its doors for six to eight months during the final stage of its reconstruction, the AGO said yesterday. This is far longer than the three months originally anticipated, but the Toronto gallery says it is necessary to accommodate the reinstallation of 7,000 art works in 110 galleries. Although no firm dates are set, staff expect that the gallery will close in the late autumn of 2007 and open in mid-2008.

"For members not to cross our doors for eight months seems like a long time," says Kelly McKinley, AGO director of education, "but from our perspective, it's the bare-bones minimum. When we tell our colleagues at the Detroit Institute of Art [also undergoing a massive reinstallation project], they laugh."

The gallery's ambitious, Frank Gehry-designed transformation and expansion, expected to cost $254-million, has already cost it almost a 30-per-cent decline in visitors. About 665,425 people strolled among the paintings and sculptures in 2004-05, but last year only 475,000 visitors found their way past the hoardings to the temporary side entrance to view art amid the occasional rattle of jackhammers.

Still, the public is so far demonstrating its excitement about the project with 2,000 new memberships. "We've built our membership during the construction period," says Linda Milrod, Transformation AGO's senior project manager. Now, she says, the AGO must use the closing period to build excitement.

When the Royal Ontario Museum closed down for 20 months in 1979, it took years to rebuild its visitor levels. For the AGO to build excitement, and more importantly, to retain basic visitor loyalty during its forthcoming period of closing, it is counting on a combination of strategies. It will keep members in touch with the progress of Transformation AGO through the web and is creating a virtual museum. It's involved in co-operative projects with the Thunder Bay Art Gallery, the Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery and the Woodland Cultural Centre on the Six Nations reserve in Brantford, Ont.

"And we're exploring the use of lectures and public discussions," says Susan Bloch-Nevitte, the AGO's director of public affairs. "If we can't bring people to the building we'll bring the AGO to them." Another project, titled "AGO is a Go" is sending 45 volunteers out to events ranging from Pride Day to Chinese festivals to the Molson Indy "to tell the AGO story -- what we're doing, what we'll look like," Bloch-Nevitte says.

But the stakes are high, not least because the closing announcement ratchets up the tensions in the gallery's current labour dispute, where 260 full- and part-time staff represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union are in a strike position should mediation break down after midnight tonight.

Should picket lines go up around the AGO tomorrow morning, it could dissuade some visitors, would almost certainly slow down progress on the building (many of the construction workers are unionized) and would probably result in the cancellation of the AGO's annual Art in the Park July 1 celebration, which attracts about 10,000 Torontonians each year.

"This announcement certainly puts a premium on issues surrounding job security and layoffs," says Myles Magner, OPSEU campaigns officer. During a lengthy AGO closing in 1992, 244 employees were laid off. Currently, OPSEU is trying to wrest guarantees from the AGO that in the event of inevitable layoffs during the forthcoming dark period, there will be guarantees of recall rights for those full- and part-time staff who wish to return (currently those rights are not available to the part-time staff who make up about half of the OPSEU unit). "And we want fair severance options for folks who decide not to return," Magner says.

However, the AGO has never experienced a strike; hardball down to the wire is the more common pattern, and AGO management remains optimistic that a deal is in sight.

Management is also optimistic about its capacity to create a new AGO amid rubble and racket, even if the public will be protected from those stresses. "We'll be here for our members, even if I have to wear a hard hat," Bloch-Nevitte says.

AoD

When AGO Lady phoned last week, I told her I'd renew my membership once the new building opens. She went away quietly, without the usual snappy rejoinder. I got the impression she's used to brush-offs now.

Still, plenty to see ... the Warhol show opens next week.

And they've got the most macabre promotion for it, ever:

Spot the pink hearse and win!

I'm thinking of going mostly to do a "during and after" perspective. I would have gone earlier, but when they closed the Canadian Collection, I lost interest.

As a grand finale kind of show, Warhol's strangely appropriate in the same way Mau's "Massive Change" was...

I don't understand why they are doing another Warhol show so soon after the Whitney's Warhol show toured here. I suppose its acessable and it will make them a lot of cash.

No strike at AGO, reported by CBC News Toronto:

Strike at Art Gallery of Ontario averted
Last Updated: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 | 11:39 PM ET
CBC Arts
The Art Gallery of Ontario will close for six to eight months, probably in winter 2007, but the threat of a strike by gallery staff has been averted.

The plan is to reopen the building, newly renovated with a design by Frank Gehry, in the spring of 2008, said Susan Bloch-Nevitte, spokeswoman for the Toronto gallery.

"Our intention is to open with a bang," she said.

The focus of the reopening will be the new building, with its 110 new gallery spaces, but also the AGO's permanent collection, she said.

The AGO holds 5,000 works of art and has 2,000 in the collection bequeathed by the late Ken Thomson. It is making other acquisitions that have yet to be displayed.

During the time the gallery is closed, staff will be redesigning the new exhibit spaces and deciding which "superb new works of art" to display, Bloch-Nevitte said.

She said the gallery is unable to set a specific date for its closing, but the tentative date is November or December 2007. At that point, the outside of the new $245-million building should be substantially finished.

But the worrying issue of job security, which threatened to close the gallery immediately, has been resolved. Late Wednesday night the AGO and the Ontario Public Service Employees Union, representing 260 of its employees, reached a tentative new deal.

The agreement means a strike at the gallery has been averted.

OPSEU spokesman Myles Magner told CBC News Online the details of the new contract will not be released until after employees have voted on it, but the union executive would be unanimously recommending it be accepted.

AoD

No strike = good news. I'm also glad that they will be finding ways to take the gallery to the people if the people can't come to the gallery. I realize it's not easy to move great art works around, but they do need to do some more outreach. Not everyone in Ontario can visit the AGO easily even a few times, never mind on a regular basis.

I think we need franchises of the AGO, the ROM, the Science Centre etc. scattered all over the province like Pizza Pizza or MacDonalds outlets in small cities and large towns.

AGO (UT)

AGO

AGORender(1).jpg

AGORender(2).jpg

AGORender(3).jpg

AGORender(4).jpg

AGOelevation-south.gif

AGOelevation-west.gif

AGOelevation-north.gif

AGOelevation-east.gif

Developer: AGO
Architect: Frank Gehry
Planning Docs: Final Report, Toronto East York Community Council
Designation: Museum
Expected Occupancy: 2008
Height:
Floors:
Size:
Value:
Webcam: South Camera; North Camera

I don't think there's an official thread yet, so I figured I'd put them in here for now.

Here's a few recent AGO construction pics. They are about two weeks old...

DSCN0960.jpg

DSCN0961.jpg

DSCN0962.jpg

Back