News   Apr 18, 2024
 587     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 380     0 

Tory Plan to Boost Alberta, BC in Parliament, Reduce Ontario

our tradition is to keep communities intact. If we didn't, then why have local representation at all? We could just vote for a party and have lists to fill the house.
My federal riding used to cross North York into Thornhill back in the 70's, yet today, when the Steeles border means less that it used to, it is strictly within Toronto.

What's the harm if a riding boundary crosses a city border and represents parts of two cities? If it means balancing out the populations of two or more ridings, I say do it!

Redid my Mississauga Riding map on Google to make it easier to make changes. Kept it to 7 ridings within city limits. Main change was keeping Clarkson and Port Credit together, and keeping Cooksville a lot smaller. I think I've delineated the border between Streetsville and Meadowvale as well as can be done, whereas the border between Streetsville and Erindale/Erin Mills is harder to define. And the rest of them I just had to guess.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U....621165,-79.563675&spn=0.305204,0.576782&z=11

The map may take some time to load.

Last edited:
From the Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...re-seats-in-house-of-commons-for-ontario?bn=1

Feds confirm more seats in House of Commons for Ontario
Published 1 hour 7 minutes agoEmail Print(0) Rss ArticleComments (0)
The Conservatives have announced that Ontario will get 15 additional seats in the House of Commons, with Alberta getting six more, B.C. getting six more, and three more for Quebec.

Adrian Wyld/THE CANADIAN PRESS
The Canadian Press
BRAMPTON, ONT.—Several provinces are getting more seats in the House of Commons to reflect population growth.

The Conservative government said Thursday that it will introduce legislation which will give 15 additional seats to Ontario, six more to British Columbia, six to Alberta and three to Quebec.

The bill “will achieve better representation for faster-growing provinces while maintaining representation for smaller and slower-growing provinces,†said Tim Uppal, minister of state for democratic reform.

Uppal made the announcement in Brampton, Ont., following weeks of speculation over how many additional seats each province would receive.

Both Ontario and Quebec had been expecting more seats in the expanded House of Commons.

Reports earlier this month suggested Ontario would increase its presence in the Commons by 13 seats, bringing its total to 119 instead of its current 106 seats.

While Thursday’s legislation announcement promises more seats than some expected, it nonetheless falls short of the 18 spots Ontario was slated to receive under previous legislation that died when Parliament was dissolved.

The previous bill, which was introduced last spring, would have also given seven seats to British Columbia and five for Alberta.

Meanwhile, Quebec wants a guarantee that it will continue to hold 24 per cent of the chamber’s seats. It currently has 75 of the 308 seats.

Uppal said the government wants to ensure population growth is factored in accurately when allocating seats.

Normally, the seating in the House of Commons is adjusted after each census using a complex formula adopted in 1985, but the Conservatives have said that formula penalized some regions

Back