News   Apr 26, 2024
 428     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 196     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 662     0 

Taxis and ride-sharing in Toronto

Uber does rate customers
Indeed, and it's much safer for the Uber driver, since he/she can decide if they want to pick up the person even before they make contact, as opposed to a taxi that would risk a nasty encounter if they refused a customer to their face.

One benefit of Uber to riders is you're less likely to be refused a ride because of your skin colour http://fusion.net/story/170983/uber-racial-politics/

This is the first well thought-out move by the taxi companies since this whole Uber vs. cabbies all started: Rejecting the ability to surge price.

Toronto taxi companies reject surge pricing, call it ‘extortion’
After council voted to change the rules for taxis and companies like Uber, brokerages say they reject new pricing models they’ve been given

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...s-reject-surge-pricing-call-it-extortion.html

This is the first well thought-out move by the taxi companies since this whole Uber vs. cabbies all started: Rejecting the ability to surge price.

Toronto taxi companies reject surge pricing, call it ‘extortion’
After council voted to change the rules for taxis and companies like Uber, brokerages say they reject new pricing models they’ve been given

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...s-reject-surge-pricing-call-it-extortion.html

We won't charge you extra - we would just refuse to pick you up unless you are travelling to destinations we think is worth our effort.

AoD

I wonder what this will mean for Uber at the airport.
how are they going to stop uber? You cannot tell looking in a car for the most part if its a Uber driven car. I do not get these municipalities trying to protect the cab industry. Ice use to be delivered for ice boxes prior to refrigeration, did they ban them to keep those people delivering ice employed and the organizations making the ice?

how are they going to stop uber? You cannot tell looking in a car for the most part if its a Uber driven car. I do not get these municipalities trying to protect the cab industry. Ice use to be delivered for ice boxes prior to refrigeration, did they ban them to keep those people delivering ice employed and the organizations making the ice?

Same way the city does now. Send bylaw enforcement to the airport, use the app to call an Uber, and ticket the drivers as they arrive. In this case, Uber is likely the one that will shut down operations in Mississauga.

Last edited:
Same way the city does now. Send bylaw enforcement to the airport, use the app to call an Uber, and ticket the drivers as they arrive.
How does this work in the law? If I'm doing something illegal, it's not an illegal transaction until I've done it, i.e. cash has changed hands for the ride. The Uber driving can only be accused of picking up someone for financial gain if the ride is completed. Otherwise you're issuing by-law infractions for intending to break the law, as opposed to breaking it. If a park bylaw says no campfires, and I show up with wood and a bag of marshmallows, am I at risk of being charged?

Same way the city does now. Send bylaw enforcement to the airport, use the app to call an Uber, and ticket the drivers as they arrive. In this case, Uber is likely the one that will shut down operations in Mississauga.

They can't pick up on the airport property anyway unless they have a license from the GTAA to pick up

guess similar to how they made it so difficult for food trucks, cause "taking business away from bricks and motar businesses". Guess also because it eats into the revenue city takes in and monies lost due to lessening for regulations. I can't wait until something else comes along cause it will. Too bad Uber can't figure out the names of by law enforcers so when they call, ride is declined. Something to that effect. Guess next hotels will be crying cause Airb&b taking away business. Plus any business making less than $30,000 does not have to pay HST

Back