News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 536     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Taxis and ride-sharing in Toronto

Tory has spearheaded a deal for Uber to continue in the city under new guidelines, with a number of concessions from taxi drivers and a number of benefits for taxi owners. Motions are slowly making their way through council...
I wonder if the taxi drivers there understand the motions being put forth. Perhaps thats being mean.

I have to edit this post cause I am not sure I even understand. One motion I saw was the driver in the PTC has to inform the passenger of the make and model. Not sure now if thats a written notification or what. This is crazy. I cannot believe Uber will go for any of this stuff. All this regulation just to add more money to the city coffers. Are they going to regulate AirB&B next when hotels start complaining they need to pay tax to the city and these owners of Airb&b do not

Last edited:
The "gold plated" taxi licences I suppose are still here. I don't understand how they cannot get rid of them. Will Uber go for these rules? How is the city really going to be able to regulate all this? There will be someone somewhere, perhaps another start-up who is right now thinking of a better mouse trap. What about hitch hiking. People are allowed to do this and people are allowed to pick up people. No one knows if money could be excahmged

Are they going to regulate AirB&B next when hotels start complaining they need to pay tax to the city and these owners of Airb&b do not

Actually in this instance I think it would be fair for the city to levy taxes - not on Airb&b per se but on the owners of the suites on a pro rata basis. Just because you are a new mode of economy doesn't exempt you from taxation.

AoD

How do they figure out who is doing it? With rentals from people who live in the city, they will ask for tax receips to use at income tax time so you gotta declare income. But if you ask for cash, no receipt and no income. With Airb&b, I assume when someone books from another country or city, the owner of the suite or apt, gets paid through paypal. Vactioner is not going to be filing out income tax return and using receipt as an expense. If one has a line of credit, money can be direct deposited into their and I don't know whether government is sent anything by bank for deposited made over a certain figure. Its not a savings or chequing account. I have a line of credit for mortgage on my house through Manulife called Manulife One. Anything you deposit goes directly to paying off line of credit so balance goes down. As you write cheques against it or pay bills, balance goes up. Me and my husband have a rental property but are not doing Airb&b. Never thought about doing it. I had not realized how big the thing has become. But technically if we had done it, money would be deposited into that line of credit account to pay down mortgage on our house. I called to ask Mnaulife if we had a deposit to make on the account over $5000 is a notice sent to Revenue Canada and they said no

How do they figure out who is doing it? With rentals from people who live in the city, they will ask for tax receips to use at income tax time so you gotta declare income. But if you ask for cash, no receipt and no income. With Airb&b, I assume when someone books from another country or city, the owner of the suite or apt, gets paid through paypal. Vactioner is not going to be filing out income tax return and using receipt as an expense. If one has a line of credit, money can be direct deposited into their and I don't know whether government is sent anything by bank for deposited made over a certain figure. Its not a savings or chequing account. I have a line of credit for mortgage on my house through Manulife called Manulife One. Anything you deposit goes directly to paying off line of credit so balance goes down. As you write cheques against it or pay bills, balance goes up. Me and my husband have a rental property but are not doing Airb&b. Never thought about doing it. I had not realized how big the thing has become. But technically if we had done it, money would be deposited into that line of credit account to pay down mortgage on our house. I called to ask Mnaulife if we had a deposit to make on the account over $5000 is a notice sent to Revenue Canada and they said no

Let's get real here - you have a centralized rental platform (Airbnb) and you tell me one can't keep track? I don't really care about who is doing the paying - what the government should care about is who got paid for it. At the end of the day, it's income.

AoD

Let's get real here - you have a centralized rental platform (Airbnb) and you tell me one can't keep track? I don't really care about who is doing the paying - what the government should care about is who got paid for it. At the end of the day, it's income.

AoD

Right, If Google Adwords can submit income information and withhold income taxes for the millions of Americans who earn $100/year from ads on their low volume website, Air B&B and other sales gateways can achieve the same.

Last edited:
Right, If Google Adwords can submit income information and withhold taxes for the millions of Americans who earn $100/year from ads on their low volume website, Air B&B and other sales gateways can achieve the same. They charge the card, they can collect hotel related taxes.

Indeed - and in fact these platforms - when properly utilized can also serve as a great tool for ensuring transparency and compliance with existing regulations while simplifying the administrative burden. But of course no one would want to hear that flip side of the coin - the social economy should be about increasing efficiency, flexibility and choice, not trying to find loopholes and otherwise escape from one's responsibilities.

AoD

Exactly.. which takes us back to the taxi debate of last night... So much time wasted discussing safety and cameras.. Yet nobody had the common sense to say 'well Uber's platform has the person's name on file, and their credit card' nothing to say about what they have on the driver as well!

Much more transparent, much safer.

Reactions: rbt
Exactly.. which takes us back to the taxi debate of last night... So much time wasted discussing safety and cameras.. Yet nobody had the common sense to say 'well Uber's platform has the person's name on file, and their credit card' nothing to say about what they have on the driver as well!

Much more transparent, much safer.

What these apps should have is a rating function for the quality of the customer as well - why should it only empower consumers and not service provider?

AoD

Back