News   Apr 25, 2024
 269     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Taxis and ride-sharing in Toronto

I've downloaded the Beck app today for a ride from my house to Union Stn to catch the UPE. I thought I'd give the establishment a shot before going Uber.

EDIT - changed my mind after reviewing the app. Have instead installed Uber and will use Uber Taxi (not Uber X) tomorrow morning. I'd like to support the legal taxi driver while still getting the Uber service. Cost savings of Uber X are not relevant as biz expense.

Last edited:
Insurer cancelling policies of UberX drivers - Toronto Star

So let's see if I understand this. The only difference between private and commercial auto insurance is the later costs more, because your income drives from the insured vehicle? Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of highway robbery? :confused:
Not highway robbery....appropriate risk underwriting.

If you are using your car as a place of business to transport other unrelated parties you are, both, more likely to be on the road more often (increasing exposure to accidents) and be party to a 3rd person liability claim from, both, people outwith your car and those unrelated parties inside your car.

So the opportunity for a an accident and the potential financial liability from an accident are increased. Sound risk underwriting would suggest that the premium charged for accepting those increased risks should also increase.

Last edited:
Actually, might be just my luck, but every Uber I've taken so far has been predominantly temporarily full-time because they've lost their job, etc.

I haven't met someone who has been doing it full-time for a longtime though. Seems like it's more of a temporary gig until you find something a little more stable with better hours, etc.
It's probably regional (i.e. downtown versus suburbs).

In some areas, it's their temporary fulltime gig. In other areas, it's an income supplement.

Not highway robbery....appropriate risk underwriting.

If you are using your car as a place of business to transport other unrelated parties you are, both, more likely to be on the road more often (increasing exposure to accidents) and be party to a 3rd person liability claim from, both, people outwith your car and those unrelated parties inside your car.

So the opportunity for a an accident and the potential financial liability from an accident are increased. Sound risk underwriting would suggest that the premium charged for accepting those increased risks should also increase.

True. And that's why most major US carriers have added a rider onto the policy which allow for Uber fares. The increased cost is around US$200 (C$240)

Right now the commercial cost of insurance for taxi's in significantly higher than this. But since Uber takes on some of the risk (as part of their 20% commission) the US carriers were able to reduce the incremental cost to the driver.

True. And that's why most major US carriers have added a rider onto the policy which allow for Uber fares. The increased cost is around US$200 (C$240)

Right now the commercial cost of insurance for taxi's in significantly higher than this. But since Uber takes on some of the risk (as part of their 20% commission) the US carriers were able to reduce the incremental cost to the driver.
That would be a great solution to see implemented here. I agree that Uber drivers should probably have some increased cost to their car insurance...no matter how you slice it they're using their vehicles for commercial purposes. A few hundred dollars is reasonable...a few tens of thousands of dollars is not. As long as Uber corporate has an umbrella policy that steps and covers any gaps in liability, that's great.

Great time with uber taxi this morning. Clean, newer hybrid Camry with courteous driver. Beyond price, what's the appeal of uber x over taxi?

It might be just me, but I usually take the Taxi in some of my most vulnerable moments (late at night, inebriated, or tired/not thinking straight) On a number of occasions I've had Taxi drivers refuse to take me home if I ask them to turn on the metre (because they know it'll be cheaper than if they tell me a flat fare) and other times I've told them to go a specific route and they blatantly ignored me acting like they didn't understand my english (so that a short trip turns out to be a longer trip). I've completely lost faith in the taxi system and find a lot of these things are better on Uber or even eliminated (no fee haggling, etc it's all done by Uber and I never have to discuss the fare with my uber drive).

On a number of occasions I've had Taxi drivers refuse to take me home if I ask them to turn on the metre (because they know it'll be cheaper than if they tell me a flat fare) .
Really, in Toronto? I've had plenty of fights over turning on a meter in China, Thailand, India, etc., but I've never had that fight in Toronto. Then again, I almost exclusively use Uber anyway. Actually, I managed to avoid those meter fights on my last trip to India, as I was able to use Uber in Bangalore and Mumbai. There it was amazing, reasonable prices without any haggling at all.

I can't say I've ever had a problem in Toronto with them not turning on the meter, or driving what would either be a reasonable attempt the fastest, or most direct route. I have to wonder, if it's a problem in a particular area, or company?

I had issues with the last two taxis I took trying to take a longer route.

Well that didn't last long.

Screen shot 2015-12-01 at 2.48.51 PM.png

CVKmVkWWoAA3pS7.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-01 at 2.48.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-01 at 2.48.51 PM.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 357
  • CVKmVkWWoAA3pS7.jpg
    CVKmVkWWoAA3pS7.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

Back