News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 406     0 

Toronto's best residential streets

What do people think of Wychwood Park? A lot of people in the Bathurst-St. Clair area love walking through there, but it does give off a creepy vibe to some.

To be fair those gates are absolutely tiny and, I imagine, largely symbolic. Only in a place as polite as here would those be seen as any sort of deterrent to trespassing.

Yeah, I grew up in the area and a lot of people feel pretty uninhibited walking through there. On the other hand, I wonder how quickly the cops would show up if a group of young Black men went through a walk in the Park.

It was however home to Marshall McLuhan, and Adam Vaughan grew up there. Vaughan said it was a lot like the Annex when he was growing up in the 60s and 70s, and had a lot of university professors (I know that Peter Russell, one of Canada's top constitutional experts and Anatol Rapaport, a game theorist and later founder of the peace studies at U of T lived there).

Last edited:
Of the east-west Annex streets running from Avenue Rd., my favorite is Tranby. It has retained its old character better than the others.

I like St. George in the Annex though its old character is gone. It may not be the best, but we have too few midrise corridors like that one. There's still a lot of greenery and it's quite pleasant. The architecture is decent too--better than Jameson Ave in Parkdale which is similar in built form.

Last edited:
McGill and Granby between Yonge and Church offer a look at pretty much every era of townhouse since the late 1800s. It's bizarre and amazing. I love those streets.

McGill and Granby between Yonge and Church offer a look at pretty much every era of townhouse since the late 1800s. It's bizarre and amazing. I love those streets.

They're interesting. I like this series of postmodern Bay and Gables with brownstone-style stoops. Bay and Gables are great, but I like those big stoops in New York's brownstones. They add grandeur and also encourage people to sit on the steps and chat--keeping eyes on the street.

My fav residential street is High Park Avenue. Terminates at High Park on one end and dundas in the junction at the other. Great mix of rental towers, condo towers, community housing, mansions, and and rental units that is rare to find all on one street. The lots are also huge and have a huge arcade of trees to go along with it.

My fav commercial strip is dundas in little portugal, between landsdowne and ossington. Because of the angle, there is an amazing terminal view of the downtown skyline when walking east. The retail stock is quintessentially toronto for me and it's what queen west looked like 15 years ago and is becoming more and more rare.

Back