Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

This was a busy stretch and a sketchy stretch for a long time. For Toronto's 'Main Street' this area has been dreadful for decades. I went to Ryerson and worked at Eaton's in the 80's . It was busy and sketchy.

Exactly. But I like busy and sketchy. The Eaton Centre handles the non-sketchy stuff quite well. Can't wait for another Shoppers to show up :(

Does anyone know if the Yonge St Mission has relocated to Spadina? There were protests in Chinatown early last year about the relocation plan, but no news recently. The location pictured above (part of this development) seems to have been vacated.
Their 9 programs run out of several offices, most on Gerrard East. Their website still includes the Evergreen Centre for Street Youth on Yonge… so, dunno!

There's some info here. Although, I'm not sure if this is still accurate or if timelines will be met. The page was last updated on June 1, 2017.

https://www.charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/190-yonge-street-mission

By the end of 2017, Yonge Street Mission’s Evergreen Centre for Street Youth will move into a 24,000 square-foot space on Spadina Avenue. The centre will include a rooftop terrace, healthcare area and mental health centre. The charity hopes to increase reach and engagement of youth in the Toronto community.

Thanks. Given the media coverage of the protests last year, you'd think they will also cover the relocation. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I hope this is approved soon and demolition of whatever's not retained will start before too long. As sketchy as it was, this stretch is worse now with the shuttered businesses.

I miss Big Slice :(

New Years 2016. Last time I ate there. I'll always cherish that night (because I went to a great house party and moderated myself enough to still remember it!).

It's pretty crummy on Cresford's part to boot everyone out like that. Aren't there more acceptable models of accommodating current tenants and still being able to boot them out to get construction going once you're approved? Giving them new leases with a 30-60 day eviction notice period at the owner's discretion?

Would go a long way to showing good will to the community and the city, IMO.

From what I could tell, Big Slice wasn't kicked out. They closed long before the other businesses in the building. Maybe I'm wrong.

What bugs me is that I read that Big Slice would be opening another location close by shortly but I haven't heard anything since then.

Norm Li's photo captures the future location of the site well:

37117856560_7ffb0ba024_o.jpg

Attachments

• 37312900910_504bc78515_h1.jpg
    37312900910_504bc78515_h1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 819
  • photoblogto nathan1.jpg
    photoblogto nathan1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 709
  • skyline ysl1.jpg
    skyline ysl1.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 723
Yep. It is up to and including 365 Yonge, which the architectural plans show as restored. All those retail units pictured are part of it.

One thing I found curious is that 365 is part of 363, which is divided into two equal parts. This one building (Richard S. Williams Block) is listed heritage in its entirety. The architectural drawing only shows the northernmost third. Looking at the heritage assessment, it says the Williams Block "will be partially retained and incorporated into the proposed development," with the west facade being retained in place. It's still not clear to me: does Cresford own 363?

All that said, 355-361 is what remains, and will the the section to watch. Zanzibar is in the middle of it all.

Yeah, maybe the guy that owns the Zanzibar has missed the boat on another development south of YSL
.. or just maybe there is room to squeeze another tower between YSL and Ryerson's SLC ...hmm?

It’s Closing Time for Toronto’s Strip Clubs
The slow death of the “gentlemen’s club”
is another sign of the city’s high land prices and booming condo construction

“Sometimes I feel like the last living dinosaur along Yonge Street,” says Allen Cooper, the second-generation owner of the famous—or infamous—Zanzibar Tavern. The former divorce lawyer says he has been approached by at least 30 suitors for his property in the past few years but is holding out for a “blow my socks off” offer. “I don’t know how many condos we’re going to get, but it seems like just a wall” of them, Cooper says. He wouldn’t disclose the price he’d sell at, but land deals nearby give a hint of what’s possible. Remington’s Men of Steel, a male dance club behind a heavy door, sold to KingSett Capital Inc., which last year flipped it to Cresford Developments as part of a bigger portfolio on that block that went for about C$160 million ($125 million), according to real estate data supplier Altus Group. That club is closing next year, to be replaced by a 98-story condo.
More......https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-12/it-s-closing-time-for-toronto-s-strip-clubs

Yeah, maybe the guy that owns the Zanzibar has missed the boat on another development south of YSL
.. or just maybe there is room to squeeze another tower between YSL and Ryerson's SLC ...hmm?

It’s Closing Time for Toronto’s Strip Clubs
The slow death of the “gentlemen’s club”
is another sign of the city’s high land prices and booming condo construction

“Sometimes I feel like the last living dinosaur along Yonge Street,” says Allen Cooper, the second-generation owner of the famous—or infamous—Zanzibar Tavern. The former divorce lawyer says he has been approached by at least 30 suitors for his property in the past few years but is holding out for a “blow my socks off” offer. “I don’t know how many condos we’re going to get, but it seems like just a wall” of them, Cooper says. He wouldn’t disclose the price he’d sell at, but land deals nearby give a hint of what’s possible. Remington’s Men of Steel, a male dance club behind a heavy door, sold to KingSett Capital Inc., which last year flipped it to Cresford Developments as part of a bigger portfolio on that block that went for about C$160 million ($125 million), according to real estate data supplier Altus Group. That club is closing next year, to be replaced by a 98-story condo.
More......https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-12/it-s-closing-time-for-toronto-s-strip-clubs

Getting away from YSL a bit but...

355-361 Yonge as a site is ~1,200 m², but is only ~30m wide N-S, and 40m deep E-W. Applying setbacks from the tall building guidelines completely prohibits a tower on the site; 25m from Ryerson building leaves 5 metres on the north side. And given that, I didn't bother looking at what setbacks would be required from YSL. Even applying setbacks from the street and laneway (3m from street, 12.5m from middle of back laneway) only leaves 27m; not much to work with, even if it is about 70% more than that the width of that beanpole proposed at 8 Elm. But combine that with literally no width and you got nothing to work with.

So you're not going to see a tall building to demand a 'blow your socks off' price here. Sorry Coop'.

Last edited:
There is an arguement to be made that the SLC isn't going anywhere and is not a tower form so you could go with a lesser setback on that side. But yes, a tower on this site would be extremely difficult. Mr. Cooper likely has a case of waiting too long to sell, waiting for a "knock your socks off" offer that simply will not come. He should have taken whatever Kingsett offered him when they were assembling the block. I'm sure it's the best price he would have gotten.

YSL has a standard 12.5m setback from the south property line.

Back