Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I thought the Yonge Street Mission facade was a faux heritage building? I.E. it was built just to look old? what is the point of keeping it?

Beyond any heritage value, I agree with jje1000 that this treatment is way better for the fabric of the street. Smaller and more varied units that hit the street result in more interesting retail, and hopefully avoid the condo trifecta of death -- the dry cleaner, nail salon, and bank -- or the current trend of never-rented commercial units. I walk by a condo at the S/W corner of King and Tecumseth every day that has the typical giant, glassed-in commercial unit, hasn't been rented in years, and it's sad!

I wish a lot more buildings parceled out the ground floor like this, even if the at-grade buildings were completely faux.

I have to differ a little in this instance - the "rupture" in the original proposal adds interest to the ground floor - the current scheme is run-of-the-mill, Toronto-style facadectomy that may or may not lead to the trifeca of death.

AoD

The rupture of the original proposal was too dominant in the streetscape. I would be fine with the glass tower coming down to the sidewalk but only for a minority of the frontage. Urban streets don't require a clear relationship to the tower above. What they do require is variation, some horizontal rhythm, and an interesting character.

For me, the issue is not that the heritage facades are being maintained. It's that it took keeping them to inspire the designers to treat the street as its own entity requiring vibrancy and variation. Even if there were no heritage facades present, I would hope that the designers would have eventually determined that the way their tower behaves up above is not sufficiently engaging for an urban street-level experience.

The rupture of the original proposal was too dominant in the streetscape. I would be fine with the glass tower coming down to the sidewalk but only for a minority of the frontage. Urban streets don't require a clear relationship to the tower above. What they do require is variation, some horizontal rhythm, and an interesting character.

For me, the issue is not that the heritage facades are being maintained. It's that it took keeping them to inspire the designers to treat the street as its own entity requiring vibrancy and variation. Even if there were no heritage facades present, I would hope that the designers would have eventually determined that the way their tower behaves up above is not sufficiently engaging for an urban street-level experience.

It maybe dominant but it also felt real - this current form turns out to be pastiche - and hiding a 300m tower behind it is almost laughably bad.

AoD

Built in 1962 I believe - the original was far superior

qLsmUo1.jpg
The original evidently didn't believeth in the Son.

Those asking for different facades from KPF may be disappointed, they have a track record of keeping it pretty simple though with some great details (see the new E&Y Tower).

I am glad of what i saw today.
I think this skyscraper will get approved pretty quickly.
Does someone know when is the next presentation to
the design review panel and get its final approval?
Thank you in advance for your answer.
I can't wait to see this building in the skyline.

Now appearing in the renderings is Ryerson University's logo. While there has been no formal announcement of a deal for Ryerson to take office space in the podium, the developer and institution are clearly working towards that arrangement. To that end, a pedestrian bridge (not shown below) is proposed across O'Keefe Lane along the east side of the building, to join up the offices in YSL with the existing Ryerson buildings to the east.

The best new news from this site!

29271-101187.jpeg

Such a no-brainer, I was shocked that they weren't initially getting involved with Ryerson. The potential to expand Ryerson's campus on Yonge Street, add more square footage, and reutilize O'Keefe Laneway just makes too much sense.

The best new news from this site!
Such a no-brainer, I was shocked that they weren't initially getting involved with Ryerson. The potential to expand Ryerson's campus on Yonge Street, add more square footage,

Yeah i agree i love it how developers are now partnering with schools,
this (Ryerson at YSL), OCAD at Gehry, George Brown @ The Light House, probably more that i cant remember
...hopefully soon we will see a high school or two proposed in a high-rise development

Thank you Automation Gallery and Kotsy for your answers!
It's the best time to be a member of Urban Toronto!
It's will be incredible if 1 Yonge,Mirvish Gehry and YSL are built at the same moment.
I am so happy to see this extraordinary transformation .

I'd like to see more exoskeleton style arch in toronto. View for fun!

Attachments

• View Extra2.jpg
    View Extra2.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 340

Back