Toronto The New Residences of Yorkville Plaza | 92.05m | 31s | Camrost-Felcorp | WZMH COMPLETE

Should the Queens Park view corridor be preserved?

• Yes

Votes: 168 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 145 37.4%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 60 15.5%

• Total voters
Who is the architect? (It's not like it isn't already a matter of public record to someone less sloth-like. There is also a good chance of it appearing in this month's community council meetings whose agenda will be posted online any time now.)

^ Its a Peter Clewes building

btw, the height of the 58 story building, in meters, if I remember correctly, is 224.7 meters, but don't quote me on that

Another Clewes Building? He already had pretty much an entire urban block for himself (New Four Seasons - 18 Yorkville). At this rate, they'd have to rename Yorkville after him.

Thanks again for that bit of info!

AoD

Clewes just owns Yorkville now doesn't he! The tallest buildings there are all his:D

I'm still sad to see the old FS go, and it's one demolition I can see ourselves regretting in 20 years.

Filip:

I'm still sad to see the old FS go, and it's one demolition I can see ourselves regretting in 20 years.

They can satisify their nostalgic urges by staring at Sheraton or Sutton Place instead.

AoD

Filip:

They can satisify their nostalgic urges by staring at Sheraton or Sutton Place instead.

AoD

It's not the same, the FS soars somewhat elegantly compared to the wall effect of the Sheraton and Sutton. I agree the podium is rather unfortunate but that can easily be fixed. However, I quite like the tower portion.

Oh man....not another Clewes. I like the guy's work, but we're rapidly heading for a monoculture. There is so much other good local talent...not to mention the world beyond our shores, in which there are dozens of architects I would give my big toe to see working in Toronto. Richard Rogers? Antoine Predock? Jean Nouvel? Are any developers reading this?

So Clewes designed the new FS to be oppressive at street level, and is now replacing the old FS with something that meets the street well?

I look forward to seeing the design, but I agree that someone new might have been nice. aA is the new KPMB: consistent and safe, but less interesting with each new design.

224.7 metres = ~737 feet

In addition, the 48 story Tower 2 will probably be around 610 feet in height (or slightly higher), assuming the same floor heights. So the 'Big Five' along Bloor would be:

One Bloor East : 76 storeys / ~926 feet (assuming that Bazis does make it just a bit taller than Trump)
21 Avenue Road 1 : 58 storeys / ~737 feet
New Four Seasons 1 : 55 storeys / ~686 feet
21 Avenue Road 2 : 48 storeys / ~610 feet
Manulife Centre : 51 storeys / 545 feet

Bill

this is really exciting news!
but another clewes building ... I hope he tries something different and new..

It's not the same, the FS soars somewhat elegantly compared to the wall effect of the Sheraton and Sutton. I agree the podium is rather unfortunate but that can easily be fixed. However, I quite like the tower portion.

Sheraton, yes, but I've never heard of anyone taken aback by any "wall effect" of Sutton Place. It's not in a location that motivates such sentiment.

Basically, Sheraton/Sutton are rectangles, and FS is a square--and squares needn't mean a greater reputation for "elegant soar". And I think FS has *always* had a reputation for boxiness, and boxiness isn't necessarily "superior" to slabbiness. And relative to the 70s, I can see FS/Hyatt being regarded as something of an overweeningly unfortunate contemporary incursion looming over Queens Park when viewed from the south--sort of like its era's version of ROCP-over-Old-City-Hall...

Clewes does not deserve the Clewless joke.

He's saved us from innumerable Varacalli Burkas and Graziani + Corazzas.

Back