Toronto Yonge & Rich Condominiums | 156.35m | 46s | Great Gulf | a—A

jje: I think you missed charioteer's wink! No-one would expect the Victoria Theatre to be rebuilt, but it was great to see what was on this site in days of yore…

Mmm, flew a mile over my head. I still hope any construction that goes here attempts to address the heritage buildings surrounding it.

And that's not the site anyway - the site is on Lombard, not the corner of Victoria and Richmond.

It's all the same site (and my post was tongue-in-cheek):

richmondvictoria.jpg

so was the sign a development application, just a Great Gulf "coming soon" sign? cause if its a development application, I'm amazed nobody has gone over and read what it says yet...

Well, at one end of the block there is the brew pub in that accursed space where nothing ever lasts, and then other than the apartment building mid block there's nothing else there other than the Spring Rolls and the sex club above it.

Someone has been doing a lot of work inside one of the old bar spaces on Lombard. Presumably that's where the sales centre will go.

The block, itself.

lombard.jpg

It is really quite amazing that nothing has been done with it. I mean, The Bay-Adelaide Centre is one block west, just on the other side of Yonge Street.
I think this is a bit of negative 'east side bias' at work - there's another empty parking lot on Church immediately to the east of this property, and the huge surface parking lot that one of our forum members planned for 'Cathedral Square' is just a block northeast. Plus the empty lots at Church and Shuter.

It's a great piece of property, with the Indigo Condos (one of my long-time favourites), the wonderful historical buildings remaining on site, and ...erm... well, there is that pub, a Spring Rolls and the one and only Goodhandy's at the other end. I wouldn't mind seeing that pub building renovated and cleaned up - it looks like there might be something to it under all that paint.

I always forget that pub. I don't know a soul who has been there.

I've always suspected that the ownership of all the properties on this block must be complicated in some way, and that has impeded development.

A couple of years ago the owners tidied up the parking lot at SE corner of Victoria and Richmond. It used to have an (unused) underground parking area which they either removed or filled in. Not quite sure why they decided to do this, the homeless guys who seemed to live there were none too pleased and the extra parking they gained was minimal.

Back