Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

Just to show the lighting of the new structure along with the original office towers, here's a photo I took just yesterday evening:
P1013204.JPG

Attachments

• P1013204.JPG
    P1013204.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,817
That roof top "public" space will never be used or seen by the public. It's difficult enough to get in and out of this mall and even more difficult to find a store, even if on the first level (and this mall has a number of "first" levels). Meanwhile, the streetscape is a mess and patchwork of asphalt and concrete that looks unfinished (and I pray that it is unfinished and that they will soon fix it).

I'm still missing something, are they not recladding the buildings? As their renders depict. No question about that. False images need to stop.

The proposed recladding was part of extending the buildings more floors into the air. That extension hasn't happened yet, so neither has the recladding. When RioCan can make a business case for going forward with that plan, you'll hear about it again.

That roof top "public" space will never be used or seen by the public. It's difficult enough to get in and out of this mall and even more difficult to find a store, even if on the first level (and this mall has a number of "first" levels).
It's very easy to get to the roof by the public from the street -- the elevator is just a few steps from the street entrance. I agree, though, that this extension absurdly fails to connect to the rest of the mall in any meaningful way -- it's essentially a separate building. (To be fair, the mall itself is almost Escher-esque in its topological problems independent of the addition).

It's very easy to get to the roof by the public from the street -- the elevator is just a few steps from the street entrance. I agree, though, that this extension absurdly fails to connect to the rest of the mall in any meaningful way -- it's essentially a separate building. (To be fair, the mall itself is almost Escher-esque in its topological problems independent of the addition).
Ahh, you have to take the elevator to get there. I was trying to get to the rooftop yesterday but gave up when the escalators only took me to the Sephora.

I work in one of the towers and the patio is pretty packed at lunch time with people. You can take the elevator to the roof from either the food court level, the street or from inside Winners. They are also adding some tables and benches as I type this.

Now that Sephora has opened the new building is linked to the lobby of one of the office buildings.

Aug 09, 2016
You get a nice view from the roof patio as a good advantage of current and future development. A nice place to just to relax or eat your lunch.

Provision to extend access to the west tower once that floor is to be remodel.

More up on site
28365557634_06351407b6_h.jpg

28365561104_14cc19620c_h.jpg

28908370711_a68fed025e_h.jpg

28984661885_afc93848fa_h.jpg

28908383431_8c1420ba65_h.jpg

28879647352_a54b184ee6_h.jpg

28698864610_a0ce32bba3_h.jpg

28984683245_46e231d3be_h.jpg

View
28360470204_95fd9f8283_h.jpg

28360463644_1acfe845a4_h.jpg

Not bad now that it's all come together. That pickle barrel sign is still ridiculous though and the towers definitely need a reclad, but looking ok now on the corner

I walked along Eglinton east Yonge to Mt Pleasent yesterday. It wasn't pleasant. I'm so disappointed. There is no continuity. Set backs of the new buildings are random as are building surfaces, heights and scale. The city had a golden opportunity to create a beautiful remake of a largely uninspired street but blew it. There are few, if any, public amenities (seating, lighting, plazas, etc.) and no sense of a grand plan. I like variety but what I saw, at this stage, are a series of massive overbearing piecemeal designs with little consideration given to street level livability. Where are our "city planners"?

tied up in their Eglinton Greenway fantasy that will do nothing but fragment the streetscape of the north side of Eglinton. They want 12m setbacks from the property line, but many parcels are already heavily developed as large office buildings. With office replacement requirements, accommodating the setback simply isn't viable. What is going to happen is a few developments will provide the setback, creating an odd streetscape of 0m setbacks and little forecourts in front of new development.

Back