Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

^ I see no reason to compare ourselves to Chicago, New York, Hong Kong, or any other place. We are ourselves.

Having said that, I would suggest that there are only a couple of good sites for supertalls in Toronto. I imagine that one would look good at Front/Simcoe, and another at Front/Yonge. Unlike New York and Chicago, we have very narrow streets and sidewalks. Supertalls show to advantage on wider streets.

If we do get a supertall or two, is it unreasonable that the future architects could take a cue from I. M. Pei's Bank of China, or perhaps the work of Jean Nouvel in Manhattan? I am getting quite tired of today's straight-up make-a-buck stuff. (Frankly, only Mies alone had artistry there).

Last edited:
Yeah, also 22 million dollars seems pretty high to purchase a property that they would have no intention to develop..this is going to happen and will be tall, they're just sitting back with this one and playing the wait and see game.:)

Maybe wait and see what type of proposals come in for the buildings in the area (I'm thinking specifically 501 Yonge). It's a lot easier to push for a few extra floors when there's already some pretty tall buildings in the area. If they want to build something along the lines of Aura north of College, I would they're going to need a few ~50s in the immediate area to set a precedent for height. That way they're only asking for 15-20 over what is established, not 40-50 like it currently is.

..future home of College Park 4?

god i hope not.
besides, the actual borders of CP are Yonge/College/Bay/Gerrard.

to go beyond that is like saying Yorkville extends beyond Bay/bloor/Yonge/Davenport.
oh wait, realtors and developers are doing that already ;)

Borders can change with time. They're artificial constructs, and when they no longer suit, they change to suit, no big deal. Potentially adding the block across the street to College Park would not be the biggest stretch ever.

All that said, I don't think it would really improve Canderel's sales to label this one College Park 4. They already pulled back from the RoCP label when they promoted the name Aura more than the College Park association, and when they left the weak RoCP architectural vocabulary behind. There'd be no benefit in calling it number 4.

god i hope not.
besides, the actual borders of CP are Yonge/College/Bay/Gerrard.

to go beyond that is like saying Yorkville extends beyond Bay/bloor/Yonge/Davenport.
oh wait, realtors and developers are doing that already ;)

But Yorkville does extend beyond that - it ends at Avenue, not Bay. ;)

Maybe wait and see what type of proposals come in for the buildings in the area (I'm thinking specifically 501 Yonge). It's a lot easier to push for a few extra floors when there's already some pretty tall buildings in the area. If they want to build something along the lines of Aura north of College, I would they're going to need a few ~50s in the immediate area to set a precedent for height. That way they're only asking for 15-20 over what is established, not 40-50 like it currently is.

501 yonge proposal is already in at 58x2....or did u mean wait and see where they end up? i wonder how they come up with a number like 58....soudns crazy to me. but if they get anything close then good for this canderal site for sure.

Paint me skeptical of this guy. He has "broken" two unconfirmed developents in less then 24hrs, plus apparently is confirming that they are getting 55s here? Could certainly be right, but as a hockey fan in the digital age, you learn not to trust anybody but the most trusted. Far more 'Eklunds' out in the world then there are 'McKenzies' if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
501 yonge proposal is already in at 58x2....or did u mean wait and see where they end up? i wonder how they come up with a number like 58....soudns crazy to me. but if they get anything close then good for this canderal site for sure.

I suspect that 501 Yonge will be knocked down a couple floors. But if it is, and with Aura right down the street, they can be more comfortable in saying "there's precedent for height in the area, so we want to fit in somewhere between 501 Yonge and Aura (in terms of height)".

I suspect that 501 Yonge will be knocked down a couple floors. .

I disagree, i actually think that the city will be much happier with a 10 storey increase on one of the towers and a decrease of 15 floors on the other..overall nowadays we have to look at the big picture on Yonge with One Bloor up the street at 70 floors.

Canderel doesn't typically use Milborne as their sales agents, not sure how Mr Black would know what is planned for the site (perhaps he knows the architect?) - I spoke with the developer last week and they had not made the final decision on building height. They may have made that decision over the last week! I don't know.

I disagree, i actually think that the city will be much happier with a 10 storey increase on one of the towers and a decrease of 15 floors on the other..overall nowadays we have to look at the big picture on Yonge with One Bloor up the street at 70 floors.

That could be the case as well, time will tell. My point is that I think they'll wait a bit until more height precedents are set in the area.

Back