News   Apr 24, 2024
 674     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 877     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 555     0 

Toronto Western Hospital addition: Krembil Discovery Centre (9s, Stantec/NXL)

Mike in TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Expansion plans are to be submitted to city planning shortly. The hospital is about to start a $120 million fundraising campaign for a new neurological research centre (similar in some ways to MaRS). The plan is to raise $60 million for the next building and $60 million to renovate/retrofit existing buildings. There's a target to start construction in 2010 with completion in 2012.

I hope they tear down the whole thing and start all over again ... what a mess, architecturally. (the atrium, new east building, and minor additions and renos of late hasn't helped either)

Do we know who the architects are, or is it not that far in the planning phase yet? I would think it would be with a completion date of 2010..

p5

I hope they tear down the whole thing and start all over again ... what a mess, architecturally. (the atrium, new east building, and minor additions and renos of late hasn't helped either)

Yes one could only wish for such a radical but needed remake. It hurts the brain to look at.

Krembil Discovery Centre @ Toronto Western Hospital

Noticed a white municipal application sign outside Toronto Western Hospital. I believe this is for the Krembil Discovery Centre.

http://www.krembildiscoverycentre.ca/

Venus_nw_tanenbaum.jpg

highlights.gif

Not really the best rendering to be showcasing the building, unless it is just for massing purposes..?

Does anyone know if this building is going to stretch over the street onto the parking garage that is presently occupying the site directly to the east of the TWH?

p5

Thanks for posting this.

If ever there was a place with a hodge-podge of architectural styles, Toronto Western would be it.

In spite of MaRS being put on hold, Toronto is still moving ahead with several medical research facilities. The "medical renaissance" may take its place beside the recent "cultural renaissance" in this city. Toronto will be one of the leading centres for medical research in the world, if we aren't already. Let's hope it goes ahead without delay.

I was under the impression that an addition to the hospital was going right on the corner of Dundas + Bathurst. Is there another project or am I mistaken?

In spite of MaRS being put on hold, Toronto is still moving ahead with several medical research facilities. The "medical renaissance" may take its place beside the recent "cultural renaissance" in this city. Toronto will be one of the leading centres for medical research in the world, if we aren't already. Let's hope it goes ahead without delay.

The big difference between MaRS and these research facilities is that MaRS II was a largely private venture, run out of the States no less, which focused on leasing space. The Krembil tower, like Sick Kids and St. Mike's, is a public-sector operation, bringing together researchers who already have jobs, but are currently in lousy digs.

Yes, for the most part ...
A lot of these expansions have allotted in them extra space compared to what the hospital used to have for research.

So yes a lot of the employees will be the old ones but there's room to grow built in as well.

An application was recently submitted to the planning department regarding 399 Bathurst Street for both O.P. & Zb/l amendments to permit the development of a 30,700-sq.m. research and clinical development building at Toronto Western Hospital. The project will be called the "Krembil Discovery Centre".

Last edited:

Back