Toronto West Harbour City | ?m | 36s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Yes, the only explanation possible for any development in the city is massive money loss. Kudos for making such an astute observation on the basis of a muddy hole in the ground.

Easy Hydro. Stick to things you know about.

The key to making money in the condo dev business is locking in costs fast because your revenue is pretty much fixed before a shovel hits the ground. The fact is this project looks incredibly delayed and that will eat into the slim margins that these marginal condo projects generate. Ask the developer how many of his projects were profitable. You'd be shocked to know the answer.

I suppose in your little 'wow, Donald Trump is rich because he owns all those buildings with his name on them!' world every registered condo is a home run of untold millions but in reality it's a sprint to the finish for slim margins.

The key to making money in the condo dev business is locking in costs fast because your revenue is pretty much fixed before a shovel hits the ground. The fact is this project looks incredibly delayed and that will eat into the slim margins that these marginal condo projects generate. Ask the developer how many of his projects were profitable. You'd be shocked to know the answer.

I suppose in your little 'wow, Donald Trump is rich because he owns all those buildings with his name on them!' world every registered condo is a home run of untold millions but in reality it's a sprint to the finish for slim margins.

hmmm, New Year's resolution: resume taking the anti-pessimism pills! no skipping days!

You don't read very well, do you?

I don't recall mentioning Donald Trump. It appears to be you who has his name banging around in his thoughts.

this can't possibly be a money maker for anyone

So why is it going up if it is so unprofitable?

As for being shocked by the answers of developers with respect to profitability, what is the answer? You don't seem to provide any clear insight. Which developer are you referring to? Any in particular? None? Is this your opinion?

So why is it going up if it is so unprofitable?

Legal commitments.

As for being shocked by the answers of developers with respect to profitability, what is the answer? You don't seem to provide any clear insight. Which developer are you referring to? Any in particular? None? Is this your opinion?

Plazacorp.

Investor, as I've suggested before, the trouble with where you're coming from is that it seems to emanate from the insular realm of gang turf wars. It doesn't paint your industry in a very appetizing light--and you're part of the problem. (It's a reason why I tend to keep away from the Real Estate forum.)

Ultimately, Toronto will survive. And a lot if not most of these developments you warn us against will likely settle into benign-ness, only becoming "vertical slums" in the event of total demographic collapse a la Detroit or Johannesburg...

Adma, do you like this project? Do you believe that it enhances Toronto's appeal in any meaningful way? If so, please tell us why. I think it's just another tacky, underachieving, forgettable waste of prime development land. I want higher design standards for this city. One would think that this forum would agree given the very high aptitude of its members when it comes to design and development.

The problem isn't having condos per se - the problem is having a fairly socioeconomically homogenous population in an area that has little or no urban fabric previously.

AoD

Alvin, you sir are my hero. That is precisely my point.

investor:

Nothing in your postings thus far suggested any degree of congruency with my point. In fact, I don't recall the real estate industry in general have any particular interest in creating real mixed income neighbourhoods, beyond feel good/social responsiblity announcements. It simply isn't their "job".

PS: If facisttoronto.ca displeases you so much, you are welcome to seek to voice your opinions elsewhere. Why keep on coming back?

AoD

Adma, do you like this project? Do you believe that it enhances Toronto's appeal in any meaningful way? If so, please tell us why. I think it's just another tacky, underachieving, forgettable waste of prime development land. I want higher design standards for this city. One would think that this forum would agree given the very high aptitude of its members when it comes to design and development.

Er, by this account, 99 44/100% of what exists in Toronto doesn't enhance the city's appeal in any meaningful way. But does that render Toronto a squalid dump, an urban failure? Ixnay. Look: even those execrable 80s Bay Street condos haven't degraded to Robert Taylor Homes level. Healthy urbanity heals the savage beast.

Frankly, your oh-too-pompous tone of insisting upon "higher design standards" reminds me of guys who have no time for women who don't look like high-class courtesans...

Er, by this account, 99 44/100% of what exists in Toronto doesn't enhance the city's appeal in any meaningful way. But does that render Toronto a squalid dump, an urban failure? Ixnay. Look: even those execrable 80s Bay Street condos haven't degraded to Robert Taylor Homes level. Healthy urbanity heals the savage beast.

Frankly, your oh-too-pompous tone of insisting upon "higher design standards" reminds me of guys who have no time for women who don't look like high-class courtesans...

giggle tee hee

although this project aint spectacular it will be way better than what was there before.lets not overlook that.

Back