Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

You don't think so? Of all of the grocery chains, Loblaw stores have been the most progressive architecturally: they typically raise their more urban locations over the parking lot to avoid massive open-air lots (St. Clair Market, Queens Quay Market, Bayview Village) and they follow a modernist glass and steel bent on the exterior, whereas as Sobeys and Metro are typically old-timey peaked-roof brick or precast.

In this case, Loblaws knows they have a beautiful old building here, and I think there is reason to expect they will treat it well.

I completely agree. Loblaws has done a great job of making their stores fit into their existing surroundings. I don't see why they shouldn't be trusted with this site.

I'll chime in too...

In 2005 or so, Loblaws/Superstore engaged &Co to be their corporate architects. They had had excellent experiences with the firm in the creation of their headquarters in Brampton that same year. &Co was hired to draft up some plans for 5-8 'model stores' which could be plunked down anywhere. Though this sounds like the same old 'cheap and nasty' corporate rigmarole, the difference with Galen's approach was that the company recognized and highlighted the value of having a modern, cutting edge image. Now, pretty much every new store follows one of &Co's templates and I feel every one has been quite successful (architecturally, not commercially, though they may be successful there as well). I am tremendously glad that there seem to be a few companies out there who put this sort of effort into their retail outlets since it is also a recognition that good architecture can lift one's spirits, a value I also share.

Well said, Project End. It's worth mentioning as well that many or maybe all of their newer stores include a meeting room which is available for community groups to use. Some of them also lease space to women's fitness centres, a neat way to get women (the prime grocery shoppers in most households) in the door.

Well, looks like I stand corrected, and on second thought, their newer stores do seem to make an effort to be more urban, like their store on Queens Quay, and the superstores at St. Clair and Bathurst and Weston road. I guess I was thinking more about stores like the one at Burnhamthorpe and East Mall, and especially the one south of Bloor on Dundas, which is a pretty offensive example, but I guess that one comes from a time when the car was king.

A not so subtle dig.....

I would like to point out, LOL.......

That Loblaws finances and market share went in the toilet almost precisely the year after they consolidated their headquarters in Brampton.

Sometimes architecture doesn't solve all your problems....

Like that fact that some senior staff refused to relocate or commute!

P.S. I think their best store design was Dupont, one I have never seen replicated.

2000th post

I
P.S. I think their best store design was Dupont, one I have never seen replicated.

I think that it was built before they went with the modern glass aesthetic seen at the St. Clair West store. The Dupont store and the Humbercrest Market store have both have a similar look of two-storey brick facades with large windows. They're reserved, but attractive with a sort of "turn of the century warehouse" aesthetic. They fit into their respective streetscapes quite well, unlike generic eyesores like the Annex Metro.

The Humbercrest Market Loblaws (just west of Dundas and Scarlett) is urban sensitive too: it has two entrances right next to the sidewalk thereby meeting the street quite well, plus a flower section which opens up to the sidewalk on warmer days (Dupont also has the latter characteristic). Parking is stacked, with the lower level having murals on the walls.

Yes, Loblaws has many progressive stores in Toronto.

Last edited:
idk bout the lakehurst one, but I think the Maple Leaf Garden one is on hold due to it's historic relevance. It would be nice to have a big Superstore nearby and keep the exterior

Certainly the last published plan that Loblaws had for the Bathshore location did retain the historic exterior. I would be very surprised if it disappeared from the plans - it's probably tied to density bonuses, possibly a section 37 benefit requirement reduction too?

Last edited:
Now that Loblaws is a go at MLG, i wonder if this is next. It sure needs a facelift.

Ive heard rumours from some very reliable sources that this building is in too bad of a condition to be saved, and that it will be rebuilt as a replica that will match the original building in every detail.

I can tell you that the city and Loblaws are currently in negotiations, so some more information should be coming soon!

I'd rather not see any addition of a tower and especially residential. Restore/rebuild as commercial loft space. If a condo tower need be to make it worthwhile than build it on the north side of the Gardiner.

Back