image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,289
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,284
Thanks for those shots. Piece by piece, the landscaping is coming together, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it all looks like in July 2017 when everything has had a little time to start growing in.

A mural on that wall would help a bit. I'm sure it will be tagged in no time.
agreed. I feel like this could have been better... Maybe something with a curve to it maybe a thick mirrored railing or framing on the edges... Anything other then a blank dull wall. I mean it's a nice blank wall... But....

Yeah they really could have done anything to that wall besides leaving it as hulking monolith. It just begs for a mural, but besides that it could have had some articulation or sculpted quality to it. As it it just seems like such an afterthought.

what's behind that wall?
The Redpath Sugar Refinery. I have no problem with the plant remaining, good jobs and all, but that wall is awful. I believe it's a blast wall. It's the same reason that the east face of the easternmost tower is as thick and windowless as it is.

Turning it into a living wall could be cool; or have water cascade down it (a la the original Theatre Park water feature concept).

The wall hides courtyard amenity space for the condos. There are no balconies that face Redpath. They have yet to finish landscaping.
At the water, the wall closes off the end of public park space, as the Pier 27 property pretty much ends at the buildings' south wall. Too bad the end of the wall was not identified as a local for public art. Maybe it can be for one of the final phases of the development.

It has potential to be a lot of interesting things: basketball half court, climbing wall (liability issues), a water feature that flows into Lake Ontario, a green/living wall, a projection wall for night time movies, a rubble wall that's nicely up-lighted at night, a giant mirrored wall to make it almost disappear, the blank wall could serve as a nice backdrop for a free-standing sculpture in front of it, etc...

It's too bad that this stretch of water walk has to end so to abruptly by that wall, there is no consideration on what happens at this terminus. It's like there is some anticipation that Redpath will be gone and that wall will be knocked down to continue the water walk at a later time.

Back