Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

I am not knowledgeable about computers or internet connections but I was at a talk Waterfront TO CEO Campbell gave recently giving an overview of the projects in this area. From conception the neighbourhoods in this area are taking internet connection speeds into consideration and the infrastructure is built accordingly. These speeds will be available to all businesses and residents in the area. I think the general idea is to leverage unlimited access to the fastest internet speeds available as a selling point for internet start-ups and major tech companies alike.

I am not knowledgeable about computers or internet connections but I was at a talk Waterfront TO CEO Campbell gave recently giving an overview of the projects in this area. From conception the neighbourhoods in this area are taking internet connection speeds into consideration and the infrastructure is built accordingly. These speeds will be available to all businesses and residents in the area. I think the general idea is to leverage unlimited access to the fastest internet speeds available as a selling point for internet start-ups and major tech companies alike.

When waterfront revitalization was envisioned back in 2001 (before the creation of Waterfront Toronto), one of the major selling points was the prospect of bringing the tech industry into the 416 (at the time, tech jobs were overwhelmingly opening in the 905). The idea was that the 905 would not be able to compete with a dedicated tech district located only blocks from the financial centre and union station.

I heard much the same thing -- I remember thinking we'll end up with a thousand little HFT firms gaming the TSX and some of the boffins building Assassin's Creed XXIV being moved over from the west end.

yes, but they were listing politicians and the actual developer of the site, by the looks of it. I'm sure some waterfront TO officials will be there as well.

I wouldn't get overly excited unless they announce a tenant as well ..

Haha come-on taal,.... if you built it, people will come:)

Honestly, that probably isn't far off from the truth ! Probably not how you expected me to reply ? ; - )

QWC is a good example of this they started with barely any firm leases in place, albeit there was interest, but once it got off the ground a lot more interest was generated.

But here's the issue, this would clearly be a risk, moreover the location here is sub-prime due to lack of transportation (at least today) so should tax papers take on the risk of this building ? I can see it working but only if they lower the rents they expect to take in (at least from day 1 when the area isn't very well built up), but then it doesn't necessarily pay for the expensive design.

Anyway if you see this going forward without anyone signed on but with tax paper dollars I think that's a bad sign to be honest ... and Mars II is a good indicator of why that shouldn't happen.

Now if a landlord has purchased the site and takes the risk ... with a bit of tax deferral thrown in ... then that's great news to everyone.

Back