Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

Boy, that is a huge step back from the original render. About the only thing innovating in that image is the non-existent waterfront LRT.

To those who were whining that the original design looked too similar to the Ryerson building, I hope you are satisfied now. Because why copy a great building when you can always just copy the same boring shite that you would find in a Mississauga business park.

Wow. Unbelievable. That is as bland and boring as they come.

The only good thing I can say about it is that they got rid of the staircase encroaching on the Sugar Beach promenade.

This design still has to get past the DRP, right?

The only good thing I can say about it is that they got rid of the staircase encroaching on the Sugar Beach promenade.

I believe so, yes. Does anyone have a list of all the DRP members? Time for a rapid email campaign.

I believe so, yes. Does anyone have a list of all the DRP members? Time for a rapid email campaign.

WT design review panel members
Bruce Kuwabara, Chair
Partner, Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects

Paul J. Bedford, Vice Chair
Urban Mentor and Retired Chief Planner, City of Toronto

George Baird
Partner, Baird Sampson Neuert Architects

Claude Cormier
Principal, Claude Cormier + Associés

Brigitte Shim
Partner, Shim-Sutcliffe Architects

Betsy Williamson
Partner, WILLIAMSONWILLIAMSON Inc.,

Jane Wolff
Associate Professor
Director, Master of Landscape Architecture Program, University of Toronto

Donald Schmitt
Architect and Principal, Diamond and Schmitt Architects Inc.

Pat Hanson
Founding Partner, gh3

Peter Busby
Managing Director, Perkins + Will, San Francisco

Alka Lukatela
Acting Director of Urban Design - City of Toronto

You might want to go beyond the WT DRP as well though, consider the web of relationships within the profession.

AoD

From the initial RFQ on page one of the thread:

It will also showcase integrated architecture and green building design to demonstrate global leadership in sustainability and design excellence, setting a precedent in terms of smart and sustainable architecture.

I think we can call it for what it turned out to be. This is what design excellence looked like - much less precedent setting architecture?

AoD

In other words, the same kind on nonsense that was said about all the other duds. At this rate, a freaking Tridel condo development may very well be the best building in the East Bayfront.

George Brown:
  • "Imagine coming to class every day in one of the city’s most architecturally striking spaces"
  • "The campus has raised the bar for excellence in architecture"

Corus Quay:
  • "Iconic building"
  • "Designed by internationally acclaimed architects, the award-winning building combines vibrant design, minimalism and efficiency"
  • "Setting a new standard for the waterfront"

image.jpg

I think I will go with Christopher Hume's assessment.

Corus Quay: Mistake by the lake
The new $150-million Corus building on Toronto's waterfront would have looked better almost anywhere else

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2010/10/01/corus_quay_mistake_by_the_lake.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
Ugh ugh ugh, it went from pretty neat but in need of refinement to Corus Quay 2.0, at best. Brutal.

The first one was brutal. This one is beyond boring and a little awkward but, the two sides at least work together and should fit very well into the developing district. It's a minor loss if a loss at all.

The first one was brutal. This one is beyond boring and a little awkward but, the two sides at least work together and should fit very well into the developing district. It's a minor loss if a loss at all.

Call me crazy, but I think we ought to aspire to better than "beyond boring", especially in an area that's supposed to be "fostering innovation" and whatnot.

Call me crazy, but I think we ought to aspire to better than "beyond boring", especially in an area that's supposed to be "fostering innovation" and whatnot.

That, and especially inspiring architecture is the stated goal of the RFQ. It was an expected outcome of the project and they did not deliver on that front.

AoD

That, and especially inspiring architecture is the stated goal of the RFQ. It was an expected outcome of the project and they did not deliver on that front.

AoD

Great point. Instead, we have a building that would be suitable(ish) for a suburban office park.

And we all know nothing attracts enterprising millennials and world beating innovators like the aura of working at a pharmaceutical company near the airport.

I'm not quite as offended by this as many here seem to be, but this building would be redeemed in my opinion by replacing all the gray with either, say, blue or yellow. Some colour would incite a bit of creativity and innovation, I'd hope.

What about a different architect? Their last proposal was just a blatant rip-off of the Snohetta building at Ryerson. It looks like they took the criticism and were just like "f*ck it".

Im most upset about the street-deadening facade on the north side. Not a ripple, a kink or a corner or setback to rest your eye on... Not exactly the kind of streetscape people will want to spend any time in.

Personally I think it still encroaches way too much into the Sugar Beach area; it looks to hide the beach. :(

I think both Corus and George Brown buildings were mistakes in that prime area to begin with - I've mentioned this compared to Chicago's waterfront usage - but this is tripling down on the facepalm. :(

Back