Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

So the garbage building is going to have a garbage ground floor...Big surprise...

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,779
While it certainly isn't an architectural gem, I don't see anything inherently awful about the ground floor. It looks like it is largely vision glass, has double height ceilings, retail frontage (hopefully not a bank/nail salon/subway, (insert other standard Toronto condo retail)...), and from earlier photos has a (relatively) interesting dimpled precast framing the space. Is it great? No. But I would gladly take this over many other recent ground floors we've seen go in around the city.

Taken from last week:
DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

And a few days ago:
DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 1,514
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 1,531
  • DSC_0359.jpg
    DSC_0359.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 1,488
  • DSC_0361.jpg
    DSC_0361.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 1,522
While it certainly isn't an architectural gem, I don't see anything inherently awful about the ground floor. It looks like it is largely vision glass, has double height ceilings, retail frontage (hopefully not a bank/nail salon/subway, (insert other standard Toronto condo retail)...), and from earlier photos has a (relatively) interesting dimpled precast framing the space. Is it great? No. But I would gladly take this over many other recent ground floors we've seen go in around the city.

It's just really boring and commonplace with a fair amount of spandrel too.

I think the east facade and entrance are fine- simple and tasteful. The rest of the building is more on par with 300 Front aesthetically, the bottom line and economy prevail. A shame too considering its prominent location behind a historical building- people, particularly visitors, tend to look up and around in this area.

I think what bugs me most about this building is the name. "Velocity" would imply some sort of action, movement or excitement... this building has none of that.

I think the east facade and entrance are fine- simple and tasteful. The rest of the building is more on par with 300 Front aesthetically, the bottom line and economy prevail. A shame too considering its prominent location behind a historical building- people, particularly visitors, tend to look up and around in this area.

Yeah, it's odd. The best side of the building is facing Victoria and not the square. I'm hoping they cover it up with static ads or something, that would be an improvement.

It just gets better and better. A monstrous elevator overrun most likely to be covered by pink stucco surrounded by fenced in cooling towers and a diesel generator.

Back