Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Ouch. Slightly off topic for a moment, those demolition photos bring back painful memories as that was probably the coolest theatre I ever worked at and one of the best to see a movie in. Uptown should have been protected, much of the original interior walls, doomed ceiling and proscenium around the stage were still intact - much of it hidden, but intact. Like the Imperial Six (aka Pantages, now The Cannon Theatre), effort was made to saving much of the interior architecture when the theatre was multiplexed in the early 1970's by covering ("modernizing") walls behind drywall and/or acoustical panels. The same consideration was given to Uptown when it was split up. Both theatres (and the Elgin Wintergarden Theatres) were designed by legendary theatre architect Thomas Lamb.

One example of what survived the multiplexing at Uptown, hidden behind the curtains & screen in Uptown #1. These were taken during the THX upgrade in 1993

I agree with you. The Uptown was a great theatre - I definitely miss it. One of the best places to see a movie in the city.

It's too bad almost all of the great old cinemas/theatres in the city are being shut down in favour of megaplexes we're getting these days.

I've just never seen them put in supports before digging before.
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen that type of support plowed into the ground before digging commenced. Might this have something to do with a subway line being so close to the site? I dunno.

Are we looking at supports there, or just a pile-driving implement up close?

I'm still a bit fuzzy on how the process works, but isn't the first thing that's done on any such project a bunch of pile-driving, to keep the sides of the site from caving in as they go down?

I thought that was a fairly established way that digs start for condos. Pile driving I-Beams down to support the walls of the excavation site. Zip and Liberty Towers are at the same stage right now, I'm not sure which of the 2 has the hole and which is getting the site supports hammered into position. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the construction of Uptown and Blu with both buildings going up neck a neck right beside each other. It's going to be a race to see who will have their crane first.

^ My understanding of Uptown and Blu is that some of the subcontracting for excavation will be shared and coordinated between the two projects.

Stopped by the sales office this afternoon. The salesperson said they were 75% sold. (I'm pretty sure that's what he told me a year ago.)

I don't think it's on here, so, for the record here's some pics of the model followed by the shared construction site with Crystal Blu taken today.

upmodel1.jpg

upmodel2.jpg

upmodel3.jpg

upmodel4.jpg

upmodel5.jpg

upmodel6.jpg

upsite2.jpg

upsite1.jpg

Even though it is a Pemberton building designed by a non-architect, this is one of the most exciting buildings going up in the city. That sleek Gotham ziggurat form is hard to mess up and they've resisted the temptation to add silly gargoyles, hats and frilly ornamentation wherever possible.

I agree. The proportions are just right, to my eye at least. Even if the materials suck it should look decent.

It's a gamble in my opinion. If the materials are OK it'll look fine, but if not, then this has the potential to be an outragous eyesore. We'll find out in 2010 what exactly we'll get.

Yeah, it is a gamble. The building could "blend" in so well it might vanish. If they wanted Art Deco styling, they should have gone all out. I doubt it would have been a budget killer.

I like it, always have. The model makes it look a little lopsided on the east side though. But I agree, it is indeed a refreshing change from the glassy highrises popping up everywhere (some of which I like also) and I like the roof treatment. Now we just need to be patient for two years to see how it really turns out compared to the renderings (which sucked) and the sales office model.
Finally I think it will contrast well with Blu right next door, another project that I like. I'm excited to see the cranes operating next year so damn close together!

From what I understand the site is actually 80% sold, not 75...
As well, Crystal Blu and The Uptown are sharing the excavation as previously mentioned is perfectly correct...

anyone know what the white part of the podium will be? right now from the model it seems to just be a wall...

Back