Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Uptown didnt have a full model suite, but they did have a mock up of the kitchen and bathroom, which is what is important for visualizing a condo. A room is a box. People want to see the finishes. Other than that, one model suite is only good at selling THAT particular suite. Finishes is what is important to show, and the Uptown did show that.

I think CrystalBlu sold better because it was cheaper, at the same location, and had less units required to "sell out".

In terms of views - because both CrystalMeth and Uptown are point towers, many of the suites in each building will be corner units with multiple exposures. Sure there will be some windows a little too close to others, but there will also be views between surrounding buildings., and that's what urban views are all about anyway. I don't think that anyone moving into these two buildings are banking on sweeping vistas of the lake or rolling countryside - they are buying into an uber-urban environment, and the views should be rather exciting.

And it should be very healthy for the binocular and telescope industry.

It's called Manhattan Views - they can be pretty interesting - views through little corridors between other towers and as mentioned in the post above - most of Blu's units are corner suites - the tower is also positioned between the two manulife towers - so the west exposure will be protected both now and in the future.

^^ dt toronto geek,

I realize what you are saying, but I was actually asking in general why CrystalBlu did so well, not in comparison to its Uptown neighbour as you must have read my question. (Understandably.)

I guess the main reason, to answer my own question, is just that in that particular area there is still high demand, and CrystalBlu was the best proposal in the area to suit people's needs.

Sorry for not being clearer, but those were my observations as to why Blu sold so quickly. For those interested in buying/investing in that area, a comparison has to be made between the two projects given their proximity, sizable gap in price per square foot, facilities, suite designs, suite materials etc. and be sure that most any savvy buyer/investor scoped out both projects before buying into one or the other. Blu sold quicker with considerably few suites than Uptown too.

.. took these a few years ago when I lived nearby (used to see the occasional movie at the "Backstage" here).

Uptown.jpg

Uptown1.jpg

Uptown2.jpg

Ouch. Slightly off topic for a moment, those demolition photos bring back painful memories as that was probably the coolest theatre I ever worked at and one of the best to see a movie in. Uptown should have been protected, much of the original interior walls, doomed ceiling and proscenium around the stage were still intact - much of it hidden, but intact. Like the Imperial Six (aka Pantages, now The Cannon Theatre), effort was made to saving much of the interior architecture when the theatre was multiplexed in the early 1970's by covering ("modernizing") walls behind drywall and/or acoustical panels. The same consideration was given to Uptown when it was split up. Both theatres (and the Elgin Wintergarden Theatres) were designed by legendary theatre architect Thomas Lamb.

One example of what survived the multiplexing at Uptown, hidden behind the curtains & screen in Uptown #1 (the original balcony) and a couple of auditorium reno. photos. The theatre was lit brightly due to plaster & painting repairs so it looks a little unpleasant under the harsh light conditions. These were taken during the THX upgrade in 1993

cinema1reno-4.jpg

cinema1reno-7.jpg

cinema1reno-8.jpg

cinema1reno-11.jpg

cinema1reno-19.jpg

That's what the pictures illustrate. They're ready to go down - uh - as in the excavation process.

Zing!

Back