Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Many out of town people coming to the subway from Bay St. enter by the east end automatic entrance and have no idea that the collector booths are at the south side of the middle of the mezzanine, so they end up looking confused and buying tokens. I've seen others coming from the west end of the moat looking for the subway entrance, walking all the way around the glass "box" to the north side turnstiles, only to find that the booth there isn't staffed, and that they have to walk all the way back around to the south side. They need to put up more signage directing people to the main entrance side with the staffed booths.

Many out of town people coming to the subway from Bay St. enter by the east end automatic entrance and have no idea that the collector booths are at the south side of the middle of the mezzanine, so they end up looking confused and buying tokens. I've seen others coming from the west end of the moat looking for the subway entrance, walking all the way around the glass "box" to the north side turnstiles, only to find that the booth there isn't staffed, and that they have to walk all the way back around to the south side. They need to put up more signage directing people to the main entrance side with the staffed booths.

This is a good idea but I suspect that TTC staff do not read UT. Have you (will you) send it to the TTC?

This is a good idea but I suspect that TTC staff do not read UT. Have you (will you) send it to the TTC?

I'll send off an email to the TTC with this suggestion. There is a sign in the Brookfield Place rotunda for "Alternate route for Presto users", but there should be something similar for those who want to buy fares and enter the subway.

Here's some great work. Over the station name AND right on top of the advertising wrap.

Attachments

• 20150914_132628.jpg
    20150914_132628.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 707
Any clue when signage will be finalized?
Missing:
1. To both platforms, facing turnstiles at automatic entrance near Brookfield.
2. To Brookfield Place, on north side of (mezzanine) main entrance.
3. To University NB, inside main entrance, at escalators to Yonge NB.
4. To collectors, from east and north side of mezzanine/main entrance area
...Shall we compile a list here? I can forward to TTC as well ...

Not sure if this was already posted on the forum, but I think this is a bold idea worth exploring. How physically separating the Yonge Subway from the University-Spadina and have the two lines meet at Union. This should result in Union Station being a stacked subway station similar to St George. I came across this proposal, having read through Ed Levy's publication on "Rapid Transit in Toronto" Scroll down to Chapter 19: An out-of-the-box network proposition

Here is the sample publication
http://levyrapidtransit.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013-03-14-outside-web.pdf

I look forward to hearing everyone's take on this idea

Except the intent for that arrangement is basically to lay the groundwork for the DRL - and I think the EA process for that had pretty much counted out such an alignment. Besides, given the current arrangement of the station they have to completely rebuilt what had just been rebuilt.

I think we should not cram everything at Union.

AoD

I hope this is a dumb question but they aren't leaving the north wall like this are they? Normally I would think 100% that its unfinished but they're installed those union signs so that has been second guessing.
IMG_20160213_144602.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160213_144602.jpg
    IMG_20160213_144602.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,278
I wish people would be more open to the beauty of the artwork in Union. This isn't a dig at you in particular, dowlingm... More at the general feeling towards the installation.

I love the way it looks and I love that it reflects a bit of the reality we see everyday, but choose to ignore (as is apparent, with the discomfort surrounding the sketches). I'm so glad we have something like this on the network, as it's unlike anything of the other pieces, and the way some people have complained about it, it may be the last time we get anything similar. It makes me happy that it's prominently placed.

Those exposed columns on the other hand. Seems such a shame that they would spend so much on the revitalization and take an 'aesthetic break' there. Looks awful.

less depressing than the art though

At least it got colours, and the sketches makes up a relatively small portion of the work. The exposed columns is par TTC aesthetics - looking at this and then the white elephant that is Downsview Park.

Having said all that, the key weakness of the station remains functional - particularly crossflow during rush. It's a mess.

AoD

I hope this is a dumb question but they aren't leaving the north wall like this are they? Normally I would think 100% that its unfinished but they're installed those union signs so that has been second guessing. View attachment 68464

I don't mind it. If the TTC tried to do some kind of "design" over the raw wall, it would take years to complete and could end up looking hideous. This is at least clean, functional and inoffensive.

I don't mind it. If the TTC tried to do some kind of "design" over the raw wall, it would take years to complete and could end up looking hideous. This is at least clean, functional and inoffensive.

It totally doesn't jive with the rest of the station though. With such a huge project like that, leaving 1 wall in the entire station "unfinished" just looks odd. I don't mind it on Sheppard because at least it's consistent across the entire station(s).

Back