Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Oh and also... while I am in a ranting kind of mood:
What is going on in the VIA departures area. Jesus christ. If you look at Katia Osokine's picture below you'll see that currently travelers to Toronto Union have been getting the full "eastern-bloc" treatment. Only in Toronto is this an acceptable standard. I can only imagine what a horrific experience it must be waiting for a train these days... I've seen more welcoming prisons. I just can't believe this area is open to the public.

Agreed. Active areas should not look like this. They should close part of the concourse--I have never seen VIA using every single gate/stairway/seating area at once--renovate it, and move on, with rolling closures.

The problem I see with this plan of action is that the trainshed roof (the refurbished part) is massively behind schedule and is now itself rumored to have been placed on hold until the overhead clearance issues have been sorted for GO electrification.[/QUOTE said:
Did you know that "trainshed" is an anagram of "tarnished"?

Isn't that the old "MEGA" exit/entrance from Union Station to Union Subway station. Looks like the 6 or 8 doors would fit in that width.

Yes, this is the old Union-TTC entrance and I doubt was original. It will presumably be fixed up properly when this part of the project is finished - they are still working on external stonework on the east side of the Union facade.

Is there a target completion date for the Union Station rebuild? I know it's a large, complex project, but it seems to have been dragging on for a long time with no end in sight. Also, will the current reno accommodate the wires for Go electrification, or will the shed need to be re-renovated?

Is there a target completion date for the Union Station rebuild? I know it's a large, complex project, but it seems to have been dragging on for a long time with no end in sight. Also, will the current reno accommodate the wires for Go electrification, or will the shed need to be re-renovated?

Does never count as a target? I keed I keed!

I've heard that the lower level of the York concourse has been delayed on account of water penetration and persistent leaks. It seems like they are having trouble with the expansion joints in the trackbed slab... To be honest instead of taking remedial action and doing waterproofing work, it sounds like the opening date has now just been pushed back until the trainshed roof is done. The problem I see with this plan of action is that the trainshed roof (the refurbished part) is massively behind schedule and is now itself rumored to have been placed on hold until the overhead clearance issues have been sorted for GO electrification.

Personally, given all the delays I think it will open prior to the restoration of the trainshed roof. The way I look at it, they cannot wait years to open the lower York Concourse when the Bay Street Concourse will finish next year.

Have they considered putting a temporary roof over the train shed while they sort out the issues? Does anyone have a 30000 Square Meter tarp with a hose bib attached for drainage?

I'll bite and play the UrbanToronto Union "Reno Bingo"

My guess is July 1st, 2024 for all construction at Union to finally settle down (all lower level spaces rented out, all catenary wired through, etc). Bookmark this post,

Personally, given all the delays I think it will open prior to the restoration of the trainshed roof. The way I look at it, they cannot wait years to open the lower York Concourse when the Bay Street Concourse will finish next year.

Have they considered putting a temporary roof over the train shed while they sort out the issues? Does anyone have a 30000 Square Meter tarp with a hose bib attached for drainage?
I would bet if there were a large wave of potential tenants they would find a solution to the trickle of water above....but I suspect the tenants are more of trickle so there is less pressure to find a solution.

It will be interesting to see whether having the trainshed up will resolve the issue - the shed may have drainage, but at the end of the day it is still partially open to the elements.

AoD

It will be interesting to see whether having the trainshed up will resolve the issue - the shed may have drainage, but at the end of the day it is still partially open to the elements.

AoD
They seem to have the same problem under the Parliament, Lower Sherbourne and Lower Jarvis bridges that GO supposedly fixed a couple of years ago - the expansion joints are leaking more and more.

They seem to have the same problem under the Parliament, Lower Sherbourne and Lower Jarvis bridges that GO supposedly fixed a couple of years ago - the expansion joints are leaking more and more.

Not like they shouldn't have anticipated this issue going in with Union - they still haven't managed to fix the teamway over the years.

AoD

AoD

I doubt it will have much effect. Look at the window over the departures ramp which was suffering from severe water damages. If I recall, there was also minor water penetration into the VIA concourse as well. This all took place when the train shed was in place.

I will say this though, they are restoring the train shed and taking down alot of interior finishes so they may be able to waterproof the station a tad better. Short of taking off all the exterior limestone there is only so much you can do however. It is not like taking the siding off a house and spraying it with a waterproof membrane.

Many have been asking about opening dates for the retail areas of Union Station.

An article in Today's Star may have provided a clue.

The article is on the new Sherway Gardens location of Union Chicken.

But concludes with an opening date for Union Chicken @ Union Station.

Union Chicken is slated to go into the York Promenade area.

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_w...ds-and-cheery-service-to-sherway-gardens.html

Meanwhile, a second Union Chicken location is planned for Union Station in December.

Many have been asking about opening dates for the retail areas of Union Station.

An article in Today's Star may have provided a clue.

The article is on the new Sherway Gardens location of Union Chicken.

But concludes with an opening date for Union Chicken @ Union Station.

Union Chicken is slated to go into the York Promenade area.

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_w...ds-and-cheery-service-to-sherway-gardens.html

Meanwhile, a second Union Chicken location is planned for Union Station in December.

If true, pushed back again...latest word was this summer for more retail/food opening. Before that they said this spring, last fall, last summer...

Back