Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I was at Union today and they have tidied up the west end of the east Moat and there was a sign propped up against a wall reading Temporary Stairs, UP Express, VIA. It leads me to think they are about to open up that half of the Moat and start excavating the western part. Not sure if they have fixed the area inside Union enough to allow access but I guess we will see.

Is it this stairs?

I can see them through the hoarding.

A supplement to the Leather Shop Bypass.

IMG_2077.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2077.JPG
    IMG_2077.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 523
Is it this stairs?

I can see them through the hoarding.

A supplement to the Leather Shop Bypass.
Yes, I assume so. The sign I saw yesterday was propped against the bottom of the stairs where all the wire is coiled up. (I assume because it will soon (?) be put up in that area.) UPDATE. Today, Thursday, the sign is attached to wall facing TTC exit, looks as though this exit and stairs will soon be open. I suspect NOT the doors into Union opposite but we will see.

Last edited:
Yes, I assume so. The sign I saw yesterday was propped against the bottom of the stairs where all the wire is coiled up. (I assume because it will soon (?) be put up in that area.)

Any idea of when this route will open and the last of the bay concourse will close?

Any idea of when this route will open and the last of the bay concourse will close?
Your guess is as good as mine but it looks to me as though AT LEAST the exterior stairs etc at west end of east Moat will be open very soon. No idea about the level entrance to Union but I suspect it will not be ready as fast. I think the last of GO Bay concourse will close very soon so they can finish last of the excavation inside and excavate the exterior steps.

This has opened now.Both stairs lead into the main corridor in the station.
Yes, there are now the two external staircases you see in photos above (one concrete - permanent - and one metal - temporary) PLUS you can also enter the new Bay Concourse area (through one of the doors in the photos and go up new (concrete) stairs there too. I bet it won't be long before the eastern part of the Bay moat will be closed and excavated - things are moving along at a good pace. (Ceiling in Great Hall now 95% done (only 3 or 4 panels at west end to do, and they are partly covered by the white tarps so may need to wait until that is removed?)

Took some pictures today of the new path between Union TTC and Union proper. It's great to finally have the TTC connected to the main station with level access--though only technically, since you then have to take a flight of stairs up within the station. Still, a nice preview of things to come!

Inside Union, looking into the "leather shop bypass"; the two existing doors are on the left, with the two new routes on the right beside them:
1.JPG

The new door to the temporary stairs:
2.JPG

The interior stairs:
3.JPG

Taken at the bottom of the stairs in the above pic, showing level access (!) between the train station and the TTC:
4.JPG

View back at Union from outside. Existing route far right, temporary stairs middle, level access (to interior stairs) left:
5.JPG

Progress!

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 459
How's the newly expanded Leather Shop Bypass performing at peak period?

I went through it this morning. Couldn't gauge its performance because, well, they re-closed it. It' was blocked off with barriers and red tape. Didn't see anything obvious.

One thing I did notice: coming from the York Concourse and going east through the VIA Arrivals Concourse, people slowed in a bottleneck where it splits between the existing stairs/ramp into the moat, and the still-open pathway through the Bay Concourse. While I'd imagine the Leather Shop Bypass would perform great when it's open, you still have the pinchpoint at the doorway. It's only so wide. It would only get worse when they close off the remaining piece of the Bay Concourse path.

Today they have started to block off the new (but temporary) concrete steps at east end of east moat with a wooden construction fence. I assume they are going to start demolition. of these stairs. (This may explain why the western 'flat' entrances to Union from TTC in the east moat are blocked off today with red caution tape?) See Post 3823 just above.)

Last edited:

Back