Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

In totally different news...anyone know when the (hopefully temporary) street fixtures on the Front St plaza will be replaced with the real deal? Front looks great on the whole, but the 'no stopping' and other signs held in place with bright orange sandbags are pretty ugly, as are the wooden poles still at corner of York. I k ow this kind of thing isn't Toronto's strong suit but one hopes on such a signature project there will be an effort to sweat the small stuff.

In totally different news...anyone know when the (hopefully temporary) street fixtures on the Front St plaza will be replaced with the real deal? Front looks great on the whole, but the 'no stopping' and other signs held in place with bright orange sandbags are pretty ugly, as are the wooden poles still at corner of York. I k ow this kind of thing isn't Toronto's strong suit but one hopes on such a signature project there will be an effort to sweat the small stuff.
It's a very good point, not just on that specific, but the project as a whole. One wonders how many decisions are being affected by the contractor rather than the City itself, as that's the only rationale (contractor judgement) that seems to be applied to a number of aspects, not least the detour maze conundrum on the ground floor of Union.

Does the City even have input on matters affecting the public at this point in time? Or for that matter, how much input do Metrolinx and VIA have? I suspect the Platform 3 route (Bus Terminal to UPX direct) was a GO initiative, not a City one.

One wonders how many decisions are being affected by the contractor rather than the City itself, as that's the only rationale (contractor judgement) that seems to be applied to a number of aspects, not least the detour maze conundrum on the ground floor of Union.

Does the City even have input on matters affecting the public at this point in time? Or for that matter, how much input do Metrolinx and VIA have? I suspect the Platform 3 route (Bus Terminal to UPX direct) was a GO initiative, not a City one.
I have new information. Just spent an hour at Union poking around, asking questions, and weighing possibilities.

I was mostly wrong on putting everything at the contractor's doing as per detours and mayhem. VIA very affected by the mayhem and disoriented and flat-out lost passengers today compared to GO passengers, as many VIA ones are doing a 'one-off', not knowing anything about Union. You could plainly see them, desperate to find their track, and scared of being late to do it and miss their trains.

I watched this for some time, some asked me, the temp info alcove unmanned, and the main info desk half way down the Great Hall. The lack of clear signage is a very real problem. I saw one floor diagram posted on a door, and no indications next to it as to which way is N, S, E or W.

So I asked someone who'd know about this...he wants the public to know, and I'm not going to reveal position, let alone identity, but I quote, in response to my asking whose responsibility it is for the sign mess: "We've been trying to post better directions ourselves, it's not the station staff, the City or the contractor, it's VIA and Metrolinx, and to a lesser extent, TTC, and they won't let us. It's a disaster, and we see it every day". And then he/she pointed out the most glaring aspect: "And to show you how badly thought out this is, you'll notice there are *in event of emergency" signs pointing out the direction to exit". They should be big, bold and easy to see: "In emergency, this way out!" This employee thinks everyone should phone in their complaints to get action, as "no-one listens to staff".

I'm told that Tory was through there a few days back, and shown the problems. There is as yet no sign of action. Person to whom I spoke states: "We just direct them outside the building if they're lost. If they got lost with the bad signage once, they'll get lost again, and even more disoriented". I think he/she is right! Winter time might be really rough...

I took the stairs up to Platform 3 from the Bay St concourse steps. No sign indicating it's a direct route to UPX, let alone Skywalk. It just shows "to GO bus platforms". I asked a GO safety officer about that, his answer: "There's too much traffic for Platform 3 to handle if we send it all that way". ???

Exiting platform 3 onto the Skywalk is like something out of the Wizard of Oz. Looking back at the doors you just went through, there's only the most modest of signs indication it's Track 3, but a more prominent sign stating: (gist) "Danger, do not enter until your train platform has come up on the notice board". lol...and sign on the door to continue on the Skywalk: "Private Property...No x, x, x, x, or bicycles". Bicycles are allowed on UPX outside of peak. Someone's not thinking...

I don't think it has been mentioned on here yet, but Canderel was chosen to be the property management team for the new retail operations.

I noticed a crew inspecting the Front Street facade the other day and was wondering if it had anything to do with the green discolouration clearly visible. Is this oxidation?
union1.jpg
union2.jpg

Attachments

• union1.jpg
    union1.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 1,550
  • union2.jpg
    union2.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 1,554
I noticed a crew inspecting the Front Street facade the other day and was wondering if it had anything to do with the green discolouration clearly visible. Is this oxidation?
There is copper 'trim' on the station. The green is verdigris - essentially copper carbonate. It is why copper roofs eventually turn 'green'.

There is copper 'trim' on the station. The green is verdigris - essentially copper carbonate. It is why copper roofs eventually turn 'green'.

I am quite surprised they did not replace all the copper elements on the facade with new copper.

With that said, copper eventually turns green. Moss also accumulates and looks green.

More than likely this is copper oxidation and is unavoidable.

I am quite surprised they did not replace all the copper elements on the facade with new copper.

With that said, copper eventually turns green. Moss also accumulates and looks green.

More than likely this is copper oxidation and is unavoidable.
They did install completely new copper roofs and seem to have put new copper flashing on west wing and I guess they are also doing this on the east wing so it IS rather odd they did not replace any old copper flashing over the 'portico'. too. Maybe they have not finished yet?? (Though eventually new copper will oxidise anyway.)

Not to worry:
[REMOVING COPPER/BRONZE STAINS FROM LIMESTONE AND MARBLE

THE CLEANING OR REMOVAL OF STAINS FROM STONE MAY INVOLVE THE USE
OF LIQUIDS, DETERGENTS OR SOLVENTS WHICH MAY RUN OFF ON ADJACENT
MATERIAL, DISCOLOR THE MASONRY OR DRIVE THE STAINS DEEPER INTO THE
POROUS STONE. USE THE PRODUCTS AND TECHNIQUES DESCRIBED HERE ONLY
FOR THE COMBINATIONS OF DIRT/STAIN AND STONE SPECIFIED.

PART 1---GENERAL

1.01 SUMMARY

A. This procedure includes guidance on removing copper and
bronze stains from limestone and marble. Several methods
are described.]
[...]
http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/111850

It's essential they do the job correctly, but the outcome looks positive.

For those worried about the lighting in Great Hall:

Request for Quotation - Prequalification
ecblank.gif
Call number: 3907-16-3141
Commodity:
Goods and Services, Electrical Supplies
Description:
Toronto Union Station Great Hall Chandelier Fabrication,65 Front Street West, Toronto.
The purpose of this Request To Pre-Qualify is to solicit information about your firm’s previous performance and ability to undertake custom luminaire fabrication, specifically regarding Toronto Union Station Great Hall Chandelier Fabrication,65 Front Street West, Toronto.
Issue date: October 6, 2016
ecblank.gif
Closing date: October 20, 2016
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:
Viewing Copy
pdf.gif
3907-16-3141-Viewing Copy.pdf (627 Kbytes) - Posted on 10/06/2016 04:08:19 PM
The addenda and/or other files listed above are included with the Call Document purchase price but must be downloaded as separate documents. To view the document, click on its filename. To save it to your workstation, right-click on the document's filename,then select "Save Target As..." (or "Save Link As...").

Buyer: Maharaj-Thevathasan, Leana
ecblank.gif
Phone number: 416-397-5190
Email: lmahara@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif
Client Division: Real Estate Services
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Security deposit: No
Non-refundable document fee: $50.00 + 6.50 HST = $56.50

EDIT: THIS TENDER CALL HAS BEEN CANCELLED (20 October 2016).

Last edited:
For those worried about the lighting in Great Hall:
I see good and bad news in there. Good that they call for three, bad that they're being incredibly blinkered on LEDs. I have to wonder if someone isn't pulling strings on that. Do they want the best lighting or not? They have to be prepared to be surprised by unorthodox results, which probably won't be LEDs, at least was we know them.

a)
Fabricate three (3) decorative chandeliers (a
nticipated to be of identical design)
consisting of LED luminaires (direct, indirect and decorative globe elements) providing
specific lighting characteristics and appearan
ce. Ensure that chandeliers meet all
regulatory requirements including cUL, CSA and CEC mandates as applicable.
I'd agree with the following on *one condition*! The type of lighting not be disclosed, and the judges not know. Is this to be an objective competition or not?
b)

Provide a full-size energizable prototype of at least a segment of the chandelier for
evaluation by the City and the Lighting Desi
gner at the Respondent’s facility or other
location mutually agreeable to the Respo
ndent, the City and the Lighting Designer.
d)

These aren't giant flashlights, or for emergency lighting where the batteries must last the longest, these are for *light quality*!

Getting back to buying your wife plastic clothes, since they last longer and wash easily. (Wipes clean with a damp cloth) And nothing fancy for dinner, hear? It must be nutritious like oatmeal.

Oh, it's strictly specified -- as in "must be LED"?

Personally... I'm fine with LED, as long as done properly.

I've seen amazing LED retrofits that respected the premises...
and I've seen cheapy-fluorescent-light-looking crap too...

Even mere CRI 90 LEDs should be far better than the harsh HID chandelier currently in use today, but why stop there... CRI 95+ or bust.

Longer comment: I hope the Light Designer is saavy. Hopefully no cheaping out on low bidder LED quality. They better damn well stick far above CRI 90 and also dial-down harsh dots of 'point-source' lights. Say, CRI 95-ish range or better, which is more expensive. The good news is that most of Union main lobby consists mostly of warm-toned stones; which seems to behave very well with modern CRI ~95 LED's at least from what I've seen. Many CRI ~95 still has minor blue-peaking and cyan-valleying effects that creates color distortions visible to a few individuals, though, personally, I don't notice the difference whenever LED's are CRI 90 and up. So let's do CRI 95 to be safe. I think warm-light CRI 95 could actually work well with the slightly-warmish stone/floor architecture color tones at Union, Grand Hall IMHO. Low-bidders will often use CRI in the 80 range. That's where I have a problem with, things start to look pale and vaguely fluorescent-fixture-looking. Anyway, I'll just hope that they don't use low-bidder LED quality, and avoid choosing the wrong intensity/color temp/blinding dots of point source lights/etc. And preferably standardized (such as Edison screw bulbs) for easy switching to other future light technologies (as stevetoronto said).

Oh, it's strictly specified -- as in "must be LED"?

Personally... I'm fine with LED, as long as done properly.
The "Request To Pre-Qualify" clearly states "LEDs". The presumption is astounding, not least that some other source feeding fibre-optics couldn't be far more stunning and *tantalizing* to the eyes, as well as functional. No more oil paintings folks, just photographs, and even there, no saturation or warm tones. Just harsh edges and details.

It sounds like they've put a Sergeant-Major in charge of the ballet...

The problems with LED lighting are going to make those with tube fluorescents look meek in comparison. No shortage of excellent articles on-line on the matter. LEDs are excellent...for warning lights, flashlights and emergency beacons and exciting the fibres for communication purposes. They're even being shunned as panel array indicators, they're so harsh and distracting.

It's not like there aren't other ways of doing it:

At 140 lumens/watt, these pill-sized plasma light bulbs by Luxim are a pretty awesome contender for "light of the future". They are almost 10 times more efficient than traditional incandescent light bulbs, twice as efficient as current high-end LEDs, and they also beat CFLs, most of which are around 50-80 lumens/watt. Only the prototype 300 lumens/watt nanocrystal-coated LEDs can hold a candle to them.

And the light from Luxim's LIFI bulb is not ugly either: color rendering index (CRI) is 91. Lifetime for a bulb is estimated at 20,000 hours, and a relatively large amount of power can be pumped through them, allowing a tiny bulb to produce 30,000+ lumens (not something LEDs can do).
luxim-bulb-001.jpg

An RF (radio-frequency) signal is generated by the solid-state power amplifier and is guided into an electric field about the bulb. The high concentration of energy in the electric field vaporizes the contents of the bulb to a plasma state at the bulb's center; this controlled plasma generates an intense source of light.
Luxim seems to want to use them in projectors, but since even a tiny light bulb can produce as much light as a street lamp, sky seems to be the limit if cost can be brought down.

luxim-bulb-002.jpg

luxim-bulb-003.jpg

luxim-bulb-004.jpg

If you like this article, you can follow me on Twitter (@Michael_GR) and Stumbleupon (THMike). Thanks.
See also: LED vs. CFL: Life-Cycle Study Shows a Close Race, but LED Likely to Take the Lead
::Luxim, ::Tiny Pill-Sized Plasma Bulb is Brighter Than Streetlight, ::Inventors Create Pill-Sized Bulb That's Brighter Than a Street Lamp
http://www.treehugger.com/interior-design/luxim-plasma-light-bulb-kicks-some-serious-led-butt.html

Last edited:
OR:
Just when LED light bulbs seemed to be gaining traction, along comes a technology that researchers insinuate could trump them: Plastic.

Meet the Fipel - the field-induced polymer electroluminescent light source. According to physicists at Wake Forest University in North Carolina and Trinity College, Dublin, a Fipel requires less energy than a fluorescent bulb does, the BBC reports.

Thus, a Fipel would also be more energy efficient than an LED bulb, since LEDs and fluorescents require about the same amount of electricity. As I wrote last week, LED vendors are struggling in the vast market for commercial office lighting , where buyers are not willing to pay the higher price that manufacturers charge for LEDs, even though LEDs last longer and have other advantages.

The BBC story does not mention any prices for Fipels. But if Fipels represent a significant energy saving over fluorescents, that might induce buyers to spring for them.

Inventor David Carroll, a professor at Wake Forest, says a corporate partner will start producing them next year. Fipels use "three layers of white-emitting polymer that contain a small volume of nanomaterials that glow when electric current is passed through them," according to the BBC.

The Wake Forest team originally wrote about its developments in the journal Organic Lighting.

Bandwidth Analyzer Pack: Your ONE network monitoring and traffic analysis tool

SolarWinds® Bandwidth Analyzer Pack streamlines troubleshooting and consolidates the multiple tools to simplify detection, diagnosis,and resolution. Download the free, fully functional 30-day trial of SolarWinds® Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack now!

Downloads provided by SolarWinds
WARMING

The BBC explains that Fipel light is warmer than fluorescents. The story does not compare the light quality to LEDs' quality, which many people regard as superior to fluorescent and inferior to the warm but inefficient incandescent bulbs still common in homes.

Carroll notes that whereas "curly cue" fluorescent bulbs emit a harsh bluish light that can cause headaches, the light from his bulb accommodates the human eye because it "can match the solar spectrum perfectly."

That sounds potentially better than LED light quality.

Carroll claims at least four other advantages for Fipels over fluorescents:

• they're brighter
    • it's easy to adjust their tint
    • they do not contain environmentally hazardous mercury
    • they are malleable into different shapes
Their bendiness would threaten another emerging light technology: OLEDs, or organic light emitting diodes, which are natural materials that emit light in response to an electric current. They are supposed to transform lighting by allowing designers to build them into things like building fabric, support structures, furniture and fashion. Electronics makers also want to use them to create foldable phones, gadgets and TVs.

A DECADE AND COUNTING

But OLEDs "don't last very long and they're not very bright," Carroll claims. "There's a limit to how much brightness you can get out of them. If you run too much current through them they melt."

What about longevity compared to LEDs? Light emitting diodes are supposed to last for 25 years or longer (although LED bulb makers provide warranties of only about 7 years). There seems to be no hard figure for the life expectancy of a Fipel, but Carroll says he's had one working in his lab for about 10 years.

Of course, as LED bulb makers know, it's a long way from lab triumphs to market success. It's too early to tell whether people will flip for Fipels. At the least, Prof Carroll is putting pressure on LED companies to continue to improve and lower prices. That should help light the way to a more energy efficient future, regardless of which technology wins.

Photo: Wake Forest University via the BBC.

Watch for my second installment soon on the myth of LED energy savings.

More LEDS and OLEDS on SmartPlanet:

This post was originally published on Smartplanet.com
http://www.zdnet.com/article/goodbye-leds-hello-plastic-bulbs/

Back