Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Can you expand on the bit about the subway station connection? I am not sure exactly your question; but I can offer that the TTC will be accessed via an at-grade connection that will be located on the new Lower Concourse level underneath the East Wing. If you look closely at the pictures I posted as "East Wing" you will see orange outlines painted below the windows. These are the future doors to the TTC. In several places they have already begun boring/cutting the openings! :)

If the concourse level is a new basement, I'm assuming it's level with the subway and you'll just pass through the moat.

Not surprised about the Cockroaches but at the same time.. I wonder how far they have penetrated into the station. Who knows.. Union Station Cockroaches may be hitching a ride on the Canadian!
lol...it's just a bug. When you see thousands of them at once, then there's cause to cringe.

All of Toronto is covered, much of the planet is, it's just that there are concentrations in some areas. I used to have a studio at 363 Sorauren some thirty years ago, ex candy factory, molasses had seeped into the floorboards for half a century or more....pull up a carpet, and the floor would be liquid with them. A real hoity-toity condo now.

Ever traveled to a warmer climate? They fly. As to the featured one in tnarduzzi's excellent pics, it looks larger than what it is depending on how large the washer is next to it, but it probably hitchhiked in on a traveler coming through the station, and decided to stay. And breed...

Last edited:
Not quite.

Yes, the new lower level will be level with the subway (a shallow ramp is involved—ramps are shown with triangles in the plan below), but that level is being called the Bay Street Promenade.

The new Bay Concourse will be higher than it. Access to it will not be immediately south of the stairs. As you can see below, you'll need to proceed past several mall stores before you reach the stairs and escalators up to the Concourse.

UnionRetailLowerNov2015.jpg

There will be optional routes up to the Bay Concourse, but none that are more direct than walking past those stores if you're entering via the subway station doors. The second best option would be to enter via the Bay West Teamway, (just to the right of the black blotch at right, above), which will have stairs into the Concourse similar to the situation in the York East Teamway. There will be access to the Bay West Teamway from the Bay Street Promenade where the ADE shows above, and at the end of the southern east-west hall. There will also be outside access to the Bay West Teamway from the Front Street Moat.

Attachments

• UnionRetailLowerNov2015.jpg
    UnionRetailLowerNov2015.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 1,792
If the concourse level is a new basement, I'm assuming it's level with the subway and you'll just pass through the moat.

You have it. Exactly. The new lower-concourse "mall" within Union will be at grade with the TTC concourse, which is at grade with the RBC plaza concourse, which is at grade (or fully AODA accessible) to a significant amount of the PATH network.

EDIT. I was not aware of the ramps mentioned per @interchange42 post.

EDIT 2. For clarity's sake. The lower-concourse will be retail only. The upper-concourse will mainly transportation facilities (limited retail).

The new lower-concourse "mall" within Union will be at grade with the TTC concourse, which is at grade with the RBC plaza concourse, which is at grade (or fully AODA accessible) ...
Can anyone tell from knowledge of RBC Plaza and from the Bay Concourse schematic... what will eventually be the fastest no-stair access to street level from TTC? Where will the closest elevator be?

Can anyone tell from knowledge of RBC Plaza and from the Bay Concourse schematic... what will eventually be the fastest no-stair access to street level from TTC? Where will the closest elevator be?
Likely this one:
Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 7.29.23 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 7.29.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 7.29.23 PM.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,505
:)

Yes, I see it now -- can we reckon that will rise to the renovated East Wing ... and then perhaps one can head out the doors in the northeast corner of the Great Hall?
I am not sure yet... it certainly appears that way on the earlier plans...
Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 7.43.15 PM.png

And then again on the Osmington retail drawings (albeit now on the West side of the corridor).
1230-64066.jpeg
]

EDIT: On further examination unfortunately I believe I was mistaken. Of the two elevators beside one another I think the public elevator will only rise to the "teamway level" while the elevator in the service corridor will serve all three levels.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 7.43.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 7.43.15 PM.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 1,528
  • 1230-64066.jpeg
    1230-64066.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,539
Last edited:
AAAAAAGHGHHHH! I have seen only one in my life. And it was dead. I am not surprised there are some down there. When we finally blow up the planet with our nuclear bombs they will be what survives the holocaust.
Other than the roach, a fascinating photo tour! Thanks you!

That's an American cockroach, which is the largest species, though they aren't invasive in large numbers like the smaller roaches are. They live in the sewers so that's probably where that one came from. Had a home in Florida as a kid and you had to get used to them showing up every so often.

That's an American cockroach, which is the largest species, though they aren't invasive in large numbers like the smaller roaches are. They live in the sewers so that's probably where that one came from. Had a home in Florida as a kid and you had to get used to them showing up every so often.
Interesting info. That yellow pipe next to the roach is cast iron sewer pipe... (likely 6" diameter).

EDIT: @mdrejhon 200th! <<<<<<<<<

Last edited:

Back