Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

^Or VIA could just stop their EB trains in the corridor at Weston as well and let people coming from KW to transfer to the airport.

^Or VIA could just stop their EB trains in the corridor at Weston as well and let people coming from KW to transfer to the airport.

Bizarre. Taking GO or VIA to Malton and then either walking or TTC/MiWay/GO would be cheaper and faster - I have done both. Not sure how people miss the Malton option.

I'm sure VIA does not want to add another stop to the Sarnia milk run, but swapping the Malton stop with Weston could work.

One would hope that the new CTC that recently went into operation on the Weston Sub (and, for that matter, the fairly recent installations on the Richmond Hill, Barrie, and Uxbridge lines) will be PTC-compatible....but so far there is no outward indication of this.

- Paul

PTC has been installed on the Weston Sub, but has not been made fully active yet. That is one of the requirements of going to one-man operation, which the union is currently in the midst of fighting.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

PTC has been installed on the Weston Sub, but has not been made fully active yet. That is one of the requirements of going to one-man operation, which the union is currently in the midst of fighting.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What form of PTC was installed on the Weston Sub? I'm unaware of a common standard for PTC in North America, so it would be interesting to know what method or technology was implemented.

What form of PTC was installed on the Weston Sub? I'm unaware of a common standard for PTC in North America, so it would be interesting to know what method or technology was implemented.

There isn't a standard of installation that I'm aware of either, and at this point I don't know who's installation they've gone with. All I know is that the system is there and physically installed in the signal bungalows and onboard the UPX equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There isn't a standard of installation that I'm aware of either, and at this point I don't know who's installation they've gone with. All I know is that the system is there and physically installed in the signal bungalows and onboard the UPX equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Interesting. Hopefully they made a good choice, since unlike other PTC implementations that are either not mainline rail (subway) or are isolated (Capital Railway Indusi system) this system will likely have to expand and be compatible with multiple operators and future plans.

I'm not sure, but I assume he goes past Pearson to Union and then UPE to the airport. Looking at the map I see what you mean. I've never understood why GO just didn't move the Malton rail station to the airport, it's almost within walking distance now.

Report_Key_Maps_stations_colour_Rev1_Sept09.jpg

You don't know why GO... didn't move... an entire train station...and an entire corridor...which has been established in place since the 1800's...right next to one of the busiest airports in North America...

Oh I don't know... 0_0

The very shitty kind apparently, if its indeed the same system that they installed on the Pearson sub. The kind that stops a train going more than 5mphs under the maximum speed limit (operating at more that 35mph at the crest of the Person Viaduct were the speed limit is suppose to be 40mph will will cause the train to stop) The kind that is so unwieldy that in order for trains to function normally, the system has been cut out on practically every single UP consist I've every been on. That kind.

On another note, somebody also screwed up by not taking into consideration the effect of wear and tear that the tight curvatures on the Pearson sub would have on the equipment, hence two 15mph TSO's are now in place(likely permanently) at the start and end of the viaduct.

Last edited:
The very shitty kind apparently, if its indeed the same system that they installed on the Pearson sub. The kind that stops a train going more than 5mphs under the maximum speed limit .

A good (if painful) lesson learned before any more elevated structures (eg Davenport) are planned into the system.

I'm told that one of the features of the new CTC is an interlock that will only allow UPX trains to be routed onto the Pearson Sub, based on some sort of electronic identification of the approaching train. If the RTC were to inadvertently line a GO train or a freight onto this route, the signals would not clear.

I havent seen any sign of the 220 Mhz antennae that are used by the vanilla American PTC system around Pearson, so it may be some other technology.

- Paul

Does he use VIA all the way to Union then backtrack? Does it not work just as well to take GO to Weston and backtrack?
GO would obviously be slower though. It does make me wonder though if there would be sense in a VIA Station (along with the coming GO one) at Eglinton Crosstown (Black Creek) to better accommodate such trips.

GO would obviously be slower though. It does make me wonder though if there would be sense in a VIA Station (along with the coming GO one) at Eglinton Crosstown (Black Creek) to better accommodate such trips.

Would it?

GO from KW to Weston is 1 hour 43 minutes.
Via from KW to Unionis 1 hour and 35 minutes.

Is the UP Trip from Weston to Pearson 8 or more minutes shorter than Union to Pearson? I would think so. Certainly the time difference is so minimal that I don't know why someone would pay so much more money (ie. Via fare over GO fare and larger UP fare coming back) to access it.

Re: Kitchener to Pearson

The main determining factor is when.
GO <-> Weston <-> UPX only works at very specific times.
The last GO in the morning leaves shortly after 7am, which means an early morning.
When leaving Pearson to go to Kitchener, you're getting on one of two rather full GO trains at Weston, while carrying luggage.

I suspect that someone using VIA is doing so because it fits better into their schedule, despite being a longer, more expensive trip.
From Kitchener, there are only 4 trains to Toronto on an average weekday:
5:49 am (GO)
7:10 am (GO)
9:18 am (VIA)
9:42 pm (VIA)
If your flight is after 11am, GO is of no use to you.

Re: Kitchener to Pearson

The main determining factor is when.
GO <-> Weston <-> UPX only works at very specific times.
The last GO in the morning leaves shortly after 7am, which means an early morning.
When leaving Pearson to go to Kitchener, you're getting on one of two rather full GO trains at Weston, while carrying luggage.

I suspect that someone using VIA is doing so because it fits better into their schedule, despite being a longer, more expensive trip.
From Kitchener, there are only 4 trains to Toronto on an average weekday:
5:49 am (GO)
7:10 am (GO)
9:18 am (VIA)
9:42 pm (VIA)
If your flight is after 11am, GO is of no use to you.
The original poster on this discussion said that the person in question selects/tailors their flights around the VIA/UP schedule...so it would be just as easy to select/tailor flights around the shorter/less expensive GO/UP combination....no?

The original poster on this discussion said that the person in question selects/tailors their flights around the VIA/UP schedule...so it would be just as easy to select/tailor flights around the shorter/less expensive GO/UP combination....no?
That it would.
But as always, there's more factors involved when booking flights. Is getting on a train at 7am something this person is willing to do? Remember that the main competition for getting to the airport from Kitchener are taxis and shuttles. GO vs. VIA is a minor difference, comparitively.

Back