Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Thanks for the list of Uber fares.....I have never used Uber but your list leads me to a few questions....1) what are all those options and why the price difference? 2) It looks like you (likely for expediency) priced a trip from Yonge/Eg to Pearson...would the fare(s) be the same in the reverse direction? (lots of locations in the region it is cheaper to get a taxi to the airport than it is from the airport..is it the same on Uber? 3) I have heard that Uber prices are variable based on demand.......is that a factor in determining how to leave the airport?

Uber offers a variety of different services.

• UberX: The least expensive Uber service. Seats 4 riders. Drivers use everyday cars that are 2000 or newer
  • UberXL: Seats at least 6 passengers. An UberXL car will be an SUV or a Minivan. Higher fare price than UberX
  • UberPlus/UberSelect: A luxury sedan that seats up to 4 riders. Expect a BMW, Mercededs, Audi, etc with a leather interior
  • UberPOOL: Share your ride with another person and split the cost. Only available in LA, SF, NYC, and Paris. Read more.
  • UberBLACK (Black Car): Uber’s ‘executive’ luxury service. Commercially registered and insured livery vehicles, typically a black SUV or luxury sedan. Highest fare price
    http://www.ridesharingdriver.com/whats-the-difference-between-uberx-xl-uberplus-and-black-car/

The reverse trip would be the same price, as pricing is based on distance like any other cab (+ base fare and other fees).

Prices are variable based on demand. During times of high demand, something called "surge pricing" kicks in. It's designed to encourage more drivers to come online in order to meet the demand. You are warned that surge pricing is in effect before you can book a vehicle. Basically, if there is a big event going on in the city, expect surge pricing. Same for major weather events.

That is different than airport taxis....who are subject to flat fares from the airport (but not to the airport)
The taxi fares from the airport are on the Airport website - http://www.torontopearson.com/en/toandfrom/taxilimo

Yonge & Eglinton is from $47 (NW corner) to $52 (SE corner). Plus tip.

upload_2015-10-13_13-16-34.png

Boivard and Hurontario in Brampton is similar.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-13_13-16-34.png
    upload_2015-10-13_13-16-34.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 561
I never understood why instead of a dedicated train they didn't simply extend the regular subway by 10 km from Kipling to the airport. This would have served all the airport employees and budget conscious flyers.

Because there are plans to Extend the Eglinton and Finch LRTs to the airport.

Maybe it's time I move to Europe where tipping is considered rude and condescending.

Tell me more about this magical 'Europe' that has uniform customs and expectations all across the continent o_O

Seriously, it varies from being expected to being customary but not always expected to entirely unexpected.

Suppose UP Express doesn't meet its targets and gets shut down - could another outfit take it over from Metrolinx?

If the TTC takes over it, what purpose will it serve? Will they all of a sudden start subsidizing the fares so its cheaper?

Suppose UP Express doesn't meet its targets and gets shut down - could another outfit take it over from Metrolinx?

Certainly. They'll find it even harder to break-even as Metrolinx will be charging trackage fees.

The most likely organization to take over UPX is Metrolinx's Toronto<->London HSR program. Assuming HSR gets built, those tracks will be very well used by the HSR program. The UPX spur will likely be used by a people-mover of some sort.

Since Metrolinx and MTO are assuming HSR will get built (they're tendering for business cases, EA's, etc.), expect absolutely no changes to UPX operations for the next decade even if it does run at a loss.

In short, even if special UPX ceases to exist as a company (and I don't really understand why it's a separate company), the infrastructure along that corridor including the spur will be used for very similar purposes.

Last edited:
If we eventually see road tolls, downtown congestion charges or other gov't means of reducing road usage we may see the need for the UPE increase. I think we have to look at UPE as a long term project.

Is the UPE the only intercity train in Ontario that does not share tracks with CN/CP or other freight train networks? That alone is an achievement that must make VIA and GO envious.

Is the UPE the only intercity train in Ontario that does not share tracks with CN/CP or other freight train networks? That alone is an achievement that must make VIA and GO envious.

The only section not shared is the Pearson Sub, the spur into the airport.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm not sorry to see the City keeping the pressure on ML about how things have ended up, but it's not constructive to use the UPX startup as a way of leveraging 'turf'. ST needs to stick to its own knitting.

Keep in mind that ST can be added to this line without eliminating or changing UPX very much. Ssuppose UPX is wound back to a 20 minute headway - not much of a sacrifice, and not really harming its marketability much - and ST/RER trains (terminating somewhere other than Pearson - say Malton or Brampton) are interleaved into the headway. Both can coexist. 15 minute headways for both might be trickier but with more track, who knows?

The interesting question remains - how long should ML be given to achieve its promise of a well used, premium fare superservice to the Airport. This needs to be a do or die proposition, but realistically it needs 18 or 24 months. If it works, great, keep it.....if not, paint the trains green and white, roll the operations back into GO, and open a Hortons at Union to replace the elitist business traveller latte stand.

ML does need to have an independent auditor look at whether GO could deliver the Various UPE overhead functions (Finance, Marketing, Fare Enforcement, etc) on a "shared service" basis more economically than having two separate internal functions. This is a pretty common organizational model out in the real world.

- Paul

Suppose UPX is wound back to a 20 minute headway - not much of a sacrifice, and not really harming its marketability much - and ST/RER trains (terminating somewhere other than Pearson - say Malton or Brampton) are interleaved into the headway. Both can coexist. 15 minute headways for both might be trickier but with more track, who knows?

Both can have very frequent headways if the stops are mostly the same and the section around Union is either fixed or avoided by Smart Track (tunnel through the downtown core). Might require resignalling those 2 tracks for a much smaller block size (far more expensive than you might think).

That said, I think Smart Track isn't going anywhere if it has a definition different than GO RER (including fare) on existing GO tracks.

Back