Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Last Sunday at T1 I was taken aback by how many Jays fans were returning from the game via UPX. Wouldn't surprise me if half the train were Jays fans.

I took UPX for the first time last week from YYZ to Bloor at around 5.25. Packed two car set, people standing in the vestibules. Found the engine note from the diesel noticeable. Only saw two people on the platform leaving Weston.

Also, when getting a GO from Bloor to Malton around 8.30, noted a sizeable number getting on a UPX heading downtown. Because of the platform layout it was hard to say exactly how many.

Last Sunday at T1 I was taken aback by how many Jays fans were returning from the game via UPX. Wouldn't surprise me if half the train were Jays fans.

this past weekend was a crazy weekend downtown with events (Jays, WCOH TFC) all happening around the same time that meant there were nearly 100k sports fans (not including other events) to transport around.....add in the subway closure and the Ex loop closure and more people were likely inclined to find some transit to get them where they were going. We were headed for the 5 o'clock TFC match and rather than drive to Long Branch and find no parking (who agreed to move the Jays game from 1 oclock to 4 o'clock anyway?) we drove to Weston where parking was plentiful.....some observations from the day:

• there were ~ 15 people getting on the train at Weston....most looked headed for the Jays game.
  • the ticket lady was overwhelmed by the number of people who got on there and actually just made an impromptu announcement "if you got on at Weston please raise your hands".....on the way to the platform some guy had asked us where you pay we rushed by but said "either the machine or pay more on the train"....he got on the train and never raised his hand....fare evaded.
  • Similar at Bloor...probably another 15 people got on.
  • On our return trip it was the first time in our experience having to wait for the next train. They do have two lines (one for Weston and Bloor) and one for "Aiprort passengers and employees"...bit of chaos as people seemed to be streaming out of Rogers Centre and joining the latter line....so they really aren't checking....hope no one misses a flight because they are left behind.
  • That is probably the 5 or 6 time we have used it to get to TFC matches....certainly this was the busiest we have seen it.....they still have to work on some things to handle the crowds on days like this but it is nice to see it being used and providing a support line when others are busy.

They do have two lines (one for Weston and Bloor) and one for "Aiprort passengers and employees".
Had to think back, and realized they do that during rush hours too, as had to catch one back from the Island yesterday around 4 (with visiting friend and my trusty dog I walk). It makes perfect sense, the original and *premium price* purpose of that run is to serve airport customers. They should get priority, but didn't realize what the other line-up was for until you mentioned that, now it makes perfect sense. In the event, there were very few going to airport, and dog parked himself in the lower luggage rack to keep his toes out of the way of attacking shoes. UPX staff love him, as do most travellers, he's very well behaved and confirms their policy of dogs allowed as being sensible and good practice. Off the record, I've had no problems at all with him on GO trains as well, albeit always outside of peak. The trick is to not be a problem, and if a problem isn't presented, they don't have to crack the whip, and we all win.

Now if only a lot more suburban transit systems would realize the same, they'd get a lot more business off-peak as riders take their dogs to new places to walk them. TTC is archaic in many ways, but light-years ahead with dogs outside of rush hour being allowed on.

I like dogs but can't really agree they should be on transit. Seeing eye dog being the exception. But I also think dogs should always be on a leash outside of dog parks and owners properties. People with dogs often forget others are not dog people and some are very scared of them.

Well, you're welcome to your opinion. I might not like you, but that shouldn't stop you from travelling on the TTC. I get just a little tired of people's reactive little quirks that then reflect in taking away others' freedoms.

Dogs, like bikes, like walking, like transit...*improve* the general well-being of our society. Can't have that now, can we? Next thing you know, cyclists will be expecting to share the roads with cars. Don't you just hate that?

Some people think immigrants shouldn't be allowed on transit.

Meantime, the backward Brits, (what would they know about transit, being backward societal savages) who allow dogs in pubs and restaurants too (as do most Europeans) state this:
[...]
Which got us thinking — what's the deal with animals on public transport? Which ones are allowed and which ones are unwelcome? On the sliding scale of chihuahua to alpaca, where is the line drawn? And what's the criteria for what's allowed? Size? Species? Cuteness?

According to TfL's Conditions of Carriage (PDF — scroll to page 50), assistance dogs are welcome. Any other "dog or inoffensive animal" may also travel with you, "unless there is a good reason for us to refuse it (such as if the animal seems dangerous)". We're assuming the python and the tarantula went incognito then.

Rules also apply to moving animals around tube stations — unless you have an assistance dog which has been trained to walk on moving escalators, you'll have to carry your furry friend. If Fido's too big for this, you'll have to use the lift or stairs, or if that's not an option, wait for TfL staff to stop the escalator — which understandably could be a few hours in peak times.

National Rail's Conditions of Carriage (PDF - scroll to page 27) are more clear-cut regarding animals. Again, assistance dogs are welcome. Other than that, you can take two dogs or small domestic animals with you. Dogs must be kept on a lead, and all other animals must be transported in pet carriers (maximum 85 x 60 x 60 cm). Under no circumstances are you allowed to bring livestock or a non-domestic animal on a train.

It's worth checking with your individual train or transport operator company before you travel though, as restrictions may vary.

Got a question about London that you've always wanted answered? We'll have a go at answering it. Just let us know what it is in the comments below.

*We have no way of verifying these stories, so we're hoping you're a trustworthy bunch.
http://londonist.com/2015/09/whichanimalscanyoutakeonthetube

Of course, we're vastly more civilized than they are...albeit both TTC and UPX allow them too. I guess some will have to avoid the TTC and UPX as a result?
[...]
Each guest may bring a maximum of two dogs, cats, or other small animals on board free of charge. Dogs must be on a leash or in a carrier. Cats and other small animals must be in a pet carrier that allows room for the pet to stand or lie down with comfort.
[...]
https://www.upexpress.com/CustomerSupport/Faq

Savages....

Immigrants don't bite people. Truthfully I don't want anything furry around my food. I cant speak for other peoples dogs but mine begs for food. I was just at Yorkdale Mall and a lady had her dog in the mall. It was a Paris Hilton sized dog but to me that is not the point. I'm guessing most dog owners think there dog is a good dog and is not capable of biting anyone yet it happens. One last story, once I worked at a high end retail at bay and bloor. A customer came in with their dog which then continued to poo on our store floor. The manager had us paper rock scissors to see who picked it up. People don't poop on public floors a expect others to pick it up. I never called other people savages for wanting this, I just have a hard time thinking the majority approve of it (a poll would help). Maybe I am wrong though. I do appreciate dog parks so people can let their dogs off their leash in a confined space. BTW I have no problem with animals in carriers.

Last edited:
Most of the time the problem is more the owners than the dogs. I often go trail running and will often encounter dogs off-leash. It's intimidating to have a dog come bounding toward you regardless of whether the owner is assuring me that it's a "friendly dog". Having a strange dog jump on me isn't friendly behaviour, regardless of its temperament at the time. This is an issue of training - the owner's responsibility - and recognizing the inappropriate behaviour of the dog and acting accordingly (only let it off-leash in a dog park) - once again the owner's responsibility. Unfortunately, it seems like a significant percentage of owners seem unable to properly assess how intimidating and threatening their dogs may be. This goes for small "cute" dogs just as much as larger dogs and often more so as the owners of small dogs seem to be particularly lax in training them.

Well, you're welcome to your opinion. I might not like you, but that shouldn't stop you from travelling on the TTC. I get just a little tired of people's reactive little quirks that then reflect in taking away others' freedoms.

Dogs, like bikes, like walking, like transit...*improve* the general well-being of our society. Can't have that now, can we? Next thing you know, cyclists will be expecting to share the roads with cars. Don't you just hate that?

I am very allergic to dogs. Not a reactive quirk...but a very serious allergy. So much so that I need to make sure that there are none near me on the subway/planes. Just like those with nut allergies.

Do I have less rights than the dog? Some may treat them as a child but they are not people and do not have the rights of people.

You are taking away from my freedoms...not the other way around. And dogs have just as many negatives as positives for society. Look at the environmental impact of dogs. Look at how it impacts food prices for the neediest communities in the world. Don't stand on your pedestal without understanding the impacts to others.

Do I have less rights than the dog?
In law, animals have no rights. Bicycles have no rights. Fashion has no rights. But people do, and their rights are are expressed, a Code of Rights besides, by majority wish:

SkyTrain and bus dog policy challenged by transit user
Leashed dogs already allowed on Calgary, Toronto and Seattle transit, but not in Vancouver

Should dogs be allowed on Vancouver transit?
Yes - woof! 46.24% (1,687 votes)

No - grrrr! 43.59% (1,590 votes)

Don't mind - bow-wow 6.99% (255 votes)

I prefer cats - meow 2% (73 votes)

Don't know - squeak! 1.18% (43 votes)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...g-policy-challenged-by-transit-user-1.2827162

Last edited:
To be practical about this..... airlines allow dogs on their planes. The UPX's target market is airline passengers. Refusing to carry dogs on UPX would not make any more sense than refusing to carry cellos. (Yes, I sat next to one of those on one flight, and it hogged the armrest the whole time).

- Paul

To be practical about this..... airlines allow dogs on their planes. The UPX's target market is airline passengers. Refusing to carry dogs on UPX would not make any more sense than refusing to carry cellos. (Yes, I sat next to one of those on one flight, and it hogged the armrest the whole time).

- Paul
Most cellos are mellow! The anti-dog thing is so Canadian. Most Europeans are astounded that a nation that's preoccupied with claiming how green and progressive it is is so neurotic about Man's Best Friend.

The TTC has had no problems, and dogs have been allowed on out of peak for generations. Most travellers on UPX, and the staff, swoon over Big Black Lab. I always ask if people mind when sitting or standing next to them, and invariably the answer is "We have one, he's beautiful, can I pet him?" As in hospitals and workplaces, it reduces tension and allows people communicate.

Well...lol...some people. But that's their option. This whole 'allergy' business gets more than a little tedious, and it's neurology, not allergy, at work.

Next: Banning people who eat peanuts on transit...

Allow, with restrictions. The current rules make sense (muzzled or in cage, no exotics) and it's really not that big of an issue given how rarely it happens.

Now, eating and messing up the trains, littering, having their feet up the seat and other sociopathic behaviours - that's what we should focus on. Sometimes I am not sure if some of my fellow passengers are just animals given how they behave. Certainly the dogs I have seen so far on the train would beat a significant portion of those.

AoD

Back