Toronto The Bentway (was Under Gardiner) | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

What should be the permanent name for the park under the Gardiner?

• The Artery

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • The Bentway

Votes: 76 41.8%
  • Under Gardiner

Votes: 52 28.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 42 23.1%

• Total voters
I've just tweeted this out:

UGardiner.jpg

If you agree, retweet. With enough retweets, we might get some traction.

Attachments

• UGardiner.jpg
    UGardiner.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 771
LOL at "Gathering Place"... Could they have included a more basic, literal and un-catchy option than that?

I get they're trying to honour the FN's with that one - but PLEASE.

LOL at "Gathering Place"... Could they have included a more basic, literal and un-catchy option than that?

I get they're trying to honour the FN's with that one - but PLEASE.
This one wouldn't be so bad IF it wasn't in English but in Iroquois (or whichever linguistic group is represented by the lands here). Public names that are obviously inspired by Native Canadians should probably actually be in Native languages.

I got this response from a WaterfrontToronto staffer in a public Facebook group which basically explains these dull choices:
Yup, I'm seeing all the tweets and sad/angry/negative FB comments. Undeniably there is a group that doesn't like the four options that made it to the voting round. And they are vocal.

What do you recommend? Would you want us to overturn an entire naming and voting process that went through like five layers of approval at Waterfront Toronto, the City of Toronto, and with the donors who are funding the project? Should I tell the twelve jurors that made the shortlist that some folks don't like the decision they came to by consensus, so we're overturning it and starting over? (Do you know how hard it is to get twelve people to arrive at consensus?)

the whole naming process thing to me seemed like a big waste of time and effort. But whatever. Good thing 12 people came to a consensus.

I like the artery best, the canopy I guess is ok. But gathering place is terrible in English, and I'm sorry but the bentway? Please no

This one wouldn't be so bad IF it wasn't in English but in Iroquois (or whichever linguistic group is represented by the lands here). Public names that are obviously inspired by Native Canadians should probably actually be in Native languages.

I got this response from a WaterfrontToronto staffer in a public Facebook group which basically explains these dull choices:

The name of our city is incorrectly associated with the native word for gathering place. That would just be confusing.

" I'm going to Toronto down the street. Wanna come?"

Let's back off, everyone. It's REALLY hard for 12 people to come up with a good name so let's just stick with one of these mediocre ones.

That's exactly what the problem is - naming by committee. What they should have done is hire a good ad company. None is this quasi-democratic engagement buy-in PR stuff.

AoD

Here are some of the rejected names, as listed in today's Metro:

• Shoreline Welcome Mat
  • Big Daddy's Town
  • Fort One-Six
  • FunderDome
  • Generous Gift of Beautiful Amazing Park From Glorious and Perfect Automobile Overlords
  • That One Park That's Different
  • Pig Lipstick Park
  • Fat Panda Fort
  • Zipper Lane in The Over Under
  • The Vroom Vroom Room
  • La Piazza Del Futuro
  • The Gardiner Canopy
  • Underline (rejected because of a similar space in Miami)

Back