Toronto U of T: Goldring Student Centre at Victoria University | ?m | 3s | U of T | Moriyama & Teshima

March 9, 2012

6970137449_d442bb9031_b.jpg

I'm still really disappointed by the projected design. I wish they would have had Hariri Pontarini design something to micic their office building (currently leased to McKinsey & Company) next door.

I hadn't seen the addition until today and was really surprised how much this project changes the whole area. Besides creating a new courtyard or quad it opens up new pathways to Bloor through The Colonnade and to Sultan along the northside of the McKinsey Building. Photos taken 7 January 2013

IMG_2319_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2320_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2322_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2324_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2323_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2325_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2327_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2329_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2328_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2330_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2335_1-XL.jpg

I am told the completion of this building is greatly anticipated by the students residing at Margaret Addison as they will get to sleep in like every student deserves to ;)

This is disappointing to me. I think Hariri Pontarini could have done something far better here (than what Moriyama Teshima created) which would reflect their McKinsey&Co. building across the field. This just looks too cold, institutional and "50s St. Michael's College" to me. McKinsey&Co, as well as other Vic buildings like the Bader Theatre just feel so much 'warmer' architecturally, even though they also make heavy use of stone cladding.

Last edited:
Holy bomb shelter. I like the texture, but I agree, this is very cold. The Brutalism fan inside me likes it a bit, but I wish they'd gone a few shades darker or offered up some contrasting colours/shades.

For what it's worth, I think the stone appears softer in person than the pictures indicate. Also Spire, it isn't HP here.

The newly formed quad here might be another gem a la UC, once the trees have 10 years to mature.

Exactly. I was wishing that HP would have been brought in to design this project.

Ah, I misunderstood. Yes, HP could have done a nice parallel, although the materials on the McKinsey building are really high end. The U of T has money, but not that much!

This is pretty much done now and open to the public (Balzac's coffee for $1.50 at the cafe downstairs btw).

It feels very fluid inside and is a nice addition overall. One thing that they did (this is very clever, I think) is add taut, heavy duty but thin wire in front of each window at ground level and in front of the glass above the green roof entryway. Along the wire is some kind of ivy that is already growing rapidly. When grown, the greenery should help mitigate the heating and cooling from having the large southfacing glass.

Back